Talk

Advanced search

Women's Hour Power List

(6 Posts)
Gruach Wed 01-Jul-15 10:07:01

Is anybody listening?

They seem to be leading up to including some unpopular people ...

apintofbest Wed 01-Jul-15 11:56:18

There were a few where I thought wtf - I mean Sia, really. I get why they included Caitlyn Jenner, but wouldn't put her on a list of most influential - there was a discussion as to why Caitlyn wasincluded and not Kim Kardashian. I'm afraid to say I would think Kim a lot more influential among young women.

I'm not into fashion so wondered about Anna Wintour, although they did mention she moves amongst the movers and shakers.

The number of media types (and I include Camilla Cavendish in that cohort) is very telling.

Not particularly surprised that Nicola Sturgeon was No. 1. I admire her enormously as a role mode,l especially for young women, and a decent human being but absolutely abhor her politics (am Scottish, live in Scotland, dislike nationalism of any kind).

Gruach Wed 01-Jul-15 12:15:08

Here's the full list.

Still trying to work out why I feel disappointed ...

It's true about the media strength. I suppose I would have liked to see more women chosen for a body of thought rather than a professional position ...

SophieJenkins Thu 02-Jul-15 07:09:43

It made me so angry that I had to turn it off.

YesThisIsMe Thu 02-Jul-15 07:28:14

I adore Anna Wintour, but honestly. Christine Lagarde anyone? Angela Merkel? I bet there's a lot more women worrying about their holiday in Greece right now than thinking about the September Edition.

R4 Thu 02-Jul-15 08:55:46

I didn't listen to the programme so I don't know the nuances of their decision making. I'm not particularly excited by 'lists'.
In their defence, this is the third time that they have produced the list so they are getting to the 'how do we put a twist on this' stage. The first list, 2013, was Power. 2014 was Game Changers. So here we are in 2015 with Influencers.

They are an odd bunch. Why no sports people? Why no educators? I would like more do-ers instead of critiquers (eg Vivienne Westwood instead of Anna Wintour).
It seems to be a panel of "politics and fashion to journalism and entertainment" people choosing from their own. Meh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now