Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Phil & Teds novice here, some basic questions

(13 Posts)
FattipuffsandThinnifers Thu 17-Sep-09 19:21:54

I'm looking at getting a Phil & Teds for imminent arrival of dc2 (ds is just over 2), and have some really basic questions please:

- is there much difference between a Sport and Vibe? Why is the vibe so much more expensive?

- a friend has a 2nd hand Sport with cocoon and raincover for £250. Is this worth it? I've seen new ones for £320 for the buggy only, so with new cocoon & raincover would be about £100 more. Is it worth paying this amount less for one that's had around 14 months' use?

- other than cocoon for newborn and raincover, do I need any other accessories?

- I have an existing footmuff (Mamas & Papas pliko) - would this fit?

Thanks for any answers.

silverfrog Thu 17-Sep-09 19:31:56

I'll do my best at answering.

I have a Sport, and love it. A truly marvellous thing. dd1 is SN, though, and at 5 is just coming out of a buggy, so I have had a good few years use...

afaik, the main difference between the Sport and the Vibe is that yuo can apparently fold the Vibe with the second seat still on. I think this is only when it is in rear toddler mode, but don't know as haven't ever had a go with one. It might be a bit lighter too.

Downside, imo, is the Vibe doesn't seem as roomy as the Sport. It def has a smaller footplate (massive consideration for me, as dd1 is quite old and has huuuuuge feet grin. there is no way she would have been comfy in a Vibe over the last couple of years)

I'd say a Sport with 14 months use is worht looking at, as long as treated reasonably well. Mine is now 2.6 years old, and has some fraying on the covers form rubbing in car boot when folded, but otherwise in ver good nick (needs a wash, mind!) no idea what a good second hand price is - maybe try looking at what they go for on ebay?

I have no accessories other than rain cover, which I have only used once. I found it a bit faffy, tbh, and go for the preferred option of waterproofing the children instead! but dd1 has issues with raincovers anyway (ASD) and so I only try to use it if caught in monsoon-type rain.

I have used a generic footmuff in the top (main) seat before, and in the second seat come to think of it. as long as the footmuff has enough slots for straps then you're ok, i reckon. it needs two at shoulder, two at waist and one at crotch. the straps on P&T's are a PITA imo, but you can get footmuffs to work ok ime.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 17-Sep-09 19:39:42

I have a Sport. The cocoon is nice for a winter baby, but by no means essential, and they soon grow out of it (ds2 by 4 months and he was/is a small baby). Raincover is pointless. It is such a PITA to apply that I just don't use it (and it is impossible to use it when the pushchair is set up for a newborn, iirc - no room for the older child's head). Far easier to not go out in rain or stick children in waterproofs.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Thu 17-Sep-09 20:29:46

Oh thank you so much for great replies, really useful.

If there's no cocoon what does the newborn go in?

Silverfrog, so if your 5 yo dd has until recently used it, they must be pretty roomy(unless she is v petite)?

Thanks again.

claret1980 Thu 17-Sep-09 20:58:08

I have a Sport! It is the best pushchair I have by far! I bought my P&T off Ebay last year for £260. It has only been used for 4 months. It came with Raincover (double & newborn), doubles seat and a hangbag (litte bag that hangs on handebar that can fit a couple of bottles, purse etc & newborn cocoon (outgrown in 4 months but kept ds2 snug in the winter).

I usually use bugglesnuggles as opposed to the actual footmuffs, they are a lot cheaper!

SingingBear Thu 17-Sep-09 21:08:54

Message withdrawn

FattipuffsandThinnifers Thu 17-Sep-09 21:16:28

Brilliant, thanks for the further replies.

Sorry to be dense, but the cocoon isn't actually necessary then? I thought it was the only way you could transport a newborn, but does the back section lie flat on its own then? And how does the baby stay in one place without sliding about iyswim?

SingingBear Thu 17-Sep-09 21:20:33

Message withdrawn

claret1980 Thu 17-Sep-09 21:21:03

No not necessary but if you are having a winter baby then it keeps them snug and warm. I sold mine when I had finished with it on ebay and got £30 for it.

SingingBear Thu 17-Sep-09 21:21:44

Message withdrawn

SingingBear Thu 17-Sep-09 21:23:05

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Thu 17-Sep-09 21:27:56

agree SingingBear, removing rear seat is so easy. I wondered about a Vibe when they first came out, but having sneaked looks at passing ones decided t really wasn't worth the upgrade, especially since dd1 prob wouldn't fit in...

FattipuffsandThinnifers: dd1 is not partic petite - she's a tall girl (prob around 115cm these days; haven't checked for ages...) with massive feet (size 11 as measured last week) - hence needing the bigger footplate of the Sport grin!

thankfully dd2 is petite (2.7 now, but still only 10kg or so, and about 85cm) so she still fits fine into the rear seat... in fact, until very recently we could still recline it for her shock grin

swottybetty Thu 17-Sep-09 23:11:05

hiya - congrats on dc2!

i just bought a vibe. the company i got it from messed me around so in the interim got a second hand E3 to tide me over.

1) FWIW the vibe is just fab, it steers better than any pram or buggy i have ever used, it is very light and the basket is much bigger than the e3 (dont know what sport is like). i think the weight is the key thing, i cant recommend highly enough

2) re the second hand one. the travel system (we also had a pliko) we got for dd was ex-display and then the maclaren we got when she got bigger was off ebay. the vibe is the first new buggy we have ever had and cor blimey it feels good. also great to have a warranty. p&t's hold their value better than almost any other buggy - worth bearing in mind that you will be able to sell it for quite a bit.

3) ds thirteen weeks has almost grown out of cocoon. we are going to buy the snuggle. it's expensive if you think of it as a footmuff - but i want him to feel cosy without cocoon.

good luck making decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now