Talk

Advanced search

Jeremy Vine

(22 Posts)
thebestfurchinchilla Mon 21-Mar-16 14:07:20

How is it acceptable for Jeremy Vine to blatantly advertise his Eggheads show at the end of his radio 2 show. He gushes about it being the best quiz show. How dare he? God that man is so irritating. I only listen to him because he's on during my drive home at lunch time.

MissBianca Mon 21-Mar-16 16:09:40

He's like the Daily Mail on the radio - I only ever listen for a few minutes if I specially want to vent some spleen

thebestfurchinchilla Mon 21-Mar-16 17:46:40

Ha yes I see exactly what you mean about TDM. I've recently changed my job and never listened before but I thought it was a serious programme. he come across as quite stupid at times. Today topped it with him saying that the song 'Once I was 7 years old ' was so beautiful. Really? A song about smoking cannabis at 11....really beautiful hmm

thebestfurchinchilla Mon 21-Mar-16 17:47:20

He comes across! Sorry I have a sticky keyboard grrr!

ShowOfHands Mon 21-Mar-16 17:49:27

Sara Cox advertised her programme today. Chris Evans does it too. Can't see the issue.

I used to hate the JV show but you have to play Daily Mail bingo. It's oddly satisfying.

thebestfurchinchilla Mon 21-Mar-16 22:06:22

I haven't heard the others selling their shows. But I would disagree with that too. The reason being that the BBC does not allow advertising but obviously it's ok if the shows are also BBC shows. Double standards!

thebestfurchinchilla Mon 21-Mar-16 22:09:00

The BBC is not permitted to carry advertising or sponsorship on its public services. This keeps them independent of commercial interests and ensures they can be run purely to serve the general public interest.

On it's own website. Their own commercial interests are exempt obviously.

Susiesue61 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:10:59

I cannot bear his voice! And definitely it is like listening to the Daily Mail

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 21-Mar-16 22:11:00

The BBC run ads inbetween tv shows advertising other BBC programmes or services. I can't see how this is different. <shrugs>

thebestfurchinchilla Mon 21-Mar-16 22:14:19

JV advertises HIS show eggheads, that has nothing to do with his radio 2 show at lunch time. One is a topical/news programme and the other is a quiz. It's bad taste apart from anything else, plus he does it in a really cringe way saying it's the best quiz show on the TV. Cringe!

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 21-Mar-16 22:17:58

Well, he is clearly wrong about it being the best quiz show on tv - I can't stand to watch it, mainly because of the unbearable smugness of some of the 'eggheads', and I love quiz shows normally.

But I don't think JV mentioning the show at the end of his lunchtime show is breaking any rule within the BBC. It's just another plug, like the ads between programmes.

thebestfurchinchilla Mon 21-Mar-16 22:20:20

It's more than a mention. In my opinion it's not very BBC. Lacks modesty. No likey!

ACatastrophicMisintepretation Mon 21-Mar-16 22:23:13

I feel like Ive found friends here, I've been saying for years that he is like the Daily Mail on the radio... Everyone I know seems to like him but they only seem to know him from eggheads where he is reigned in.
He's abhorrent on the radio and I agree about the shameless plugging and it deffo wouldn't be allowed if it wasn't on the BBC too. Also, best quiz show on tv Jeremy???? It's hardly Pointless is it?!

loveisagirlnameddaisy Mon 21-Mar-16 22:23:58

Eggheads is on BBC2 so it's not a commercial advertisement. I read recently that Chris Evans has been asked to tone down his references to TFI Friday as that's on Channel 4.

thebestfurchinchilla Mon 21-Mar-16 22:24:04

Kindred spirit wink

thebestfurchinchilla Mon 21-Mar-16 22:25:12

BBC Radio 2 and BBC2 are both BBC programmes......

Susiesoap7 Tue 22-Mar-16 16:08:06

I love Jeremy 🌝🌝

frostyfingers Fri 25-Mar-16 12:03:25

Radio goes off as soon as he comes on - either to my local or off altogether. He makes my teeth grate.

tempo Tue 05-Apr-16 11:05:25

i don't have an issue about him plugging another show. Simply because I refuse to listen to JV anymore. When he started out no Radio 2 I thought he was great, but he has for a long time now been like the talking Daily Mail and he is unbearable.

So delighted to find kindred spirits ! :-)

Lottapianos Tue 05-Apr-16 11:07:43

Total audio Daily Mail. And dear lord he's so SHOUTY! I do listen sometimes though, if I feel my blood is in need of a quick boil smile

PirateSmile Tue 05-Apr-16 11:12:38

I don't think it's wrong because they're both BBC.

What i do dislike is Chris Evans constantly talking about his pub. That has to break the rules, surely?

WellErrr Tue 05-Apr-16 11:17:58

I've found my people!!

He IS the talking Daily Mail. I don't know why any self respecting expert in their field agrees to go on it. He's just awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now