Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Which pushchair for newborn and 2.7 year old toddler?

(17 Posts)
Rindercella Sat 03-Oct-09 23:27:03

Hi pushchair ladies. Wondering if you can help me please?

I am expecting DC2 in March 2010 when DD will be 2.7 years old. I am really confused as to which pushchair will be best. I currently have a Quinny Buzz from when DD was little, with its bucket seat, carry cot, etc., and also DD's McLaren stroller. Now, DD is a very active little girl and likes walking every where she can, but I like to keep her in the buggy sometimes, especially when out around busy roads.

Will I be able to get a buggy board for the Quinny, and will this be suitable for DD? Will she not need a seat for herself in case she gets tired? Would you recommend I ditch the Quinny & get a double buggy suitable for a newborn and a toddler?

Your advice will be very much appreciated. Am off to bed to rest the bump now, so TIA for any replies smile

geminigirl Sat 03-Oct-09 23:57:48

I will also be watching this post for replies...I am due at the end of October and have a DS who will be two in November...thinking of getting an out 'n' about 360 Double Nipper.

Rindercella Sun 04-Oct-09 11:28:43

Bump smile

Sidge Sun 04-Oct-09 13:00:12

I've got an Out N About Nipper Double 360 and love it. Light, so easy to push, folds relatively flat and fits through my front door.

MrsBadger Sun 04-Oct-09 14:07:36

as you say it depends how far and how fast you usually walk, and how good a walker dd is

dd will be 2.5 when dc2 is born and judging by her current walking we will be fine on a buggyboard. The Lascal buggyboard fits the buzz fine - here.

Get reins or one of those backpacks with a strap if you still can't trust her near roads though. Start teaching her now and you have 6m to help her get it right...

flowerybeanbag Sun 04-Oct-09 14:24:53

Ditch the Quinny Buzz. I had one for DS and now expecting DS2 in a month. We investigated buggy boards for DS1 but you can only use them with the Buzz when you have the pushchair attachment on, not the carrycot, and the pushchair has to be in its facing-forward mode, not rear-facing.

No good for us as we would want to use the carrycot for 4 months-ish then go rear-facing for a few months, by which time we probably wouldn't need a buggy board anyway.

So we've got ourselves a Phil and Teds instead. DS will be 2.6 and is already excited about going on top with the baby underneath him. Looking at their resale value on ebay as long as we keep it in reasonably good nick we should make back a fair bit of what we've paid for it, meaning it's not actually that expensive overall.

Rindercella Sun 04-Oct-09 16:23:27

Thanks so much for your replies. What a shame & a pain about the Buzz, I was sort of hoping I would be able to get away with putting a buggy board on the back, but obviously would want to use the carrycot with a newborn baby.

I do have a backpack with reins for DD. She loves it...but loathes me having anything to do with the reins hmm Think I might have to train her practice round the garden.

A friend has the Phil & Teds and I guess the advantage of that is that it can be used with just the baby when DD really doesn't need use of a buggy anymore.

Hmm...think I will need to look into Ebaying my Quinny.

Thanks again everyone smile

eastendmummy Tue 06-Oct-09 15:43:23

I've just bought a Phil and Teds from gumtree for £250 and it's in brilliant condition so I'm sure I can sell it on when ds, who will be 2 and 2 months when new one arrives decides he wants to walk everywhere. I've only heard good things about them and I'm looking forward to getting out and about it with it as a single buggy before new dc arrives. It may be worth looking on ebay/gumtree to see what you can get secondhand?

lynniep Tue 06-Oct-09 15:57:16

I've got a Phil and Teds too. Second hand on ebay for £140 with all the bits (Raincover, cocoon, car seat adapter etc). Would have liked new but just didnt have the funds ( I used my pregnancy grant for this one smile

Its fab and I wish I'd got one at the start. DS will be 2.8 when DS2 arrives next month (well, unless he arrives early but I'm hoping that doesnt happen as I'm not ready yet!)

Just have to get off my bum and sell the micralite thats been in the garage for two years. Keeping the buggy style pushchair in case needed down the line (silver cross pop) and keeping the hauck infinity for now as I like the carrycot attachment and its currently got a bibi stroller attached which is great for short safe trips up the road (Wouldnt trust DS to stay on it for the longer stroll to his nursery though!)

Sunshinemummified Tue 06-Oct-09 16:11:03

Agree re. P&T. DS was 2.5 when DD born. He's now 3.5 and we took it on holiday with us as they will both sleep in it when they get tired which is an absolute godsend when you're out and about.

Raincover isn't brilliant though and it's worth getting the velcro hooks and saddle bags for carrying things.

Knickers0nmaChoppedOffhead Tue 06-Oct-09 16:36:50

we have the p&t and it is fab. Wouldnt use any other double now.

Sammia Wed 07-Oct-09 09:05:42

On the chatter for the Out N About double.

I just recommended a friend to baby gear @ pushchairsonline.com for the 360 single.

if you do want to go new.. then it's on for £299.. seems pretty reasonable.

www.pushchairsonline.com/out-n-about-nipper-double-360.html

They do the P&T but i think Icoobaby do those slightly cheaper..

llareggub Wed 07-Oct-09 09:15:35

My DS is 3 this month and my DS2 is 5 months, so roughly the same age gap. There isn't a chance in hell that my elder son would get into a buggy, not now and not when his brother was born. He walks everywhere. Now only you know what your DD is capable of, but we manage without a buggy board too.

I wouldn't set off on a very long walk with him, I limit our walks to distances that he can cope with. If you are willing to do that then you should be fine with the buzz. We manage much longer distances with DS on his balance bike, which has been a great buy.

Good luck with the pregnancy.

Sammia Wed 07-Oct-09 09:24:10

www.mumsnet.com/Reviews/PushchairsDoublePushchairs/1013-out-n-about-nipper/

KEAWYED Wed 07-Oct-09 09:25:05

I have the First Wheels twin.

I like it because you have the normal seat for the toddler and I had a baby basket type thing (sorry my minds gone blank) that DS3 could lie down in and they could face you or outwards. After I changed babies bit to a seat.

GoldenSnitch Wed 07-Oct-09 09:47:05

I asked a question just like this a little while ago.

DD will arrive in December and Ds will be 2.9.

Everyone recommended a P&T. I've ordered a Sport and it should arrive this week

LovestheChaos Thu 08-Oct-09 12:39:13

My second child was born when ds1 was a good walker at age 2.3. I did not think I would need a double. It was a nightmare with a pram and a buggyboard. I caved in and bought a phil and teds and it was worth every penny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now