Talk

Advanced search

really dislike Saturday live

(21 Posts)
Wordsaremything Sat 12-Mar-16 10:04:44

One of the few things on r 4 I have to switch off. I hate the high octane chattiness of it.

Marchate Sat 12-Mar-16 13:23:44

It's awful. Worse since it was extended to 90 mins

polyhymnia Sun 13-Mar-16 01:14:04

I don't mind it at all most of the time but used to feel just that way about that awful John Peel programme.

Marchate Sun 13-Mar-16 09:58:09

Yes, Saturday mornings seem to be the time to inflict dreadful programmes on the innocent listener

BYOSnowman Sun 13-Mar-16 17:51:36

Agree! Seemed a criminal offence to say it in the John peel days.

Am I allowed to say I can't bear the reverend

polyhymnia Sun 13-Mar-16 17:55:39

I actually have a soft spot for Rev RC, but loathed JP with a passion. I think we are both entitled to our views without fear of judgment, human or divine.

stargirl1701 Sun 13-Mar-16 18:04:48

Agreed. Dreadful programme.

BYOSnowman Sun 13-Mar-16 18:33:26

I never understood the jp hype

Pipbin Sun 13-Mar-16 18:35:01

I like it. But then I liked Home Truths. I see I might be alone on this though.

polyhymnia Sun 13-Mar-16 20:16:29

Well I guess lots of people liked it - it was on for enough years (blighting our Saturday morning).

Wordsaremything Mon 14-Mar-16 08:37:09

I have a paw in both camps- I liked home truths and I don't mind the Rev - but I can't stand the rest of it. J p is beyond irritating.

Sunday mornings are better, but I also need to switch off the church service.

Which is worse - Saturday live or those hideously unfunny comedies at 11pm, the ones with canned laughter? Dreadful

Apart from that I love r 4 and would pay my licence fee just for it ( see previous thread)

polyhymnia Mon 14-Mar-16 09:00:27

Much prefer Saturday
Live to those 11.00 pm unfunny efforts. But agree about JP.

OldestStory Mon 14-Mar-16 13:35:52

I am so pleased to see this thread, I hate this programme with a passion, it's trite and unbelievably irritating!

Couldn't believe it's been made longer: I thought I was safe to switch the radio on last Saturday as it was after ten.....had to get out of the shower to switch it off lest my mind be polluted by shite.

SalmonMaki Mon 14-Mar-16 13:43:14

I loved JP and Home Truths, I found his voice quite soothing.

Can't stand Saturday Live though, all the presenters have grating, pushy voices. It's the one thing on R4 I have to turn off immediately, if it comes on by accident.

polyhymnia Mon 14-Mar-16 14:05:16

I always turn it off if I hear the words 'Laurie Taylor'. Luckily he seems to have been consigned to the slot at a quarter past midnight on Sunday's, so fairly easy to avoid.

JeanPadget Mon 14-Mar-16 15:53:10

I hate it, too, though not as much as the programme that Fi Glover used to present on Saturday morning smug sanctimonious London-centric woman

I also hate anything with Susan Calman in, which seems to be most things at the moment. There was a retrospective on Lynda (sp?) Smith recently, and I got quite wistful.

polyhymnia Mon 14-Mar-16 19:33:31

Talking of Fi Glover, another trigger for turning off R4 is her listening project!

partystress Fri 25-Mar-16 22:42:43

Danny Baker on R5 is the place to go on Saturday morning. Listening Project is annoyingly inconsistent. Sometimes brilliant - two Irish septuagenarian ladies last week had me in stitches.

shinynewusername Mon 28-Mar-16 22:11:36

Another vote for Danny Baker - so much better than the bourgeois banality of SL.

Wordsaremything Sat 02-Apr-16 17:16:10

Just caught a few mins this morning. Ugh. I don't want high octane chatting and cackling. I want gentle and interesting to accompany my lie in!

World service instead, though I listen to that during the night as well...r3 next choice.

polyhymnia Sun 03-Apr-16 11:58:48

Have to say they were cackling like hyenas yesterday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now