Talk

Advanced search

Surprise surprise - Kirsty has a Mini Sausage Roll in the oven! Discuss the Archers here

(980 Posts)
PseudoBadger Tue 03-Jan-17 10:28:07

Happy New Year to you all.

ppeatfruit Tue 03-Jan-17 10:31:33

Oh good title psuedo thanks for it!!! Thanks for the NY wishes too.

Vango Tue 03-Jan-17 10:32:07

Oh hello! Just posted on the other thread about Pat. Happy New Year to you and to all.

ppeatfruit Tue 03-Jan-17 10:32:19

Wow I'm first for the first time!

Gruach Tue 03-Jan-17 10:38:01

Excellent!

Thank you Pseudo flowers

BoreOfWhabylon Tue 03-Jan-17 10:40:27

Happy New Year, my invisible friends!

Excellent title Pseudo

Abraiid2 Tue 03-Jan-17 10:41:31

Great title!

FrancisCrawford Tue 03-Jan-17 10:42:07

Happy New Year everyone!

Why is Pat still treating Helen like a special snowflake?

Because she always has.
Helen has been simultaneously described as "fragile" and "doggedly independent" by the Beeb for many years. Which used to mean that she was great at getting her own way most of the time. Much like the Dopeys, Pat has long been wildly biased in favour if her daughter to the detriment of her other living child. Had Helen disappeared after calling off a wedding, Pat would have personally led the hunt, dragging Tony along behind her and left no stone unturned.

redshoeblueshoe Tue 03-Jan-17 10:43:16

archers Thanks Psuedo.

redshoeblueshoe Tue 03-Jan-17 10:53:25

Totally agree Francis. I have no idea why all the adult children in TA are either treated like teenagers, or as if they were the messiah. Helen is nearly 38, and has never actually been independent, despite the rubbish the Beeb may spout.

JigglyTuff Tue 03-Jan-17 11:04:34

Thanks for new thread Pseudo - happy new year to you and the thread smile

I agree with whoever said on the previous thread that they have no idea what's taking Toebee to Brighton - they're feverishly trying to come up with a SL to fit.

What day was it that he rushed back? I'm trying to figure out if it was a BH or not - if BH, he's presumably not seeing a probation officer. Gambling debts sound plausible

80sWaistcoat Tue 03-Jan-17 11:08:08

I suspect whatever or whoever is in Brighton, and I like the wife idea, pip will be all cool about it...

DadDadDad Tue 03-Jan-17 11:26:08

Thanks, Pseudo, for the new thread.

And thanks, Megatherium, for stalking me keeping tabs on my prediction that the last one would make it to New Year's Day.

These threads clocked up nearly 30,000 posts in 2016, a big leap on previous years, thanks to the stabbing of a knife.

We should reach post 75,000 in the next few months.

enochroot Tue 03-Jan-17 11:26:15

Thanks for the new thread.
Whatever is in Brighton seems to require large chunks of cash. He had to find £500 fairly recently. It's distinctly shady but I too wonder if the SWs are trying to wriggle out of an implausible SOC inspired plot and don't know which way to go with this.

Vango Tue 03-Jan-17 11:30:47

That was me Jiggly and here it is again for the new thread (and because I strongly suspect it's the case) 😁

I have a strong suspicion that somebody, somewhere, is frantically re-listening to rather a lot of old episodes trying desperately to write a convincing explanation for 'Brighton'. I suspect this is one of those 'not quite thought through' scenarios (cf. Ethan's conception).

Vango Tue 03-Jan-17 11:33:13

And I also posted about Pat and Helen! Helen's had a dreadful couple of years. I have every sympathy for Pat's ongoing concern about her.

NotdeadyetBOING Tue 03-Jan-17 11:37:49

The SWs had better not try to wriggle out of the Brighton mystery SL. We have had it dangled in front of us so many times now they owe it to us to deliver something suitably juicy. I suspect hapless ex-partner/wife with sprog. And PLEASE 80swaistcoat can you be wrong with your prediction that Pip will be fine with it in dogged 'so there' fashion.

JigglyTuff Tue 03-Jan-17 11:39:02

Thank you Vango. Also agree with you that Pat is rightly mollycoddling Helen at the moment.

The 'not quite thought through' scenarios are many and varied: two that immediately spring to mind are the ever expanding/shrinkage of bedrooms at Brookfield/Blossom Hill Cottage spring to mind (Anisha was very clear that BHC only has two bedrooms and yet there was that lovely guestroom ready and waiting for Arsula).

Girlwhowearsglasses Tue 03-Jan-17 11:42:41

Brighton can surely only be one of: debt, probation, dependents (child?, woman?), addiction, gang.....

Most likely is a child but that's too easy and why would it be hidden? Whatever it is is surely illegal/frowned upon or why the mystery

GypsyFl0ss Tue 03-Jan-17 11:44:00

Thankyou Pseudo for another cracking title , may it be a long and interesting year for us all.

Vango Tue 03-Jan-17 11:51:13

Right now there's no way it can be a wife and/or child. I don't believe for one second that Rex wouldn't have spoken to Pip about something so significant. That's why I think the SWs have quite a job to do to write something convincing and consistent. Unless it's an ex-girlfriend who found out she was pregnant after she and Toby had broken up some time last year? Maybe Rex doesn't know himself? Could the dash to Brighton have been the birth?

Vango Tue 03-Jan-17 11:53:53

Car broken down = long labour?

Vango Tue 03-Jan-17 12:07:29

Visit before - scan?

FrancisCrawford Tue 03-Jan-17 12:07:39

It's interesting to compare the fates of two mothers with two children in TA. Both have large and loving families, but they have very different lives.

Emma has to struggle, she is (was) cleaning for Peggy and Ruth, now in the tea room annexed to another Archer establishment. Despite having a partner who also works hard they have faced huge housing difficulties and are regularly shown struggling with money. At one point she and Ed were almost starving themselves as they had so little money.

Helen has never struggled for long. She lasted a few weeks as a single mum before rushing home. She extended her maternity leaveand then went back part time, where her (part time),salary as manager of a small shop would never have supported her and Henry. She gets a lovely wodge of cash from Peggy as a wedding present. Even the worries about the size of her legal bills has receded into the background and there is no question of her having to work in order to support herself and her two children.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 03-Jan-17 12:09:06

Hello and happy new year!

Hayley herself was not exactly out of the top drawer and even had a Birmingham accent to prove it

I know that's from the old thread but bloody hell shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now