Talk

Advanced search

First time mum - advice please

(23 Posts)
walnut87 Sun 18-Aug-19 14:53:17

Hi smile

I’m due in January and on the hunt for a pram/pushchair. Feeling a bit overwhelmed with research and options! I have looked at loads and the ones that seem quite good to me are the Babyzen Yoyo+, Baby Jogger City Mini, ICandy Raspberry and maybe Bugaboo Bee (although seems crazy expensive and not sure partner would go for this!).

We live in the countryside but I know that, realistically, we will never go for walks using the pram and instead use a carrier or sling. However, there will be a lot of car use as you have to drive to get anywhere from here. I will go for walks in parks if I’m going into town though, so need to be ok on grass.

Other requirements:
- longlasting - I don’t want to have to buy another one later on, so would like to be able to use it from newborn (with additional carrycot probably since winter baby) through to when they are old enough to come out of one (3ish?)
- compact fold - I only have a Renault Clio and partner has a Ford Fiesta so need something that folds small
- My mum will be looking after baby twice a week when I return to work, and she doesn’t drive, so something good on public transport is needed! She’s not the strongest or most nimble person... lightweight and easy to manoeuvre would be a real advantage.

Does anyone have any of the above pushchairs and are able to advise please? Or suggest any altenatives? 🙂 have I just got too many requirements!?

To throw a spanner in the works, my partner hates spending money and his best mate has just offered us their Joie (Chrome I think) for free. Feel a bit under pressure to make a decision as they want rid of it quickly. I am however suspicious because they have massssiiive SUVs and also their daughter is only one, so bit surprised they are getting rid of it so early.. also they don’t look that cute and I am a bit of a sucker for stylish design >.<

Thank you xx

Expressedways Sun 18-Aug-19 19:36:48

Baby Jogger Mini GT? It’s small/easy to manoeuvre, the fold is compact and it can handle a variety of terrain. I have a YoYo and love it but we live in the city. It’s a bit of an effort to push on grass but I rarely do this (only when taking a short cut through the park). A pushchair that could handle the countryside would be a must if that’s where I lived- even with a carrier I personally wouldn’t want to have to carry a toddler on a walk!

Oct18mummy Sun 18-Aug-19 19:49:34

I have the babyzen yo-yo and the bugaboo fox.

The yo-yo is amazing it folds to literally nothing we bought it for holidays and the fact you can take it on the plane and put it in overhead compartment. It is very light buggy and I feel better for around town. It doesn’t have much space under the buggy for shopping etc but that’s what you get when you want compact I think.

The fox I have and it’s big takes up my whole 4x4 boot. However it’s robust with big wheels and great for long walks etc. It has lots of space for shopping and looks so comfy for baby.

walnut87 Mon 19-Aug-19 11:10:39

Yep the Mini GT, sorry my mind has been officially addled! Have you used one from newborn....?

Yeah we have been uhmming and ahhing but realistically, with the terrain around here there is just no way we could use a pushchair on walks - too many stiles/fields full of crops... It’ll be carriers all the way (free weight training at least! >.<)

Has the Yoyo been flimsy at all for either of you? I’ve read a few reviews that says it maybe doesn’t hold up for as long as some other similar pushchairs?

Expressedways Mon 19-Aug-19 14:12:28

I’ve had the YoYo for two years and in my experience it’s not at all flimsy. The state of the pavements where I live is awful so it gets bashed about a bit, it’s also done a few unexpected trips in the hold of the plane when it’s been a regional flight on a tiny aircraft. It’s still going strong! I did buy a new colour pack but only because we were stupid enough to get a light colour and couldn’t get the snack stains out in the wash. I don’t have the Mini GT but I know a few people that do- I’m always so jealous when it snows as it looks like a dream to push compared to the YoYo.

gonewiththerain Mon 19-Aug-19 14:18:28

If someone is offering a free travel system say yes. You’ll have a much better idea of what you need after you’ve had your baby and can then buy something that will work and last.
I’ve got a silver cross pop stroller that’s from birth and is great, folds small and is light. My mum looks after ds for me when I’m working and she finds it really easy.
I also have a silver cross linear with both chassis’s which I use and is great for rough terrain I bought this when ds was about 9 months

Oct18mummy Mon 19-Aug-19 15:32:33

Agree with pp the yo-yo is not flimsy at all very robust I just wouldn’t take it across parks/grass/countryside etc although saying that on holiday it was dragged down the beach. It steers beautifully can use just one hand. Am v happy we bought it. We bought it in the grey and so far not too stained etc x

walnut87 Mon 19-Aug-19 21:28:03

Hmmm thanks guys, the yo-yo seems quite sturdy then which is good smile the GT is also sounding good but it’s looks quite a bit heavier which makes me wonder how good it’ll be for public transport. Hmmm.

