Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Petite zia star or Quinny Zapp?

(13 Posts)
summerisover Wed 02-Sep-09 13:35:37

Need to get a new buggy for ds who is almost 2 (currently using old Britax one, which is great but just about to fall to pieces!)

So the dilemma is which to buy and I have narrowed it down to petite zia star or similar quinny zapp.

I could buy the quinny zapp using tesco vouchers but it has no recline or basket (drawbacks) whereas I would actually have to pay cash for the zia star(which I don't really have). However, I would jsut use my skip hop changing bag on the buggy, so basket not majorly important
Ds doesn't really sleep in his buggy but to not have the option? And we need to take it with us on holiday to Disneyworld in Dec. I just figured if he was tired enough he would sleep sitting up?

Anyone had any experience of taking either on the plane?

Any ideas/opinions gratefully received!

SanAndreas Wed 02-Sep-09 13:50:17

I have a petit star and love it. My ds does sleep in it though, holidays etc. We have taken it abroad 3 times and folds up mega quick and is light.

Didnt have the quinny for the reasons that you said.

Only thing with petit is that its so light it can tip and is heavy to push with a bag on, also the handles are quite low if you are tall.

nicolamumof3 Wed 02-Sep-09 15:47:48

not heard good reports on the zia im afraid, and v.low handled. the zapps are lovely i've had two. took one on holiday in feb and my then 2.2yr old slept in it, but tbh would have rather had him reclining. fab for plane travellling tho if your discreet you can take them on board if you have it folded up and tucked in bag before plane staff notice!! so great for that. funky colours and gorgeous footmuffs. you have to be careful hanging anything off handles. you can get baskets for them.

summerisover Wed 02-Sep-09 16:11:32

hmmm..thanks for that Nicola!

I think i may get the quinny as I'm buying it with my tesco vouchers....so kind of free?
And it's the red one, and I have the red skip hop bag so looks good. Will just put the rain cover in that as I'm stream lining when I go out now - couple of nappies and a packet of wipes! grin

sausagerolemodel Wed 02-Sep-09 16:24:06

A vote here for the Zapp. Yes it does have the drawbacks you mention, but for travelling its brilliant because its so small and light and manoevrable. I have recently reviewed two other much more expensive prams but still choose the zapp for anything involving travel (i.e not just a walk). I got a really cheap compact rain cover from the pound shop which I stick in my handbag if its jusrt threatening to rain.

nicolamumof3 Wed 02-Sep-09 16:27:52

i had a strawberry (which is the red zapp really nice) how much out of tesco's? as i only paid £70ish for mine BNIB from babyvalue seller on ebay, they are listed as used but they are returns and i had two which were both bnib.

www.picturetrail.com/nicolaspushchairs think my zapps still may be on there!

summerisover Wed 02-Sep-09 17:15:52

hi, not great a tlinks but it is here at tesco direct
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-1642.aspx

costs £146.79

and it says it is red - not too girly for a boy is it?

nicolamumof3 Wed 02-Sep-09 17:25:41

no i have boys the strawberry is lovely!

PurlyQueen Tue 08-Sep-09 21:23:44

My mum loves the Zia because it's light and easy to put up or down.

I don't like it because the handles are too low for me and my back aches after I've pushed it. The brake is in an awkward position so I keep kicking it.

weaselbudge Mon 14-Sep-09 14:11:56

I bought two baskets for my zapp on ebay that fit underneath and also on the back and they are great - so don't let lack of basket put you off. My zapp is sturdier and easier to push than our maclaren triumph and i get more in the baskets. I do only use it though when i know that it is not ds' nap time as it doesn't recline. When i know he is tired I take the maclaren.

wonka Fri 18-Sep-09 23:39:44

Ive got a baby welt moon kiss. (I'm selling blush) Its very like the Zia but the breaks are over the wheels like the Zapp. The fold down is fantastic and it opens one handed. The handles are too low for my Husband who is 6ft but for me 5ft 4 its perfect. The basket is little but its enought nappies and handbag!

wonka Fri 18-Sep-09 23:41:31

Oh its the four wheel version so doesn't tip

summerisover Fri 18-Sep-09 23:59:15

Well we bought the quinny zapp last Saturday and loved how it looked and how it moved but my Thursday it was returned as the front wheel rattled so much! and am sure,it's not supposed to do that! Certainly not after a couple of days (and I wasn't marching through fields with it or anything!)

Contemplated zia star but am now awaiting delivery of Jane Energy buggy......

Oh well.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now