Talk

Advanced search

Nathan Booth, Frieda Fry & Sabrina Thwaite - will they ever speak?

(21 Posts)
1234ThumbScrew Mon 22-Nov-10 16:52:46

Frieda's been around and silent for years - then Sabrina started being mentioned, now Nathan is a part of a storyline but still doesn't speak. I want to hear them.

iwastooearlytobeayummymummy Mon 22-Nov-10 21:40:58

this has really begun to annoy me, as it just so patronising and 'cheap-skateish'of the scriptwriters not to give them a voice, especially as there has been a lot of plot around Nathan and Sabrina recently.

But TBH most of The archers annoys me, especially the fact that i can't stop listening confused

MaeMobley Mon 22-Nov-10 21:43:58

I totally agree.

Helen irritates me beyong belief.

Love the Jennifer/ Susan relationship.

Worry about Nic.

WildPansy Mon 22-Nov-10 21:47:54

Noooo I love all the silent characters. The fact that they don't speak makes them an especially intriguing bunch. Don't you enjoy your mental image of Sabrina? I love the way it's drip-fed through gossip. I particularly like it when they do things which should make a noise, without really breaking their silence -- like Molly Button's tap dance at the talent show. It's one of my favourite Archers things grin.

boogeek Mon 22-Nov-10 21:50:39

Oh I agree - the tap dance was fabulous! And how many times have they been just about to speak then cut off It's all part of the fun.
(I tell you what though that Rooo-ahhh-ryyy needs to lose his Irish accent and quickly)

Lilymaid Mon 22-Nov-10 21:56:01

What about Derek Fletcher who has been silent for years whilst objecting to everything and serving on the parish council. And then there's Titcombe who, after many years, we found to have a first name (Edgar)when he married Mrs Pugsley.
The Archers Who's Who lists them all. I will always remember Prue Forrest who was silent for years even before she was shipped off to the Laurels.

WildPansy Mon 22-Nov-10 22:14:40

Ohh yes, Derek! And the Titcombe wedding was a piece de resistance. And let's not forget Bob Pullen playing the spoons. And poor Freda forever in the kitchen of The Bull.

R4 Mon 22-Nov-10 22:25:21

Your starter for ten: who played Pru Forrest?

Did you hear ruiruirui's accent discussed on Feedback. Some linguistics expert reckoned that in RL he would have started to lose his accent within a matter of weeks.

WildPansy Mon 22-Nov-10 23:10:08

I Googled for the answer re Pru. Interesting.

I didn't hear Feedback, I will listen immediately. This has long been a bone of contention so I'm glad they're finally facing up to it.

Meanwhile, I must get in practice for the panto. Which I really loathe, and yet, and yet... I kind of love it.

poppyknot Mon 22-Nov-10 23:15:36

I think there have been 'silent' characters forever - Freda has 'been around' for ages.
I think they are a bit of an in joke.

Like Captain Maiwaring's wife in dad's Army (although we saw her presence once as it were on the top bunk in the sleeper)

I should get out more!

Simbacatlives Mon 22-Nov-10 23:20:10

When they had the 2 sheep shearers only one spoke. I don't know why they couldn't have hired the actress to do 2 different voices.

1234ThumbScrew Tue 23-Nov-10 09:07:34

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Derek Fletcher. I agree that it's quite fun how they paint a picture of the character without the character ever speaking, but I do think there are too many of them now. Either they shouldn't be part of a storyline like Nathan has been recently or let them speak.

HidingInTheBackRow Tue 23-Nov-10 09:56:56

Perhaps we could swap some of the really annoying speaking characters for some of the non-speaking ones. I would be happy to sacrifice ever hearing Rory's frankly bizarre voice ever again to let Frieda speak just once.

MinkyBorage Thu 25-Nov-10 20:19:26

I think it's really funny that they don't speak. Easily pleased, me!

WildPansy Thu 25-Nov-10 22:45:30

I am too, MinkyBorage. I loved the mental image of what Sabrina was wearing for the panto rehearsal. I'd be gutted if she spoke.

IloveBafanaBafana Thu 25-Nov-10 22:49:37

Thanks for mentioning Feedback - I used to love that programme - and they do a podcast - woohoo.

I agree with the most irritating thing about the Archers is that I cannot stop listening to it!

daimbardiva Mon 13-Dec-10 16:58:36

I love the silent characters too - lets the imagination run riot! Also easily pleased!

NetworkGuy Fri 17-Dec-10 15:59:40

Re Feedback - wish they would run it 50+ weeks a year. Used to have another presenter before Roger Bolton and had someone stand in when he wasn't available. With Feedback on for 6 off for 6 there's always some aspect one would like to comment on but then they are off air, or you heard it in the last of present series.

That idiot head of Radio who was going on about DAB for example, needs to be taken on one side and have the thumbscrews on until he can explain why they have such dreadful sampling rates on DAB for every station except Radio 3 yet whenever quality gets mentioned they only talk about signal quality not audio quality.

They commission new material )comedy in particular) for BBC 7 then broadcast it in mono because they decided when BBC 7 was first launched it would carry repeats of shows from the 50s to the 90s... and now they are proposing a new high quality audio stream on the internet for Radio 3 (what about 6 Music, Radio 1, Radio 2, 1Xtra which are each individually more popular than R3 but get no investment in better quality audio!)

Sorry, off shopping to calm down after another little rant :- those twits in the BBC are still pushing DAB and not getting government to think about DAB+ which every other country (bar 1, I think) will use, so we, with older 'DAB' kit, will be left in a technological cul-de-sac while manufacturers concentrate on DAB+ kit for the worldwide market and stick 2 fingers up at the UK and Luxembourg (or wherever it is) for not going to DAB+.....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr... a very unMerry Christmas to those thick BBC executives, technical so-called experts, and decision makers...

NetworkGuy Fri 17-Dec-10 16:02:29

Sorry 1234 - my mention of thumb screws was put in as a polite version of kick up the bum or something more medieval that might give the man a squeaky voice and no chance of future children....

spamm Mon 03-Jan-11 15:24:00

I agree re: rory. He is driving us up the wall. In what world does an 8 year old boy speak like that. If he were mine, I would have to ban him from talking, ever!

By the way, we are on podcasts here, as I live in the US, so I am avoiding any current Archer threads, as we have not yet made Christmas, let alone the SATTC. Please - no spoilers! Dh is desperate to click on the Archer's link on BBC News....

ppeatfruit Fri 14-Jan-11 17:04:51

Oh spam We're in France i don't know what we'd do without our on line radio 'live' i won't mention the Archers honest!! It does sometimes cut out at inopportune moments though !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now