Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Phil and Ted inner tube EXPLODED! today.... any advice?

(23 Posts)
Crackopenthebaileys Sat 03-Oct-09 19:15:46

Hi All,

Lat wednesday I received my beautiful brand new Phil and Ted Sport, and have been over the moon with it. However, after an hour walk into town today, I parked it up in the porch, whereupon the front inner tube literally exploded about an hour later!
DD and I were in another room, it is a fully enclosed porch, it was not hot, there is nothing stuck in the wheel. The inner tube has a cartoon style blast in it, completely unrepairable. WTF???!
I will go to Halfords to get a new ne tomorrow, but have you ever heard anything like this? What have I done wrong?!

Crackopenthebaileys Sat 03-Oct-09 19:17:48

Oh, must add that it was a really loud bang, and I thought that the door had slammed. DH insists it wasn't over inflated, he used a foot pump with a pressure gauge. And it's been used twice a day evey day for 11 days.

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 03-Oct-09 19:19:33

just a dodgy tube i would think?
have u not had a puncture yet? - thats good going!!

Fruitbatlings Sat 03-Oct-09 19:21:28

I had 5 punctures in 11 months. Bought final inner tube and sold it pronto.
Shame really because apart from that I love my P&T sad

Crackopenthebaileys Sat 03-Oct-09 19:21:48

lol, I'm starting to think I may regret this choice of pushchair! I may try the slime stuff.....

Crackopenthebaileys Sat 03-Oct-09 19:23:51

Oh no, I'm worried now fruit, because it's cost a fortune I love it grin
Did you try the slime stuff at all?

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 03-Oct-09 19:26:29

I noticed most of them on ebay have 'treated with green slime' as a selling point!!

Fruitbatlings Sat 03-Oct-09 19:28:11

Tried the slime stuff in a brand new inner tube, it got a puncture and the slime seeped out and went all over the tyre.

Maybe I was just unlucky but I was warned when I first bought it.

I think you should invest in some really tough new inner tubes. Don't get P&T ones (which is what I kept doing) and don't over inflate them. They should look as if they are a bit flat smile

Crackopenthebaileys Sat 03-Oct-09 19:30:12

Thanks for that advice, I will get them from halfords tomorrow, I wonder if there will be more expensive stronger ones?
Slime sounds gross, don't fancy that much!

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 03-Oct-09 19:30:27

Take it back. Clearly it's faulty.

The P & T UK distributors are really helpful and have replaced things in the past for me.

Fruitbatlings Sat 03-Oct-09 19:34:57

The tyres aren't under the warranty. I contacted P&T and Babies R us, they both said they couldn't do anything.

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 03-Oct-09 19:35:26

ilovemydog - can u put a link on to the one you use?

Crackopenthebaileys Sat 03-Oct-09 19:40:15

www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_205705_la ngId_-1_categoryId_228377
Have just found these on the halfords website, am wondering if I might be able to adapt them and use them on P&T? Will ask tomorrow!

LeonieSoSleepy Sat 03-Oct-09 19:43:42

Message withdrawn

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 03-Oct-09 19:46:19

here

Crackopenthebaileys Sat 03-Oct-09 19:46:30

Take a look at the halfords link i have just posted Leonie. It's a protector that goes between the tyre and the inner tube. Even if it's not the right size I may buy it (even at full price!) and try cutting it down to size. Has to be worth a shot!

Crackopenthebaileys Sat 03-Oct-09 19:49:03

did you email the 'out and about' link Ilovemydog? Or should I contact Kiddicare which is where I got it?

purpleflower Sat 03-Oct-09 19:55:57

I'm wondering where I'm going wrong after reading this. I bought a second hand P & T E3 about 9 months ago and I haven't had a puncture yet! I've had it in woods and allsorts.

I hope you get it sorted out

Crackopenthebaileys Sat 03-Oct-09 19:58:40

Purple you may need to bump it a little more vigorously up the kerbs, failing that leave it in an unmanned room for an hour grin

Pondering now if its Kerbs or Curbs.....hmmmm

LeonieSoSleepy Sat 03-Oct-09 20:06:59

Message withdrawn

Fruitbatlings Sat 03-Oct-09 20:12:48

I have had my Frog for 4.5 years and never had a puncture. It's just crappy P&T cheapo inner tubes

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 03-Oct-09 20:38:10

Think I emailed P & T directly about the problem, and they said to copy email and take it to where I bought it, and they replaced the part.

LeonieBooCreepy Sat 03-Oct-09 21:53:38

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now