Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggy for 5 min journey to nursery - needs to fold very small

(12 Posts)
HolidaysQueen Tue 27-Oct-09 21:45:42

We're about to move house and DH will be walking 19mo DS to nursery, about 5-10 mins away. Will need a buggy as he needs to get a train after so can't let DS walk at his own pace, but it doesn't need to be particularly comfortable and padded given it's such a short journey and will only be used for that - we have a Techno XT for all other purposes.

I'm looking for something that folds down smaller or is much lighter, as I am likely to be doing the evening pick up and the plan is to be on my bike, so buggy will either be in trailer with DS or slung across my back if very small.

I would get a really cheap, small one from Argos, but I guess it needs a raincover etc, as it will be used in winter so I wasn't sure if a cheap one would work .

Is this even possible?

SCARYspicemonster Tue 27-Oct-09 21:48:26

I'd say that your DH should probably just leave a bit earlier so that he can walk your DS the whole way so you don't have to carry it back! My DS was painfully slow when I first started walking him to his CM about 6 months ago but I can almost walk normal pace now.

FlyMeToDunoon Tue 27-Oct-09 21:50:20

Quinny zapp. Folds very compactly.

thisisyesterday Tue 27-Oct-09 21:50:59

agree, surely he has to be dropped off at a particular time before yur dh goes to get the train? that can't be changed- the timeafter dropping himat nursery to getting the train is the bit that matters, and he won;t bet here then!

thisisyesterday Tue 27-Oct-09 21:51:51

in fact, as it's so short he can even carry ds some of the way if he can't walk it/is too slow

HolidaysQueen Tue 27-Oct-09 21:55:00

I'll try selling that to DH (TBH I think it is the best plan as it really is a pretty short walk and it will be good for DS to get used to walking with a purpose rather than for his own entertainment!) but DS is a big dawdler and also very stubborn, and DH isn't at his best in the morning... Also it will be a big adjustment for us as we have a nanny atm so don't have to do drop off so I imagine it will be a bit fraught in the first few weeks!

Hmmm. I will look at Quinny Zapp, but maybe it's easier to rethink the bike thing as I would rather the morning runs smoothly as that is when everyone needs it to be simple.

Any other thoiughts?

cookielove Tue 27-Oct-09 21:58:46

What works to get the children walking at a quicker pace, is reigns, i personally think once he gets in the habit of walking he will walk at a steady pace, you just need to teach him to walk with you. Reigns around your wrist and holding his hand, try to focus whats in front of him. If starts to wander off you have the reigns to keep him near you and keep him walking.

SCARYspicemonster Tue 27-Oct-09 22:00:50

Yeah definitely reins work. My DS honestly used to be dreadful but actually once it's part of your daily routine, they get used to it really pretty quickly. Also it will be a nice bonding time for your DH and DS wink

FlyMeToDunoon Tue 27-Oct-09 22:06:43

Bike seat?

HolidaysQueen Tue 27-Oct-09 22:07:22

I love MN. You come on with one question but it's actually another thing that gets sorted

Yes, I think it would be great to get DS in habit of walking to nursery as I'm really not a big fan of kids being in strollers until they are 4 and would prefer him to get used to walking sooner rather than later (he will walk a long way now, but very much at his own pace and via his own particular route ).

I have 2 weeks off work when we move to do the nursery settling in as i have lots of spare holiday left over. I have a bit more patience in the morning than DH and also don't have to rush to be on a particular train, so I'll maybe try and get him into a good walking routine then and get some reins to help so that by the time DH takes over it is a bit easier.

I guess buggy back up might be worthwhile on hideous winter days, but those are days I probably won't mind not cycling to collect him anyway!

scrappydappydoo Tue 27-Oct-09 22:09:14

Whats the one that was on the apprentice - folds into a small suitcase??? I drooled over it at the time but I'm forbidden from adding to out pushchair collection..

horsemadgal Tue 27-Oct-09 23:47:37

Can you leave (cheap!) buggy at nursery?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now