Talk

Advanced search

What's good at the weekend?

(17 Posts)
TanteJeanne Sat 07-Jan-17 13:10:19

I listen to Radio 2 in the week- anything from Vanessa through to Simon Mayo. Bit of chat, bit of easy music...
I can't stand R2 at weekends though. What else could anyone recommend weekend daytimes?
I am widowed with youngish children. While I love them dearly, they are not always stimulating conversationalists. It's very lonely and listening to something cheerful and chatty helps me through the days.
What do you recommend???

YesThisIsMe Sat 07-Jan-17 13:18:20

Radio 6.
There's always FunKidsLive if you can face it.
And Radio 3 has some nice chatty programmes with lovely music at the weekend - it's educational too.

YesThisIsMe Sat 07-Jan-17 13:19:03

In particular Jarvis Cocker is excellent on Sunday afternoons on Radio 6.

TanteJeanne Sat 07-Jan-17 13:26:47

Thanks Yes. Will give Six a try. Hope I recognise some of the music!

TanteJeanne Sat 07-Jan-17 15:45:12

Btw what is FunKidsLive???

YesThisIsMe Sat 07-Jan-17 15:52:01

It's a radio station for kids, online or on DAB in some regions. You might like it or hate it.

TanteJeanne Sun 08-Jan-17 19:53:25

Not sure Six Music is for me. Too music oriented! The music is quite obscure to me(!) and the chat is all music based from what I've heard this weekend.
Any other suggestions???

YesThisIsMe Sun 08-Jan-17 20:36:48

Ah well, at least you gave it a go. Some of the Radio 4 weekend stuff is quite chatty and accessible - Desert Island Discs, The News Quiz, The Food Programme etc.

Or you could just download a load of stuff to your phone/computer to listen to at your convenience, either podcasts or the iPlayer Radio app - any of the Radio 2 people who you miss because they are on during the nighttime perhaps, or Kermode and Mayo's fantastic Radio 5 film programme which is brilliant for keeping people company and building up a sense of community (there are ten years of back catalogue of that one, so if you get into it there's an unlimited supply.

IsThatYouPaul Sun 08-Jan-17 20:45:05

I stumbled across - and am now a tad obsessed with - Elis James and John Robins on Radio X (Saturday @ 1pm).

The playlist is generally rock/alternative but very mainstream and VERY repetitive, but the chat is top. So funny and warm, you just chuckle along with them all through.

There's a podcast each week (and several this past week as they sat in on a weekday show too) so maybe have a listen to that first, to see if it's your thing.

I love it, have it in my ears (oo-er) whenever I can.

DubiousCredentials Sun 08-Jan-17 20:52:36

I love Liza Tarbuck on R2 on Sat evening, 6-8pm I think? But I actively dislike most of R2 at the weekend.

YesThisIsMe Sun 08-Jan-17 21:08:00

Oh I might have a go at that Radio X thing - I could listen to Elis James' voice all day long.

TheBitterBoy Sun 08-Jan-17 21:14:42

Radio 4 is where I listen at the weekends. Saturday Live in the morning. I love the kitchen cabinet and Desert Island discs. No music though. I agree that downloading the Mayo and Kermode film show from 5live would be a plan.

IsThatYouPaul Sun 08-Jan-17 21:37:09

I heartily recommend it YesThis

It seems to be a genuine friendship so it's a very comfortable listen, with proper laugh out loud moments. Elis seems a lovely, caring and eternally optimistic fella. With beautiful pronounciation!

lapsedorienteerer Sun 08-Jan-17 21:45:00

Radio 5 Live Sat 0900 Danny Baker, not to everyones taste I know.

Radio 4, also 0900 Richard Coles

TanteJeanne Sun 08-Jan-17 22:30:36

Thanks all. Loads of helpful ideas here for next weekend.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Mon 09-Jan-17 11:17:53

You could try the back catalogue of Soul Music on Radio 4 i player. www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008mj7p There seem to be a huge number there. It's a programme where people talk about what a song or well-known piece of music means to them. Some of it is very sad, but I usually find it very positive listening overall.

fairycakecentral Sat 14-Jan-17 09:37:02

Classic FM does music from films on a Saturday at 5pm. We're not Classic FM fans as a rule but we like this.

Our go to stations is
R4 if not suitable/boring then
R3 if obscure atonal then
Classic. If Aled Jones, bill turnbull, Alex from blur, DH then puts on Absulute 80s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now