Talk

Advanced search

Knob throttlers form an orderly queue at Blossom Hill Cottage! Discuss the Archers on the Official Thread

(971 Posts)
PseudoBadger Thu 08-Oct-15 09:37:20

Do you know that I was 3 months pregnant when the first thread started - DD was 2 yesterday cake

That must also mean that Poppy Grundy's 2nd birthday has passed by unremarked upon...

PseudoBadger Sat 10-Oct-15 12:09:12

"But Pseudo look how they dragged Joe in for the hasty re-write to include Poppy's just turning two"

I know! Topical insert after a quick scan of my OP I reckon grin

ppeatfruit Sat 10-Oct-15 12:19:54

There is a lot of crime in the countryside, doesn't anyone watch Countryfle? grin BOOP point for the way Wiil and Ed were LOOKING OUT FOR EACH OTHER good grin

Gruach Sat 10-Oct-15 12:40:40

Yes - definitely a hundred BOOPS for proper Grundy scenes not requiring comedy trousers.

(How does Ed still manage to sound so staggeringly vulnerable and huggable? Emma is a lucky woman ...)

Travelledtheworld Sat 10-Oct-15 12:43:12

Wasn't Ed originally the no good low life and Will was the good old country boy ?

PseudoBadger Sat 10-Oct-15 12:47:31

Hands off my Ed angry

enochroot Sat 10-Oct-15 13:21:35

In a way typical of Helen she told Pat very emphatically that she couldn't possibly be pregnant and it's a tummy bug.

Apart from the fact that Pat did not challenge this by telling her to get the hell off the premises if she's got a tummy bug, from this we infer either:-

1. That she is pregnant and in denial.

2. She's been brought up on a farm yet knows very little about reproduction.

3. She's seen the family business almost ruined by an ecoli outbreak yet continues to handle food despite the danger.

4.There was a lot unsaid about the 'rape' and she's sure whatever he did would not result in a pregnancy. This being a possible way for the SWs to indicate that Rob did something unmentionable on radio that night.

ppeatfruit Sat 10-Oct-15 13:22:11

Indeed Gruach not to mention them ripping the piss out of Titchknob,. Though I do feel a bit sorry for the Fairbrethren, they should 've done a bit more market research!

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sat 10-Oct-15 13:46:20

Enochroot, I thought Helen said that because she wasn't ready to admit to anyone else at all that she could be pregnant, but I'm sure she had a strong inkling at that point that she was. Maybe she was wondering about a termination, maybe she had already decided in her own mind that that was not an option but wasn't happy about being pregnant nevertheless. I don't think she was ever in denial about it, though.

Agree last night's Grundy scenes were VG. Surely, though, this is a prelude to Wicked Witch of the West Hazel serving eviction notices on them? It can't be far off now. sad

R4 Sat 10-Oct-15 14:28:07

Wow! We finally had somebody gossiping about Rob. Are things about to start to unravel?

Northernlurker Sat 10-Oct-15 15:03:15

Right up until the rape Helen was living the dream. We know a lot more about Rob than she does. Until that night she did think he was perfect and that she had the life she so desperately wanted. For a person living the dream, pregnancy through rape is simply inconceivable (no pun intended) so she refused to accept it until Pat broke through to her. She sounds so out of it because she is in a terrible place. She wants to want the baby, she wants to share Rob's excitement but she knows, although she might not be able to articulate this, that it's been forced on her.

Anyway, LOVED the Grundy poacher stuff. If anybody is going to get knowcked on the head though I reckon it will be a poacher so that we can relive the very exciting story from the fifties when Uncle Tom accidentally shot a poacher in a struggle. The poacher was of course Bob Larkin, Clarrie's no good uncle I think. Tom was prosecuted, acquitted and returned to Ambridge in triumph.

