Talk

Advanced search

too much comedy on the radio?

(10 Posts)
kiery Sun 07-Aug-11 16:22:31

Am i tuning in at the wrong time? All i seem to get is comedy on Radio 4 and radio4 extra.

I like a good bit of comedy; Elvenquest, old harry's game, the now show, I even like, I'm sorry I haven't a clue and Just a minute.

I just think there is too much. There is comedy on radio 4 and 4 extra scheduled same time too! Two hours at a time is way much too.

I have just read that controller Gwyneth Williams is putting more comedy on. Is it cheaper to make?

Can anyone remember what the prgramme on radio 4 is that you can comment on programmes and their content is so I can complain.

booge Sun 07-Aug-11 16:26:44

Feedback. It may be the times you listen as I miss a lot of the comedy and sometimes feel overloaded with current affairs.

brehon Tue 09-Aug-11 23:34:14

I agree with you Kiery. Nothing against comedy but when Radio 4 extra was BBC7 there were more crime and thrillers, cbeebies on the radio. There was alot more diversity on the station.

GrendelsMum Wed 10-Aug-11 18:38:48

I think there's still a huge amount of crime and thrillers on BBC7, actually - I've just been thinking that to myself the last couple of weeks when I go through iPlayer.

I think it may be very time-dependent.

Have to say I really like Elvenquest and Old Harry's Game too.

Can't stand the one about pilots, which is a little awkward as an old friend of DSis writes and acts in it...

IndridCold Thu 11-Aug-11 15:56:51

Do you mean Cabin Pressure? You see I love, love, love it; so much so that I've just bought it from iTunes! I guess that shows how hard it is to appeal to all tastes though.

GrendelsMum Thu 11-Aug-11 16:13:44

No, do you? I'm so glad, as I always felt awful for the writer (who I still think of as an awkward gangly 16 year old doing maths homework with my sister). I imagined everyone in the UK groaning and switching it off when it came on smile

NetworkGuy Sat 13-Aug-11 04:10:15

Another fan of Cabin Pressure, here. Must admit to having missed several of recent series on R4 and had impression suave 'no 2' was voiced by different actor.

R4 has been using 11:30 slot on Mon, Wed, Fri for comedy of late. Have not been listening to R4 Extra as much, so have been missing Old Harry's Game, but glad it will come around again.

Whenever I put R4 Extra on, I've normally found myself in a drama, not comedy. Falco was on recently, and despite having heard that story before (going into non-Romanic areas of Germany) I thoroughly enjoyed listening again to those episodes.

GrendelsMum Sat 13-Aug-11 08:51:57

I've really enjoyed Falco too, but I listen to everything via Listen Again, not in terms of what's actually on at the time.

For some reason, I always forget I can get Radio 7 via my radio as well.

Acekicker Wed 17-Aug-11 10:08:13

...and yet they insist on passing off Chain Reaction as 'Friday Night Comedy' - whilst it can be a great show, it's absolutely not what I want to hear driving home from work to start my weekend.

At least they can justify keeping the god-awful 'Quote Unquote' on in the comedy slot as it provides fodder for the other comedy shows grin

NetworkGuy Thu 18-Aug-11 10:07:33

Personally, I love Quote Unquote, and The Write Stuff, although I know both get pulled apart by comics and some listeners. I always find some interesting snippets from those programmes, and they complement my somewhat limited literature knowledge (I quit school at 16, so never read anything 'serious' as I went into courses on radio and then degree level computing).

I found last week's 'Chain Reaction' a bit lacklustre. Could have been two mates in the pub mulling over the darts or football results, in terms of interest to me (ie nil).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now