Talk

Advanced search

Long-suffering Archers listeners

(12 Posts)
squeaver Wed 14-Sep-11 13:35:10

You will love this blog post

Apols if someone else has already linked to it.

BleughCowWonders Wed 14-Sep-11 13:52:21

Made me laugh!

I just love the shortened assessment - twats all smile

R4 Wed 14-Sep-11 19:04:43

"a village called Ambridge in a fictitious county called Borsetshire, meant loosely to be somewhere Dorsetty, Wiltshiry, Oxfordshirish, Northantsy"

What!? How can she have been a listener for forty-one years and not know that Ambridge is based on Hanbury, in Worcestershire. Has she not noticed that, apart from Borchester/Worcester, the only other city that is referenced is Birmingham. She is way off base.

NetworkGuy Fri 16-Sep-11 15:49:53

Never knew it was meant to be based on some place in Worcestershire - there are plenty of ways to get to Birmingham and it's far from impossible from Dorsetty, Wiltshiry places, and let's face it, for most international flights, I'd guess Birmingham beats Bristol + Exeter + Southampton (Eastleigh) "hands down" as far as long-haul goes, so someone in northern Dorset would probably go to B'ham unless there was an easier route/ cheaper flight from LHR.

I suppose the 'Cathedral School' might make some think of Worcester, but there are others, and some might think of Winchester (albeit not as a daily commute from Dorset !!)

NetworkGuy Fri 16-Sep-11 15:50:24

Will go off and read the blog to see what it was about now smile

NetworkGuy Fri 16-Sep-11 15:51:23

PS Expect the blog author to come posting here if she checks her website stats!

GrendelsMum Sat 17-Sep-11 08:14:37

Oh, that's very funny! thanks for the link. Love the blog post with the anorak and the trolls too.

ArmageddonOuttahere Sat 17-Sep-11 08:22:30

That has been enlightening - I've been listening to it for years and had no idea who anyone is or what is going on confused

bintofbohemia Sat 17-Sep-11 08:28:34

Love it. Have often wondered why I bother when ( as she rightly points out) all of the characters are twats. Although I strangely have a crush on Matt. blush

Songbird Sat 17-Sep-11 17:30:47

Brilliant!!

R4 Sun 18-Sep-11 10:53:56

For networkguy: Lots of photos of Ambridge but don't click on the links if you don't like RL to impinge too much on the Borsetshire of your imagination!

Lower Loxley
Nigel and Loathsome's wedding
The Bull
Grey Gables Number 5 on the trail

keynesian Mon 19-Sep-11 17:25:37

Thank you for the link, made me laugh too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now