BYOSnowman Sat 10-Oct-15 17:41:44

If that's the case it will be ed who does the killing as they will say he shouldn't have been there in the first place

R4 Sat 10-Oct-15 17:48:02

I thought we had decided it was about time that Ed got a break. Although someone was saying the other day how well the Fallon/Emma thing was going, so it must be time to knock Ed'n'Em back down again.sad

BYOSnowman Sat 10-Oct-15 18:09:35

They are the whipping boys for the sw that's for sure

GruntledOne Sat 10-Oct-15 20:19:08

Re the issue of whether they gave storylines where the characters know something we don't: does the Jess pregnancy fall into that category? We all knew that it was distinctly possible that Rob was the father, and indeed despite his denials I think we were supposed to believe it. However, we were given no inkling that someone else was in the frame. If they are supposed to follow some sort of rule that they don't keep secrets I would say they broke it there.

EBearhug Sun 11-Oct-15 00:42:22

There is a lot of crime in the countryside, doesn't anyone watch Countryfle?

Dorset Police even have their own tractor. Do you think Harrison will be driving one of these soon?

enochroot Sun 11-Oct-15 08:33:24

Gaspode. That's sort of my badly expressed point. There is SO much hidden or inferred in the Hel/Rob SL. That's mainly because of the nature of abuse so inevitably nothing is clear to outsiders.

In the Jess pregnancy story we are shown Rob being Mr Hyde to Jess and Jeckyl with Helen but it was about suspense too.

MalloryTowels Sun 11-Oct-15 09:43:47

Ooh. I'm all geared up for the omnibus now. Missed loads this week. Dum de dum...

ppeatfruit Sun 11-Oct-15 09:45:33

Agree with Northern lurker about Hellin.

LillianGish Sun 11-Oct-15 09:58:03

I agree with Northernlurker too. Helen has been able to push an previous doubts about Knob to one side (his parents failing to turn up, his mum on the phone, the culvert, his leaving his job etc) he explains it away, she accepts the explanation and is happy to do so to carry on living the dream. This time there has been no discussion - he hasn't excused himself, she hasn't dared to bring it up and now the pregnancy means she can't just put it out of her mind and pretend it never happened. It is a reminder every day of what he did. It also sucks her further into his clutches. And now she doesn't know how to stop him going to court to get his hands on Henry.

LyndaNotLinda Sun 11-Oct-15 14:29:29

Hmm listening to the film, I can see why people think that Hellin isn't actually pregnant. But I suspect that her muted responses are more about what Northern said (and also that's a good point Enoch re the SW telling us that there was no doubt it was rape).

Urgh - I can't wait for the funeral to be over and HP to go back to being a dim and distant memory. When was the last time Pip actually saw her?

toldmywrath Sun 11-Oct-15 15:37:12

Thanks for the new thread Pseudo.

I really enjoyed the film, with characters of old being on- Jazzer, Ed & Will and Eddie & Joe . I, too, loved all flash & no photo.

Pat has deffo had a character transplant sad

enochroot Sun 11-Oct-15 16:28:29

I'm still not convinced, Lynda. I wasn't really listening to the film this morning but I was struck by the number of times variations of 'I don't believe it' were uttered about Helen's pregnancy.

Travelledtheworld Sun 11-Oct-15 17:43:54

Film ? Wot film ?
confused

LyndaNotLinda Sun 11-Oct-15 17:47:47

Travelled - it's just a silly way of talking about the omnibus that we do on the thread - I think it started from what someone's family called it growing up smile

Aargh - now you've made me doubt again enoch. See, I was entirely with you when I listened, then read the thread and thought I was reading too much into it, now you've got me doubting again. I'm vacillating hugely.

I can't believe SOC has got me doubting myself like this angry

enochroot Sun 11-Oct-15 18:53:06

SOC is quite deliberately toying with us and delighting in tearing up the rule book of TA story lines.
Someone on his team reads these threads, I'm sure, but I also think it's entirely in character for Helen to be lying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: