Advanced search

Tom bloody Wrigglesworth

(17 Posts)
Bluestocking Thu 11-Dec-14 23:26:40

AIBU to think he is insufferably twee and should stop ripping off Alan Bennett?

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Thu 11-Dec-14 23:29:41

I'm on the fence. I quite enjoy it - if I'm listening to the radio anyway and his programme comes on, I don't bother to switch it off. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to switch it on, though.

Travelledtheworld Fri 12-Dec-14 21:57:21

I'm from Yorkshire and I think it's funny
No comparison with Alan Bennett.

MmeMorrible Fri 12-Dec-14 22:00:36

I quite like it. I don't think it's ripping off Alan Bennett - none of the sorrow and pathos that goes into his stuff is evident here. It's just mildly amusing and mostly inoffensive.

Bluestocking Fri 12-Dec-14 22:05:39

OK then, it's official, three out of four MNers quite like Tom Wrigglesworth.

R4 Fri 12-Dec-14 22:29:32

Put it this way bluestocking: if you have to have a wry, mild-mannered, old-fashioned northerner throwing his mirth at you, which Worth would you rather have?
Wrigglesworth or Shuttleworth?

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 12-Dec-14 22:33:26

I think he is sufferably twee. I like listening to him in bed, while snug and cosy and sleepy. I like the Miles Jupp show satirising Nigel Slater as well, for the same reasons. It's a nice cup of tea for the ear.

Wrigglesworth is nothing like Alan Bennett though. I don't understand that reference.

I love Shuttleworth...

Catmint Fri 12-Dec-14 22:34:57

I like Shuttleworth better, but Wrigglesworth is fine.

R4 Fri 12-Dec-14 22:59:16

Oh no!shock What have I done!?confused You were all supposed to groan at the mention of Shuttleworth.

Bluestocking Fri 12-Dec-14 23:01:54

No contest, I LOVE Shuttleworth! I recently found some Shuttleworthiana I hadn't heard before - John Shuttleworth's Lounge Music - he invites (slightly faded and obscure) stars into his home, father to Mary's annoyance, and performs his cover version of one of their hits. The Toyah one was a particular joy.

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Fri 12-Dec-14 23:07:57

John Shuttleworth is great! I also love that Miles Jupp thing.

Bluestocking Fri 12-Dec-14 23:09:45

I love that Miles Jupp thing too but is it really based on Nigel Slater?

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Fri 12-Dec-14 23:20:19

It's my assumption it was a nod to Nigel. That writing style is so distinctive. The little asides and pedantry and emphasis.

NetworkGuy Sat 20-Dec-14 02:18:05

Wrigglesworth or Shuttleworth?

Wrigglesworth for me, any day!!!

I also thought back to Harry Worth (OK, not linked with "mild-mannered, old-fashioned northerner throwing his mirth at you" but another Worth, and a somewhat low one, in my view, that only a minority might remember)

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Sat 20-Dec-14 07:53:00

Harry Worth! That takes me back, NetworkGuy. I really only remember the opening sequence, which made me laugh when I was Junior School age. I can't for the life of me remember how the show proceeded. It's probably an indicator of what it was like that as far as I'm aware it's never been repeated.

IndridCold Sat 10-Jan-15 17:36:36

I heard them talking on 4 Extra just before Christmas, and Shuttleworth asked if Wrigglesworth was his real name, because he hated it when people made up sill names for comic effect grin.

Like both, and Damien Trench as well. I love the way he bickers with Anthony.

IssyStark Sun 18-Jan-15 00:53:46

Love Wrigglesworth but have been known in my time to actovely reach for the button as soon as Shiuttleworth can on. Have belatedly got more used it the latter (or possibly just more lazy) do do end up listen and occasionally breaking the odd smile. Wrigglesworth, into, gets me laughing. As does Bennett but apart from them coming both from Yorkshire and making obversations on middle class life of folks of a certain age, I don't think they are similar (unless you were comparing a young AB, of the TW3, in which case there is a bit more similarity of the Angry Young Man variety).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now