Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Can a baby sleep in a tipped-back "bucket-style" pushchair seat?

(17 Posts)
woowa Thu 10-Sep-09 20:06:41

Was on the verge of buying an Icandy Apple (so lovely in so many ways) but then looked at the 6+months seat tilted back, and thought - i wouldn't want to sleep with my legs in the air, I'd want to sleep flat. I only want a rear-facing pushchair so I can't swap to a stroller at 6 months (especially having spent all that money). Does anyone have any experience with the quinny buzz/icandy apple/bugaboo, all of which have rear facing bucket seats? Does anyone know of any rear facing travel systems which have the possbility of a flat seat after 6 months (the equivalent of a rear facing phil and teds, I guess!)
Thanks

carrielou2007 Thu 10-Sep-09 21:30:42

I've had the buzz (yuk) and bug cam and my dd never slept in the flat postion whilst is the rear facing pushchair rather than pram mode. I used the in the middle one, it is really quite reclined and brill fro sleeping, dd loved the cam and was still rearfacing in it until she turned 2. I would imagine the apple is very similar and would have thought fine (very heavy buggy though)

GoldenSnitch Thu 10-Sep-09 21:50:00

Current advice from FSIDS is that babies are more at risk of cot death if they spend too much time sleeping in a car seat/bucket seat so it's best to save a car seat for car travel only.

Much better to get a lie-flat buggy.

oldraver Thu 10-Sep-09 22:02:45

The Pliko Switch is rear facing and not bucket style a proper flat recline. Also Silver Cross Linear. i'm sure theres more of a similar style

differentID Thu 10-Sep-09 22:05:48

What about the loola?

nicm Thu 10-Sep-09 22:31:52

the teutonia spirit s3 has a rf seat and is flat when reclined with a footrest. really love it and am still using it all the time with ds 16 months. am just trying to find a bag big enough for it so i can use it when travelling too!

CarGirl Thu 10-Sep-09 22:34:22

My understading was that sleeping in the car seat was due to lung pressure/collapsing. A bucket seat is laid back unlike a car seat.

Best thing to do with a younger baby in one is to use a blanket or similar and fold it in such a way as to make the bucket seat more shallow and therefore nearly flat. Hope that makes sense.

carrielou2007 Thu 10-Sep-09 22:36:55

Just a note - this is the 6+ seat, not the proper lie flat pram for newborn to 6 months I am talking about with bucket seats and think OP is too. I would never consider anything other than a true lie flat pram for a newborn/first 4-6 months!!!

nappyaddict Thu 10-Sep-09 22:41:35

Mine wouldn't he hated them.

woowa Thu 10-Sep-09 22:43:45

thanks for those suggestions, will try to find a local stockist to try out. Am most tempted so far by the mothercare my choice as it is a) cheaper than many, b) lies flat c) rear facing,d) fits maxicosi car seat. DH thinks it's not very well made though...

CarGirl Thu 10-Sep-09 22:50:04

The mamas & papas skate will convert from a bucket seat back to lay flat with a baby in it as you just release a few strap things and it converts from a bucket seat to lay flat. I would buy one 2nd hand though.

kellyatbabyguds Fri 11-Sep-09 11:47:54

The Britax Vigour seat lies completely flat rear and forward facing.

sazm Sat 12-Sep-09 09:04:15

if you were using it from birth you would need to get the carrycot too i would think,depending on how much you use a pram,
i love my buzz,but do wonder how comfy ds (9m) is when sleeping,but he does sleep so he must be happy enough in it.
i also have a bebecar rversus(like pilko switch)and i used it when i was walking anywhere when he was little,as it has a lie flat seat unit,

risingstar Sat 12-Sep-09 22:55:10

i have an inglesina outtoto 2 in 1, does everything you describe. You can even fold it in 1 if you have the arms of a baboon- i don;t short arms and large bust!

Would recommend though.

Champagnesupernova Sat 12-Sep-09 23:05:38

My DS sleeps happily in his buzz and has done since he was 6 months old.

BertieBotts Sun 13-Sep-09 16:22:30

The Loola Up goes flat forward and rearfacing - it's also cheaper than many (plus reduced in loads of places ATM) and takes a maxi cosi car seat.

You can get a carrycot to go with it but it laid so flat that I just used the bucket seat from birth in the horizontal position and tucked him in cosily with blankets.

paranoidandconfused Fri 25-Sep-09 20:16:58

the Bugaboo bee is lie flat when rearfacing and forwards facing the leg rest is adjustable so you can make it longer...by the time your baby is about two though the legs would be hanging over the edge of the seat though but that wouldn't be a deal breaker by that age

I loved mine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now