zzzz Keep the Home Front Boring - is ANYONE listening?

(8 Posts)
shinynewusername Wed 30-Mar-16 20:36:54

Is it just me or is Home Front the least engaging, most tedious R4 programme of all time - and I include You and Yours in that?

It's an achievement to take 4 of the most dramatic, tragic years of human existence, the years that gave rise to a great flowering of art & literature and produce something utterly pedestrian without a single interesting character, but the Beeb seems to have managed it. We're only 2 years in, already the thing seems to have lasted longer than the war itself and I haven't met anyone who admits to listening. Am I being unfair?

Helenluvsrob Thu 31-Mar-16 11:24:08

Completely with you on this!

My suspicion is that it might have been " the most dramatic , tragic years of human existence" but actually the Home Front it's self WAS the most tedious place to be- when the only real entertainment was how to make one sausage and a turnip feed 6. The 1940 MN chicken without the internet!

tibbawyrots Thu 31-Mar-16 20:06:17

It's easy listening for when I'm doing something complicated so I pay attention to what I'm doing rather than the story iyswim

ColdTeaAgain Thu 31-Mar-16 23:13:39

I quite like it blush am months behind though, I put an omnibus on every now and again but last few have been v sad.

Gruach Sat 02-Apr-16 17:31:42

Oh! Seeing this I thought it must have restarted.

I've found it enthralling so far - very frustrated when it disappeared, though I caught the tail end of a discussion about it the other day which suggested it might be coming back soon.

Or is it being aired elsewhere behind my back?

xmasadsboohiss Mon 18-Apr-16 23:30:01

i was just about to start a thread about this! such a tedious programme! i hear it almost every day and i still can't figure out if the same characters appear in each episode or if each one is a stand alone.

having said all that - today there was an awful 'comedy' about an Asian family running a corner shop on. they'd made an extra special effort to resurrect every racial stereotype from the 70s.

ZiggyPantaloons Mon 18-Apr-16 23:34:35

I caught up with all the episodes some time last year and I know who all they characters are. And I always catch up when it is on blush.

Catwin0 Mon 25-Apr-16 23:40:31

I think it is fantastic. Maybe i know who everyone is as I listen to it a lot. I think it is well-written, excellently acted, often poignant and very informative in so many ways. I really miss it in between series. A real tonic now The Archers has been ruined.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now