Talk

Advanced search

Excellent Radio - Thursday - The House I grew up In

(5 Posts)
NetworkGuy Thu 18-Aug-11 10:07:53

Radio at its best! > Today's < was about the Derby home of Jasvinder Sanghera (who campaigns against forced marriage). She ran away (age 15) to avoid forced marriage, and was told she had the option of return or would be considered dead.

What a hard start to adulthood, scared in case she might be identified. One sister torched herself after two marriages to violent men, two sisters have not spoken to her in 30 years.

Although her father did not go to her graduation ceremony, he kept the photo she sent, and he named her as executor in his will, so clearly respected her abilities, despite all that had taken place.

I've only touched on a fraction of the programme content, but would encourage anyone to take a listen (it should be online within an hour or two, and gets repeated tonight at 21:30 on Radio 4.

keynesian Thu 18-Aug-11 19:43:21

I enjoyed this immensely - as I have the others in the series. Hope it gets on to 'Pick of the Week'.

NetworkGuy Thu 18-Aug-11 21:57:51

You can nominate at potw@bbc.co.uk I believe !

GrendelsMum Mon 22-Aug-11 21:58:54

Yes, that was great, wasn't it? Esp when she goes back to his house after he died as Executor and she sees her graduation photo on his bedroom wall.

Himalayanbalsam Mon 22-Aug-11 22:02:27

Will use listen again. The Shirley Williams episode was wonderful too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now