Talk

Advanced search

suggestions for good radio plays/ dramas/series' please

(28 Posts)
ThreadyPants Sun 13-Mar-16 21:25:39

Or even comedy - I love satire.

I've got the iplayer radio app and need some new listening.

Thanks.

ThreadyPants Mon 14-Mar-16 19:12:49

No-one?

Kettricken Mon 14-Mar-16 19:18:30

The news quiz is funny. Cabin pressure is also very funny but not sure if it's on the iplayer as its not a recent comedy. Museum of curiosity is another series I've enjoyed.

Gruach Mon 14-Mar-16 19:21:38

Not comedy but the recent Jane Eyre adaptation on R4 was stupendous - really one of the best things I've heard in decades.

There was another outstanding adaptation recently - it's on the tip of my tongue!

Comedy ... On the radio? Nope. Does not compute.

Gruach Mon 14-Mar-16 19:22:45

Except Cabin Pressure obvs.

ThreadyPants Mon 14-Mar-16 19:24:18

I really enjoyed the recent r4 feminism trilogy I've completely forgotten it's name now. Something Girls?

Thank you, I'll be looking those up later.

Gruach Mon 14-Mar-16 19:47:10

Oh wow! Wide Sargasso Sea. Had completely forgotten that was on this weekend. Will have to iplay that myself. OP promise me you'll listen to that before Jane Eyre (even assuming you've read them both).

I've just noticed there has been a C.P. Snow serialisation on 4 Extra. Haven't heard it but there isn't enough C.P. Snow anywhere.

I'm not sure if The Forsytes is still available. That was stunning.

Are R3 Sunday dramas archived? If so you should seek out Dunsinane and Death & The King's Horseman which were both memorably wonderful.

Scarydinosaurs Mon 14-Mar-16 19:49:17

Have you ever tried The Archers? You could get a few omnibus episodes and go from there?

Although it isn't BBC, Serial is an amazing podcast that is worth listening to!

iklboo Mon 14-Mar-16 19:54:34

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. It's still available on BBC Radio iplayer.

IndridCold Wed 16-Mar-16 21:54:51

There's a drama called Pilgrim, which I really like. They've just done a new series so I think all of the previous series are on iplayer ATM.

Shallishanti Wed 16-Mar-16 21:57:29

in and out of the kitchen (much better on the radio, bit disappointing on TV)
Ed Reardon's week

Shallishanti Wed 16-Mar-16 21:58:25

the life and loves of a she devil- saw me through some very boring DIY

Chorltonswheelies422 Wed 16-Mar-16 22:04:24

I am really enjoying 'round the horne' - never heard the before - sheer genius

BorisJohnsonsHair Sat 19-Mar-16 22:06:33

Currently listening to Who Killed Zebedee by Wilkie Collins which is pretty good. Another vote for Jane Eyre and The Archers (just for fun). Book at Bedtime is often interesting for a change.

If you have another podcast app you should listen to the first series of Serial, which is the true account of man in prison for murder, and whether he is actually guilty or not. Compelling stuff.

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Sat 19-Mar-16 22:09:41

Did you listen to any of The Pilgrim series? They were fabulous, gaiman-esque stories. I listened to them while doing my half marathon training. It made my long runs a lot less boring!

FernetBranca Sat 19-Mar-16 22:11:53

I like The Untold on Radio 4 and have just started downloading The Moth from Radio 4 as well.

HopeClearwater Sat 19-Mar-16 23:16:56

Another Round the Horne recommendation here. Don't know how they got away with it. Finest innuendo in the English language.

MissBianca Mon 21-Mar-16 16:08:35

Jane Eyre was brilliant, loved it.

Heard a bit of The Magus on Sunday and it sounded good too.

MalmseyWhine Mon 21-Mar-16 17:25:26

There was a radio 4 play on before Christmas called Fat Little Thing that I really enjoyed. It had a Victoria Wood vibe about it but was heartbreaking really.

piebald Thu 24-Mar-16 20:29:43

I have been enjoying A charles Paris mystery, A decent interval
A lot of the 15 minute dramas on R4 are excellent
Try David Sedaris

polyhymnia Tue 29-Mar-16 13:51:10

Yet another vote for Jane Eyre - brilliant.

Lanark2 Wed 06-Apr-16 05:05:08

Just discovered Mr and Mrs Smith, on iPlayer, and it's v. Funny..

TeaAndCake Sat 09-Apr-16 00:12:04

Cabin Pressure
John Finnemore's Double Acts (sublime writing)
Ed Reardon's Week
Rumpole
Chain Reaction (not drama but very good)

Try Googling TPK Radio Links Tumblr. Loads and loads of R4 comedy series there.

TeaAndCake Sat 09-Apr-16 00:16:16

Sorry to hijack but I heard an afternoon play quite some years ago now called Goldfish Girl with Juliette Stevenson which was brilliant but have had no luck at all finding on the Internet.

Anyone remember it?

Stickerrocks Sat 09-Apr-16 11:22:37

I got Spoonface Steinberg from Audible a few weeks ago. I heard it on the R4 afternoon play slot years ago and it's haunted me ever since. Unfortunately it's too old for iPlayer.

Silk is good. They broadcast that again in the afternoon this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now