Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Under £150 lightweight, compact stroller - recommendations other than Mac!

(36 Posts)
missusp Tue 04-Aug-09 15:39:47

Everyone has there own set of criteria and the answer is nearly always a Mac! I want to be different though. No offense to Mac owners intended grin

So the challenge is must be light, compact fold, lie flatish, under £150, okay for country walks, and stylish lol!

Your thoughts are eagerly awaited!

Deemented Tue 04-Aug-09 16:34:10

Obaby eveery time.

nicolamumof3 Tue 04-Aug-09 17:59:17

country walks you are going to need air tyres i'd say so not really a compact stroller? if you do alot of country walks that is?

missusp Tue 04-Aug-09 18:01:52

hmmm. country walks on occasion but not as often as i would like. And tbh where i go is mostly paths anyway!

nicolamumof3 Tue 04-Aug-09 18:04:09

ziko's are lovely strollers they are being phased out tho by m&p. i am a maclaren girl tho, ziko's are a close second!

reallywoundup Tue 04-Aug-09 21:15:30

cossato diablo?

missusp Thu 06-Aug-09 11:23:45

thanks for the tips.
Obaby looks fav at the mo but are the wheels a bit small?

nicolamumof3 Thu 06-Aug-09 13:50:11

no smaller than most other strollers.

buggylovinmummy Thu 06-Aug-09 15:09:50

Baby jogger City Mini, they are fab, not umbrella fold but still fold fairly compact. I had the Mac quest before this and i much prefer this. It has an almost flat recline and can be used from birth.

missusp Tue 11-Aug-09 11:53:35

now i'm on to the baby jogger city mini grin. Colours look a bit dull tho
Any thoughts on the petite star zia?

Didylicious Tue 11-Aug-09 13:10:21

Okay, I know you said OTHER than Mac - BUT you might not know - that mothercare.com has the Maclaren XT in silver (the best one!) on sale at £165 - free delivery..... AND you can add the order code RS9 to get a further 10% 0ff - making it UNDER £150.

It has the biggest wheels of all the maclarens - And it comes with raincover - and you can tilt the sunshade for really GOOD sun protection - and it folds small and easily.

I'm so excited - I bought one myself and will be selling my 3 wheeler - because I want the space back in my home - I'm so fed up of a huge pram in the hallway.

Anyway - other than that I'd say get the babydan stockholm - only £39 + p&p on ebay - only trouble is, it's only in one colour - stripe - so if you don't like the striped fabric - you'll be paying a lot more for something else.

I have to say the quality of the babydan is superb - at least as good as the mac - and for £39 - you're getting height adjustable handles - big swivel wheels - and it's stronger than the mac as it can take a whopping 23kg no probs. (I used to have one and stupidly sold it - wish I hadn't!).

The mac will have great resale value.

The babydan stockholm is a honest and real BARGAIN for what you are getting for your money. They're end of line stock I believe.

usernametaken Tue 11-Aug-09 17:24:33

Luna Mix... we've just got one. It lies flat, looks a bit different and has wheels of a decentish size. It also folds up fairly small too.

rek21 Tue 11-Aug-09 17:37:57

Obaby! Mine cost £50, I bought it to replace a stupid mothercare urban detour which was a complete waste of money. I have used it every single day for 18 months (including on country walks grin) and it folds up tiny. It is fab.

peachygirl Tue 11-Aug-09 17:51:37

Micralite?
Good wheels for minor off roading, our copes with parks, wood and National Trust properties with no trouble at all. It also copes with public transport including the tube in london.
Some people are put off by the recline But DD as been very comfy in ours and sleeps no problem. It is just as light as a Mac and you can get some good bargains on ebay.

It is also pretty compact especally if you take the wheels off. We have a Skoda Fabia and it fits in no probs and it stands up but itself so doesn't take up masses of room in the house. Although I admit it does take up more room than a Mac.

One thing I love is the single handle as I can have DD walking on the reins and still push it along in a straight line.

HighOnDieselAndGasoline Tue 11-Aug-09 17:57:43

Yes, Micralites are fab. I have a Toro - it pushes SO well, and deals with all sorts of terrain. DD sleeps in hers every day, in fact it reclines right back so she is lying flat.

missusp Thu 13-Aug-09 10:29:04

Gosh, how confusing is all this? I am so bad if i've got money in my pocket... love the thrill of shopping grin
So short list is now BJCM - a bit more than i wanted to spend but given all the threads recommending it i may just have to bite the bullet, i love the look of the microlite too.
Thanks for the tip about the Mac discount Didylicious wink May eat my words!
I still have the Petite Star Zia on my short list too. Anyone got one? pros & cons?
Thanks all for the advise smile

Didylicious Fri 14-Aug-09 11:50:50

My friend had the petite star zia - raved about it at first..... then things started to go wrong... wheel fell off, frame ended up loose - had it serviced, something else went wrong - and she's one of those mums who drives mostly and only has the buggy out for shortish trips so it's not like it was used LOTS..... So personally, given her experience, despite the fab design, I wouldn't buy one myself.

I had a zapp, but again, the frame went loose after a week - that bar at the top that's meant to be level, kept sagging and the frame just didn't feel stable - it wasn't misused at all - I'm very careful with my baby stuff - I like to keep it nice! It did push nicely though - and seemed well made - it was fine after being serviced - just don't know why that happened in the first place.

I just got my mac - they sent the latest version - so it was a good price (under £150) and the suspension is awesome - it actually makes a big difference to the handling of the buggy I think.

I like the look of the micralite too - looks a good one for all round use - although perhaps not quite so easy to stow away on a bus - due to the big back wheels - guess it depends on where you live and how accomodating your buses are - (not very in my area!)......

That babydan stockholm is still an awesome deal - but not very stylish I admit...

The zapp is tiny when folded - but I couldn't fold and unfold with one hand - a big disadvantage for me. It is stylish though!

millypip Fri 14-Aug-09 11:57:59

Hi,

I've just been researching compact buggies. I very nearly went for a Jane sonic or energy as they got much better "bumpy road" reviews than the maclaren. They also fold down very small.

In the end I went for a maclaren quest sport as it has the removable washable covers where the jane didn't. I was very tempted though!

I hope this helps.

lecohen Sat 15-Aug-09 13:30:06

Combi flash - I love mine although I haven't been using it for a while as have too many others but it matches all your requirements I think - mine is still going strong after almost 3 years of use (although in circulation with other buggies)...It is the one that hub would be peed if I sold.

lecohen Sat 15-Aug-09 13:32:16

and as didylicious already said - babydan stockholm - I have 2 at the moment hmm - they are FAB!

naturalblonde Sat 15-Aug-09 13:35:05

Obaby - Mine cost £25 from TJ Hughes

foreverchanges Sat 15-Aug-09 14:35:05

chico stroller ,big wheels perfect for country side ended up taking mine every where and selling my mountain buggy heres one

foreverchanges Sat 15-Aug-09 16:54:16

really strong too my dd sat on the back crossbar till she was 4 and weighed a tonne folds op long ways narrow

FlyMeToDunoon Sat 15-Aug-09 17:11:29

Just washed the covers of my Jane Energy. Removed and bunged in machine. Came out a treat.

foreverchanges Sat 15-Aug-09 17:36:36

oh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now