Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

ok who told me I could clean my phil and teds main seat in the washing machine?

(8 Posts)
sunglasses Wed 30-Sep-09 22:14:19

Hi, I posted a couple of month ago about cleaning my phil and teds pushchair seat- its sand coloured and filthy after two years of use. I was told you could take it off and put it in the washing machine. I have taken it off ( after much faffing about with screws etc but there is no way I could bend it into the machine. It is rigid! what am I doing wrong?
Can I remove the cardboard/plastic inserts in the seat pad and back? I cant work out how but there is no way I could bend them into a washing machine!

I have also bought a replacement shopping basket and footwell but again it all needs to be screwed into place! Is it really supposed to come off? I am very doubtful at the moment. Please re-assure e I have done the right thing!

i have a pushchair in bits at the moment!!

sazm Wed 30-Sep-09 23:15:37

you cant wash the main bit in the machine as it doesnt fit!unless you want to unpick the stitching and re-stitch it!

i put my main seat unit in the bath and SCRUBBED it with a nail brush and some soap powder dissolved in warm water,then rinsed it well and hung it on the line to dry,
i washed all the other parts - doubles seat, shopping basket/footwell,hood in the machine on a 30 degree wash,
it looked like new when i'd finished,

sunglasses Thu 01-Oct-09 08:31:16

Thanks- Some one did tell me they put theres in the machine last time I posted but I did think that sounded strange. As long as I can wash it in the bath thats fine. Was getting worried that the reinforced plastic/cardboard stuff might not stand being immersed in water. I have a new footwell thing and will put the hood in the machine. Encouraged by you saying it looked like new again!
Thanks

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Thu 01-Oct-09 09:51:07

Maybe they have a bloody big machine then!

I wouldn't immerse the main seat in a bath of water though, they take AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGes to dry out (unless you have ages, then that's fine!)

and I would use liquid washing powder as I found despite several rinses of the main seat (with the hose in the garden!) it still had pwder residue when dry.

whyme2 Thu 01-Oct-09 09:54:03

I took mine outside and scrubbed it with washing liquid and hot water then let it dry in the sun.
This was the 2 nd time, the first time I put it in the machine and it was a disaster. Ended up with one strap torn off by the spin cycle.

horsemadgal Fri 02-Oct-09 13:46:53

I put mine in the washing machine. Was the E3 if that makes a difference.

MatNanPlus Fri 02-Oct-09 13:54:31

I would go with wetting it down then using fairy / dish liquid and a brush and then repeated rinses and brushes to leave it bubble and grime free

loobyloo4 Sat 29-Jul-17 09:25:23

My daughter has just acquired a grubby Phil and Teds double pushchair. We have removed the second seat from the frame. Popped it back on itself and used a toothbrush to clean out the crevasses. Put it in the washer( a large one) on 40 degrees with a couple of hand towels to stop it unbalancing the machine. Used liquid soap and washed for an hour. Yes the plastic insert bent a little but regained shape when put back on the frame. Padding moved a little and need easing back into position. Otherwise no harm done. Yet to wash the rest but pleased so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now