Talk

Advanced search

Afternoon Play on R4

(8 Posts)
UnquietDad Mon 27-Dec-10 15:40:40

What a pile of meandering unfunny toss that supposed "comedy drama" was today. Something about a restaurant, a millstone falling over and someone lugging a grampphone into the middle of nowhere. (A gramophone FFS? What decade is this?)

I lost the will to live halfway through, and hated all the characters and wanted them to die.

I haven't heard the Afternoon Play for ages. Is it always like this?

GrimmaTheNome Mon 27-Dec-10 15:43:06

I didn't hear this one - I do sometimes half or wholly listen to the plays after the Archers. They are hugely variable.

DwpAnxt Mon 27-Dec-10 15:43:54

Seems to be. I dont actually listen at all now as each time I have tried in the past the result has been something like this. There used to be some cracking plays(and stories) on Radio 4.What a waste of money it is now.

arentfanny Mon 27-Dec-10 15:44:24

No. Can be variable, I tend to listen when I am at work doing my mother's books.

LondonMother Mon 27-Dec-10 16:09:02

Last Tuesday there was rather a good play that might have been pulled if it had been scheduled for later in the week. It was by Mark Lawson - don't know if it was the Mark Lawson - and was about the various reactions of people involved in the missing person inquiry when a woman disappeared.

I thought that was well done, but on the odd occasion I hear them at other times I often switch off. The exception is that lovely Edinburgh Victorian detective series with Brian Cox and Siobhan Redmond - McCreevy, I think. I could listen to that all day.

jodevizes Tue 28-Dec-10 19:07:04

This Fen thing is actually listed as a comedy drama. Wrong on both counts. You are lucky, there have been 3 which have ruined my Monday. Still prefer it to the dreadful A.Strong a pale copy of so many others.

Fibilou Fri 31-Dec-10 13:07:14

i long for a decent AP. I haven't listened to one for ages, they're always rubbish. Or, my particular favourite "Translated from the Original Serbo-Croat/Russian/Moldovian/whatever"

Chil1234 Sun 02-Jan-11 19:56:20

I must have struck lucky with the Afternoon Plays recently! Teriffic one about the Mary Queen of Scots Babington Plot - don't know if anyone caught that. They can be rather hit and miss but I think that's part of the charm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: