Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Please tell me about mountain buggy

(14 Posts)
alexw Mon 19-Oct-09 12:26:52

Am looking at prams for no 2. Do lots of walking and outdoors stuff. Has anyone used one? Good / bad points. Had a frog for dd1 and loved it but am thinking something a bit sturdier with regard to wheels might be better this time. Not too worried about it being extra light weight or easy for car etc... Thanks.

DorotheaPlentighoul Mon 19-Oct-09 12:34:51

I have a Swift (the "lightweight" one they do ... or used to do) and I love it passionately, but I'm not sure it would be right for you as not sure if suitable from birth.

I have a very tall and heavy toddler and MB is one of the only brands that has a high enough weight limit for him.

Only thing to mention is that they are not as easily available as they used to be - I believe they went into administration last year and although you can still get them, I'm not sure what the story is regarding the future of the brand (I had heard Phil and Teds might buy it, but don't know if they did). Someone else will prob be along soon with more info though.

FlightAttendant Mon 19-Oct-09 12:40:41

I've had two MBs. They are fantastic, can't fault them, apart from my new one (last feb) has had a sticking brake since we got it and is currently in bits, frame at the distributors' workshop, being examined, as it jammed on completely the other week.

My first one was the second hand fixed handle version and was great.

You can still get the new ones but tbh I am not certain I'd recommend it now having had this issue.

Everything else about it was super though.

alexw Mon 19-Oct-09 12:59:14

Thank you both. Wonder how it compares with a P&T?

1dilemma Mon 19-Oct-09 13:00:37

I have one
It's indestructible (foam wearing out after 7 years!) and a little bit of rust whihc surprised me.

It's is also more suitable for bigger children ie my lazy 6 year old can sit in it can't get anywhere near the out n about (that is also a great pushchair!)

Bad points none really (I don't like the colourhmm) MIL chose it smile

we have urban so wheel can swivel or fix it's great

FlyMeToDunoon Mon 19-Oct-09 13:05:45

I've had one and a P&T.
MB feels lighter to push- I had a second hand, older model, fixed handle. It is so sturdy and feels indestructable.
I didn't use my P&T as a single much so can't do a full comparison for you but I have read lots of reports from people who preferred the MB.
I would have an MB again but not a P&T.

abdnhiker Mon 19-Oct-09 13:09:06

alexw I've had both the MB (Urban single) and the P&T and the MB is infinitely better (but not a double, which is why I got the P&T in the first place.) The MB is so much easier to push, especially one handed, and the seat recline is better. I would recommend it over the P&T every time unless you plan to have your kids close together.

I use my MB alot on trails and have even jogged with it (not on a regular basis because I'm too lazy but it can be done).

Lucky13 Mon 19-Oct-09 15:39:08

Another glowing report here for MB. I have had an Urban for 2 years now and it is fantastic! We take it on daily long walks through mud, snow, sand and even up mountains and we have never had a fault with it.

We had a carry cot to start with and used it every day for 6 months. It was v comfy and roomy.

Would def buy another. Out n About have taken over Mountain Buggy now I think.

kerryj3 Sun 25-Oct-09 23:35:02

Hi:
Well, for rough and tumble use (trails, park, country) - few are sturdier than the MB. Frame is rugged, wheels are fat and grippy, fabric is tough. We take ours to the beach and hiking and never a problem. Here is a page with some pros and cons for MB (best double stroller). www.buy-a-jogging-stroller/best-double-stroller.html

From what I heard, it can take way more punishment than the P&T - which is more of a city push chair

We originally had a few problems with tire flats but handy-spouse solved that by injecting some goopy stuff or other into it.

Best of luck.

hettie Mon 26-Oct-09 08:47:19

we have a very old urban and it's the best thing ever- all my friends who have pushed it are very admiring. It's indistructable and simple, the seat on ours reclines v nearly flat with a simple strap, good size basket..... The main thing though is it is dream to psuh even with heavy toddler. We live in a very hilly area and it makes light work of those, muddy paths, the beach, grassy fields etc. And actualy mine is not that much hevaier than a Maclaren. In fact I am very upset that as number two is on the way (and ds 2.8 has not managed to completely give up pushchair) I may have to give it up to use a double sad

christiana Mon 26-Oct-09 08:48:39

Message withdrawn

camflower Tue 27-Oct-09 20:37:20

i bought a mb swift a couple of months ago (it is suitable from birth) and I LOVE it! was having trouble with a sticking brake initially but that was only cos it needed a squirt of wd40. ds drops off the minute he gets in it so i'm glad i didn't get something else for the sake of being able to have a rear-facing seat

holytoast Wed 11-Nov-09 18:39:14

ooh, really happy to have found this thread - we are looking at a MB - (well, DH is, I'm only 4 months pregnant, but makes him feel useful bless 'im!.) Happy to wait and think more about it, but e have seen what looks like a bargain on ebay - 100 starting bid, 'hardly used' MB urban which looks in very good condition, with all the bits, just needs a carseat that will attach. Do you all think these MB are indestructable enough to be good buys secondhand?

hettie Wed 11-Nov-09 22:04:41

yup very good second hand bet- mine has been through 4 kids now! Re the car seat- if you want to put the car seat atachment on you have to take the seat fabric off but then maybe you will be swapping between car seat and carrycot in the early days? The very old version take a diff carrycot, so worth asking about the age of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now