Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

pushchair for big heavy DS

(14 Posts)
bunnybunyip Mon 24-Aug-09 22:43:50

I have noticed that most pushchairs state up to 15kg which is around 18 months, however my DS is a big boy and is on schedule to reach 15kg by about 12 months. He will obviously need a pushchair for a fair while after that. Does anyone know of any chairs which are suitable for heavier children or if the 15kg recommended limit is there for a good reason or can be ignored?

horsemadgal Mon 24-Aug-09 23:38:32

I thought 15kg was the weight of an average 3 year old??

Most pushchairs in this country are safety tested to 15kg hence the recommendation. My son was certainly in a few well over that weight (up until he was 4). blush

What do you need buggy to do? Car, walk, bus?
Rough ground? Shopping centres mainly?

BexieID Mon 24-Aug-09 23:40:52

My Tom is 3.4 and only 14.5kg. Group 1 car seats are upto 18kg whih they say is approx age 4.

Scottie22 Tue 25-Aug-09 20:23:04

If you want to go over the 15Kg recommendation - the bigger three wheelers are the only pushchairs I have found other than sn buggies! Some of these go up to 33Kg. Otherwise like pp's have said you can usually use them until at least age 3. I'm looking at getting a Maclaren XT/XLR for my 2 year old with low muscle tone as she'll need one for a long time yet and they have a good size seat.

babydrip Tue 25-Aug-09 21:59:42

the babydan takes up to higher than that...cant remember exact amount but i put a post on products ages ago...got one in candy stripe...its fab, has adjustable handles and these anti tip weight things on the wheels, reclines vertially flat.
love
Tracey
xxx

babydrip Tue 25-Aug-09 22:11:10

here it is www.mumsnet.com/Talk/products/700056-has-anyone-tried-a-babydan-stockholm-pushchair?msgid=16589126
hope that helps

Scottie22 Wed 26-Aug-09 08:51:31

I've never heard of this one before - will have to have a look!!

mankyscotslass Wed 26-Aug-09 09:03:28

My large 3 year old still has oodles of room in his Jane Nomad, and would have done in the Powertrak/slalom. Not sure what the weight limit is on it, but he is a big lad, over 15kg.

bunnybunyip Wed 26-Aug-09 15:17:13

DS has Beckwith Wiedemann which makes him grow faster in first few years of life (eventually will be normal size).He is 10kg already at 5 months old, but he should only be 3.5 months old as born prem, so he is very large!
I fancied a light pushchair like a micralite toro or bcjm, but I think he will outgrow it and I don't want to have to buy another a few months down the line. . We have a quinny buzz at the moment which is ok but is quite wide, heavy and I think he will outgrow the seat by christmas.Plus after a rocky ride along a ploughed field in the cotswolds it keeps unexpectedly collapsing.

FlightHattendant Wed 26-Aug-09 15:20:25

Well from massive buggy experience I can tell you that you'll find big wheels easier, with a larger/heavier child.

Something like a maclaren will do the job but it'll be extremely hard work. I swapped my stroller for a Quinny Freestyle (the old 3 wheel model) when ds1 was about 3 and still a buggy-addict. It was heaven, the air tyres took all the weight - fantastic.

They come v cheap on ebay. Under a hundred for sure and the fabrics do very well even after much use.

sleepysox Thu 27-Aug-09 20:06:48

The Baby Jogger City Classic has a higher max weight limit 75lbs- around 34KGs for weight and storage.

I had one for my son until he was 4 1/4 as he had health problems, so couldn't walk long distances.

It's such a good buggy. It's so easy to steer and is easy to get up kerbs. It doesn't tip when going on uneven ground or going up kerbs, as the seat isn't 100% upright, so the centre of gravity is lower.

Even with a 4 year old the seat has bags of room. When I was in Florida in March there were kids who looked about 6 or 7 being pushed around in them!

Oh and the 3 panelled hood is brilliant for keeping off the sun- only DS's legs were in the sun!
HTH

Scottie22 Fri 28-Aug-09 20:09:45

Babydrip - have just bought a Babydan which is perfect for dd. Arrived this morning - £39 on ebay - am very happy with it so thanks for your tip on this one!!

bran Fri 28-Aug-09 20:27:26

I have a BJCM for DD which my 5 yr old DS sometimes climbs into. It's quite a bit harder to push with him in it, although still perfectly do-able. DS is about 18kg and average height (110 cm I think).

I know that all the Baby Jogger pushchairs have a higher weight limit in the US and I think the reason that they state 15kg here is that it would cost extra to be tested for safety at a higher weight. I think the same is true of most of the solidly built off-roaders like Mountain Buggy, certainly my old Urban Detour felt solid enough to have taken a baby elephant without creaking.

babydrip Sun 30-Aug-09 09:31:36

fantastic Scottie22 glad you like it!
xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now