Talk

Advanced search

Clare Balding - BBC has not renewed her contract this year

(24 Posts)
extremelychocolateymilkroll Mon 20-Dec-10 10:29:15

How depressing. She'll still do sport but it doesn't sound like she'll be doing much else according to this article. And yet we have Tony Livesey and Dotun Adeboye presumably on contracts among other dire presenters. How do you organise a Facebook or Twitter campaign to get one of the best presenters on the BBC to get some more work???

LeninInExcelsis Mon 20-Dec-10 10:34:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Mon 20-Dec-10 10:44:58

It doesn't sound like that from the article. She talks of anxiety from not having work lined up to the extent that she attributes her worry to making her ill with cancer. I guess to go freelance if your contract has not been renewed and she would want to keep the BBC sweet to get whatever other work she will get from them. She is one of their best presenters - versatile, intelligent, funny - and obviously not appreciated which is a great shame.

LeninInExcelsis Mon 20-Dec-10 10:48:09

extremelychocolateymilkroll Mon 20-Dec-10 10:54:28

Lenin - the link seems to take me to the Observer article and not Twitter?

LeninInExcelsis Mon 20-Dec-10 10:59:24

extremelychocolateymilkroll Mon 20-Dec-10 11:23:24

Thanks Lenin. I think it's more likely that she is drawing back so as not to jeopardise the work she does get from them. Just sad that she seems to have to scrabble for work when we have to listen to and watch so many mediocre people.

LeninInExcelsis Mon 20-Dec-10 11:26:50

arentfanny Mon 20-Dec-10 11:28:38

I enjoy her programmes with different walking groups.

SpringHeeledJack Tue 21-Dec-10 08:50:21

I looooooove her

I want her on Woman's Hour. Every damn day, please

jonicomelately Tue 21-Dec-10 08:54:10

I'm a huge fan of CB. I particularly love how she presents the Rugby League coverage on the BBC.

AitchTwoOh Tue 21-Dec-10 08:56:49

weird. she's so excellent i'd have thought she was rock solid with the beeb. dotun adebayo, however, is a twat.

NetworkGuy Tue 21-Dec-10 12:42:02

Certainly I'm no fan of Dotun and I may be wrong but as well as doing "Up All Night" 4 nights a week on a regular basis (nights I avoid), isn't he on the BBC local service for London ?

I enjoy CB rambling around on radio, but her gaff over the jockey's teeth may have done a bit more damage than we (as outsiders) thought.

NigellaTufnel Tue 21-Dec-10 15:46:16

Ramblings in itself is worth the Licence Fee. Well, along with Choral Evensong and the Archers, and anything with Armando Ianucci

ragged Tue 21-Dec-10 16:32:46

CB presents on World Service news, I think? I expect she fills in for a lot of people, probably how she likes it.

extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 21-Dec-10 21:14:03

I like everything she does - even topics I have little interest in. She brings such intelligence and enthusiasm to everything she is involved with. Find it hard to believe that her gaffe over the jockey's teeth would have had such an impact and in the article she seems to have been really worried when her BBC contract was not renewed.

angelene Tue 21-Dec-10 21:16:30

I loooooove her too, and I think that perhaps with 2012 getting nearer she may be focussing more on sport. Here's hoping anyway.

Now, can we get a campaign going to get rid of the godawful Stephen Nolan?

SnowyGonzalez Tue 21-Dec-10 21:19:25

And a campaign to ditch Mark Lawson from everywhere? PLEEEEEASE!!

NetworkGuy Wed 22-Dec-10 18:49:12

Rarely get annoyed with Mark Lawson, except when he flits off to New York on BBC expenses to view some shows on Broadway and talk to actors...

upsydaisysexstylist Sat 01-Jan-11 06:57:24

Can't we get her to do all of 5 live, she stood in on weekend breakfast for the dreadful Rachel Burden ( aptly named) and it was such a relief to hear someone asking intelligent questions to the football managers, rather than just parroting back page opinion and sounding interested in the answers

extremelychocolateymilkroll Sun 02-Jan-11 11:32:24

Clare is on R5 now til 12pm with Jo Holmes and Steve Punt. Almost like listening to R4.

NetworkGuy Mon 03-Jan-11 01:17:34

She's also been on the live Channel 4 show all this week at 20:00 with Chris Evans - "Famous and Fearless" (teams of men vs women).

NetworkGuy Mon 03-Jan-11 01:20:25

sorry re poor English - she was on Sunday's show and will be on other evenings this week!

Chil1234 Mon 03-Jan-11 09:49:10

Maybe Clare Balding's been booked to tweak the Lower Loxley aerial....?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now