Talk

Advanced search

How old are Archers listeners...

(78 Posts)
DadDadDad Wed 12-Nov-14 21:51:11

...who post on Radio Addicts threads on MN and are willing to admit their age?

That was a question that was answered by a sample of 51 on the Archers thread which started 3rd November. But I thought I'd restate the results here for posterity (and easy future reference).

Age...Frequency (1 face = 1 listener)
25-29 hmmhmm
30-34 hmmhmmhmmhmmhmm
35-39 hmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmm
40-44 hmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmm
45-49 hmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmm
50-54 hmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmmhmm
55-59 hmmhmmhmm
60-64 hmmhmmhmmhmmhmm
65-69 hmm

The average (mean) age is 46.1 and the ages range from 28 to 66.

I've changed the smileys to more sceptical faces as that seems to capture the current mood. grin

With the exception of footle who was the oldest person to reveal their age (which explains why the sample size has increased to 51), I did not collect any ages mentioned on the main Archers thread after 5 November 9:50am (see link below).

The main reason for a separate thread was just to preserve the results of this nearly pointless exercise. However, if you want your age to be added - or to reveal you are younger than 28 or older than 66 - then I might get round to adding you to the graph, if you post below starting your post in the following format (makes it easy to find):

Age=XX
(no spaces)

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/radio_addicts/2225850-Dont-blame-it-on-a-Grundy-dont-blame-it-on-Route-B-dont-blame-it-on-Sean-OC-blame-it-on-the-badgers-Discuss-The-Archers-of-Prudhoe-here?pg=12

ToeTapN Wed 12-Nov-14 21:53:05

Christ, I'm soooooo average. How disappointing.

DadDadDad Wed 12-Nov-14 21:54:30

Age=90

Not me! A worked example showing what Peggy would post if she makes it to tomorrow.

By the way, this isn't the thread for discussing The Archers - for that, follow the link above (or its successor threads).

songbird Thu 13-Nov-14 13:19:05

Age=38

I have been tempted to go through the other thread noting the ages that were added after you posted your smiley graph (smaph?) and re-doing it but a) I didn't want to step on your toes and b) I couldn't be arsed. However, work is exceptionally dull at the moment (and I'm not even an actuary, I'm an archaeologist, to which EVERYONE says 'oh wow how interesting' - hah! how little they know), so I might still do it if you're not bothered.

songbird Thu 13-Nov-14 13:19:54

ToeTapN does that mean you're the very average 46?

LostInWales Thu 13-Nov-14 13:25:03

Age=40

I would love to be an actuary, it would be taking all the things I find most fun in life (hard sums and computer work) and getting paid for it. You are so lucky DadDadDad.

Right, back to the Archers thread, I am very hard of hearing even with my super dooper hearing aids so I mostly read the threads on here rather than trying really hard to hear it on the radio blush. Is Peggy still alive? Will she make it to her party? I will go and find out!

DadDadDad Thu 13-Nov-14 14:32:39

songbird - I actually made an open invitation on the last thread for someone else to take over data collection, so fill yer boots. The only issue you might now have is to watch out for anybody on the other thread reposting their age here. We wouldn't want to double-count. If you dig up the ages ("dig up" - see what I did there?smile), you could put them all in a single post here with some indication what period on the other thread you analysed.

Lost - it's a job that has its stresses and tedium like any other, but if you are that way inclined, it is fairly rewarding intellectually and financially.

songbird Thu 13-Nov-14 15:43:22

Right I might see what I can do!

DadDadDad Thu 13-Nov-14 16:16:29

Just remember there is very little point to the exercise other than a little personal amusement, so don't waste your life on it unlike me.

songbird Thu 13-Nov-14 18:25:07

I often seem to waste my life on personal amusements!

songbird Thu 13-Nov-14 18:25:44

Not as dirty as it sounds hmm

Dye2014 Thu 13-Nov-14 21:29:26

I'm 36 and I love it!

DadDadDad Thu 13-Nov-14 21:45:25

Well I enjoyed being 36 too!

Dye2014 Thu 13-Nov-14 23:00:04

Haha!

DadDadDad Thu 13-Nov-14 23:24:54

Of course, 37 is awful, you won't enjoy that.grin

But you'll soon be the right side of 40, like (it would appear) 69% of Archer listeners.

DadDadDad Thu 13-Nov-14 23:28:54

songbird - if there's a way and a will, I could send you my Excel spreadsheet where I assembled my chart, with a canny use of the formula
=REPT("smile",...)

DadDadDad Thu 13-Nov-14 23:30:41

D'oh! In Excel, it just reads "[ smile ]" without the spaces; of course when I pasted it into MN that actually became a smile

BOFster Thu 13-Nov-14 23:35:38

I think, for statistical purposes, you need a preliminary study of the age of R4 listeners first. Only then will you be able to establish whether Archers listeners are especially fogeyish in context.

You may need an extra question to factor in the possibility that they may just be too lazy, or technically-challenged (a separate study?) to turn over.

DadDadDad Thu 13-Nov-14 23:39:08

BOFster - yes, songbird and I are just waiting for our research grant to come through and we'll obviously assemble a full team of demographers to get cracking on these pressing social questions... grin

BOFster Thu 13-Nov-14 23:43:42

grin

spamm Thu 13-Nov-14 23:56:05

Me - 44

DH - 48

DS - 9 ( but to be fair, he is forced to listen, it is not by choice)

DadDadDad Fri 14-Nov-14 00:01:16

Is it no longer the done thing to actually read the OP before commenting on a thread? hmmsad

Batmam Fri 14-Nov-14 00:13:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DadDadDad Fri 14-Nov-14 00:14:48

Apparently not.

Dye2014 Fri 14-Nov-14 00:15:44

Dh (45) hates it. But he's an idiot not by any stretch on this thread.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: