Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to loathe 'Lizzie' & Nigel?

(31 Posts)
evenkeel Mon 22-Nov-10 18:42:00

Sorry to insert an AIBU here, but it seemed the right place! I've just had a nice rant about Helen, and it got me to thinking about the other Archers characters I can't stand.

Most of them, actually hmm, but especially Lizzie'n'Nigel. Listening to them smugly congratulating themselves on Lower Poxley's Winter Wonderland made me feel quite nauseous.

Why are they so vile?

NorthernLurker Mon 22-Nov-10 18:47:38

Nigel's quite sweet but Lizzie is the giddy limit. In the decades I've been listening she has freaked out over 'her' bedroom - which she no longer lived in being given to David and Ruth as their first marital home because they had nowhere else and freaked out about her inheritance - at least twice -and freaked out about many other things as well! She just isn't very nice.

boogeek Mon 22-Nov-10 21:46:51

I agree with NorthernLurker; Nige good Lizzie bad

iwastooearlytobeayummymummy Mon 22-Nov-10 21:50:31

I have never really 'got' this relationship, either, as Lizzie is often vile and poisonous
and Nigel sweet and wet.

I'm sure she married him for his money and she stays because he fails to see her flaws, and he doesn't think anyone else would fancy his enormous pile.

Waswondering Mon 22-Nov-10 21:51:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boogeek Mon 22-Nov-10 21:52:14

Surely it will be Will n Ed n Emmur n Nic. Again. No?

R4 Mon 22-Nov-10 22:19:36

I was wondering the same as waswondering.grin Summat to do with Deck The Halls or the family New Year do. Nigel was checking insurance cover yesterday ... sounds ominous.

Snorbs Mon 22-Nov-10 22:46:55

Nigel is an enormous echoing hole that should be filled with personality but isn't.

As much as I dislike Lizzie, at least she has a personality. Even if it is odious.

StaceySolomonismyHeroine Mon 22-Nov-10 22:49:13

I hate EVERYONE in the Archers.

Except Lilian and Brian.

And Kate. Because she's a troublemaker.

grin

piprabbit Mon 22-Nov-10 22:49:42

Nigel is lovely - Lizzie is horrendous (can't think how the fragrant Jill produced such a foul daughter).

I was assuming that the major storyline would be about Helen's baby.

StaceySolomonismyHeroine Mon 22-Nov-10 22:49:45

Elizabeth was so much more interesting when she was Ambridge's superbitch.

SpeedyGonzalez Mon 22-Nov-10 22:52:15

Snorbs, you are witty and insightful!

I only ever listen to the Archers at Xmas these days as there's always a hilarious scandal. So far nothing has topped Siobhan and Brian's improbably affair.

I do think Lizzie is hideous, not as funny as Linda Snell, but yes, interesting to listen to.

Sinkingfeeling Mon 22-Nov-10 23:27:55

I think there might be a terrible fire at Lower Loxley during Deck the Halls ...

rodformyownback Wed 24-Nov-10 21:55:52

They are both vile. All the public school stuff is making me retch. Forcing their 10 year olds to do maths all Christmas so they don't have to slum it with the hoi polloi. Yeuchh.

rodformyownback Wed 24-Nov-10 22:00:18

Stacey I am with you about Lillian and Kate. Not sure about Brian though hmm the philandering misogynist!

evenkeel Wed 24-Nov-10 22:49:09

Having started this thread, I've been lurking.......enjoying the comments! Yes, I too always thought Nigel was marginally less appalling than 'Lizzie' (or 'Lizard' as they call her on the BBC Archers messageboard, much more appropriate!), but this stuff about the holiday coaching has changed my mind. He's such an utter, pompous twunt <reminds self: not real people>

MinkyBorage Thu 25-Nov-10 20:18:40

Oh god, they are so very pleased with themselves! Barf

GrendelsMum Fri 26-Nov-10 09:05:42

Yes to all of the above, but I agree that Deck the Halls sounds lovely and I really want to go.

piprabbit Fri 26-Nov-10 10:20:50

Archers superbitch - Lizzie vs. Shula?

I vote for Shula. She coats her bitchiness with a layer of patronising moral superiority.

StayFrosty Fri 26-Nov-10 10:26:19

campocaro Fri 26-Nov-10 10:29:49

or
Lizzy's underlying heart condition leads to tragedy-combined with fire at LL combined with something terrible happening to Helen and bump..is that a big enough storyline? Cant wait!

traceybath Fri 26-Nov-10 10:31:44

Oh I really hope the big story is about Lower Loxley - I just don't want it to be Ednemmur and Will or Helen and the baby - they've been done to death.

And you know Ed - you shagged your Brother's wife - that is going to rankle a bit grin

SpringHeeledJack Fri 26-Nov-10 10:35:42

I loathe the lot- apart from Lilian and Jazzer

I heard the other day that Jazzer's character was supposed to be an "irritant"

...I thought he was supposed to be a sort of Everybloke

shock

[obviously-not-decent-enough-to-listen-to-the-Arch ers emoticon]

SpringHeeledJack Fri 26-Nov-10 10:38:24

...oh and I sneakily admire Ruth with her relentless cheer

specially since the Guardian revealed that, in her time "off", she's a BBC news reporter and has been to Afghanistan about 600 times

...and somehow I always picture her as Gina McKee grin

StayFrosty Fri 26-Nov-10 10:38:44

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: