Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Double buggy trouble. I'm not liking using my P&T vibe at all, would it be mad to sell it and get a double Maclaren?

(10 Posts)
norktasticninja Mon 31-Aug-09 10:15:10

I never really liked the concept on the P&T (particularly once the youngest goes into the lower seat) but it seemed like the best option for two under two so I went for it anyway.

DS is 3 months and DD is 21 months, I've been using the P&T since DS was born but even though he's not particularly big the lay flat bit is getting too short. I need to take a potty for DD with me when we go out and there is no hope of keeping it in the shopping basket without disturbing DS twice every time she needs a wee. I put it under the top seat and DS kicks against it, which can't be nice for him! I had to stop using the cocoon a few weeks ago, that was a right royal waste of money.... The brake is a total PITA too. Grr.

I've got a bugaboo as well as a maclaren triumph and both are fab in their own ways. If DP and I go out together with the DC we can use those two. I'd like to use the bugaboo with a buggy board later but I think that might be hard going for DD on longer journeys. TBH it's also handy to have her strapped in when I'm on my own with them both. 'tis probably an option from next spring though.

So, are double maclarens any good? I've never seen one in RL, are they very wide/cumbersome?

Oh, and from what age doesn't DS need to lay flat?

nicolamumof3 Mon 31-Aug-09 10:35:55

not wide at all and easy to use, but hard to push, as your ds gets older and your dd you would hate it. have you thought about another side by side? but i'd get something with air tyres. p&t sport was my fave double for two toddlers as i had a mac twin before and gave up as couldn't push 2.5yr old and 13m old in it!

GirlsAreLoud Mon 31-Aug-09 10:38:26

I was considering the double maclaren and have been recommended the out and about nipper instead as it;s apparently easier to push.

nicolamumof3 Mon 31-Aug-09 10:41:05

yes it would be, i had single nipper and it was soooo light about the same weight as xt. its a lovely pushchair. i would try the double if i ever had need for a double again. only thing was my ds at 21m hated the laid back seat which is common on lots of three wheelers.

5inthebed Mon 31-Aug-09 11:03:26

Another one to consider would be the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. Its a great pram and not too wide. I've had the single one and it was a dream to push. You can get an air tyr version as well, City Elite.

ThingumyandBob Mon 31-Aug-09 11:24:20

I’ve been looking at double buggies too…I’ve read quite a few reviews, the maclaren doesn’t do that well. I looked at one and the seats are tiny, my DD is 24 months (I walk/jog a long way so I want her to be able to nap) she wouldn’t have much room.

The Nipper 360’ gets really good reviews and unlike the maclaren you can push one handed if our oldest wants to walk and hold your hand. I had my hearts set on one until I saw the baby jogger, does similar except each child has a separate rain hood and even the double folds with one hand…now I can’t decide.

Hope my ramblings help….but no, I wouldn’t get a maclaren double, much as I love my single one.

StillNorks Mon 31-Aug-09 11:25:43

I had the same dilemma as you.

Had a P&T but when DS was too big to lie down anymore I put the P&T in the loft and got a second hand mclaren double, which I used for 4 months then sold on( didn't even lose any money on it)

From when DS was 7 months the P&T was a godsend - I always had DD in the back seat despite recommendations as otherwise the buggy tended to tip if she wanted to hop out and walk for a bit

THis configeration worked for us til she was 4 and I used the P&T as a single with DD walking - If she needed a five minute rest I used to sit her on the handle bars facing me( no tipping as buggy designed for weight at the back.

I have just sold it as DS is now 3.5 and walks most places.

I hated the buggy board, imo if they need a rest they want to sit down.

Hope you find a solution that works for you

norktasticninja Mon 31-Aug-09 16:23:02

Thanks everyone! I'm surprised to hear the double maclaren isn't up to much. Very glad I asked!

There is a lot less choice in buggies and pushchairs over here, probably because the population is much smaller. I've not been able to find the nipper or the Baby Jogger City Mini Double anywhere at all.

It sounds like I should just make do with the P&T really. Another proper pushchair isn't an option ATM and anyway a side by side is to wide to walk past in my hall and the tandems I've seen here are pig ugly so damn heavy to get up curbs. Oh well.

nicolamumof3 Mon 31-Aug-09 17:36:46

its the wheels they can't carry all that weight!! maclarens are fab pushchairs but you need big air tyres to push too babies easily.

norktasticninja Mon 31-Aug-09 17:41:10

Yeah, that's logical really! I guess there are no replacement wheels with air tyres available?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now