@gonewiththerain that’s true, hmm. How did the Silver Cross POP work for newborns? Can you get a carrycot and car seat adaptors? I love the Silver Cross’ in general, but they all seem quite big when I’ve seen them in person.

gonewiththerain Mon 19-Aug-19 21:42:08

It’s a lie flat stroller suitable from birth. Ds felt a bit small in it until he was about 3 months old but from then it’s been great.
I used it when going out in the car and I only really went to the supermarket for the first few months ( I used a big old silver cross pram just for walking round village with dogs).
The linear on either chassis is quite big.
I didn’t buy a pram with a car seat attachment and I wouldn’t have used it anyway as ds woke up the minute I touched the car seat.
I got the linear because I needed something with solid tyres for off roading and a chassis that would take a lot of extra weight

mclover Mon 19-Aug-19 22:22:57

Or baby jogger city Versa GT? Comes with a seat that faces both parent and world. Really great buggy.
Also, buy second hand - join some Facebook groups like bugaboo or baby jogger or mountain buggy second hand ... people are always selling great condition buggies, total waste of money buying new

mclover Mon 19-Aug-19 22:23:49

Just to add, you can pick this up for about £150 second hand with a bassinet.

mclover Mon 19-Aug-19 22:26:03

bugaboo bee is also good - very lightweight. Again new it'll cost (with footmuff, extended canopy etc) £900 but you could get a near perfect bee5 for £250 second hand

BikeRunSki Mon 19-Aug-19 22:27:40

The one handed fold on the Baby Joggers is amazing and fantastic for public transport.

walnut87 Tue 20-Aug-19 07:00:17

@gonewiththerain the pop looks quite good then, it’s just forward facing right? Only thing I guess is the car seat side of things. It’s all so confusing, babies are so unpredictable ha!

@mclover I had a look at the versa, think it’d be a bit heavy for mum sadly :/ thank you for the tip on Facebook, didn’t know they existed! Do you have a bugaboo bee?

walnut87 Tue 20-Aug-19 07:01:13

@BikeRunSki that’s helpful to know, thank you smile have you used one from birth?

boymum9 Tue 20-Aug-19 07:03:09

I used the city mini gt from birth for ds2 and adored if (still use it now) it was so much easier to manoeuvre and fold down, it's still very light but also study. I had a bugaboo cameleon with ds1 and also looked nice it was a pain in a bum to move around, get in and out car etc.

BikeRunSki Tue 20-Aug-19 07:15:56

@Walnut. I used a Baby Jogger City Mini from birth with DD. It lies flat, and I used a soft carry cot (Phil n Ted’s Cocoon) with it. I used to just lift the carry cot off like a sports bag in one hand and fold the City Mini in the other. I used buses a lot when dd was a baby, and even did a weekend in London with it.

The baby in question is almost 8 now though, but I don’t imagine the one handed fold mechanism has changed significantly.

The GT is the off road version of the City Mini. It’s heavier, but may be better for rural living. Having said that, we live rurally, and only ever used a sling or baby carrier for walks.

mclover Tue 20-Aug-19 11:06:59

The bee is really lightweight, I live in London so great for tubes, bus, super light weight and you can carry it up stairs by yourself with the baby and your bag on it if the lifts are broken. You can get a bassinet for it or a cocoon for when they are newborns then just move to the seat. Lasted my boy till he was almost 3 size wise, no need for multiple buggies. You'll find one in any John Lewis to try. Watch you local Facebook market place for second hand ones. Only negative I'd give is it doesn't have a side they can snuggle into when they are too big for the foot miff, but some people buy a bugaboo buffalo seat and swap that in.

If you are ever in a playground or somewhere with lots of mums, ask people for their opinions and im sure they will offer you a quick test drive! No one will mind and people love chatting about buggies as there are so many options

HearMeSnore Tue 20-Aug-19 18:19:18

I absolutely loved my Quinny Zapp and Maxi-cosi cabriofix car seat combo. I had a teeny boot at the time so I needed something compact and the Quinny is so small and light I could virtually lift it out and reassemble it one-handed. Even though it's so light it still felt sturdy and safe, and was highly manoeuvrable. It wouldn't be much good as an off-roader, with a three-wheeler frame and quite small wheels, but was brilliant for our purposes (in and out of the car, mostly).

Once DD outgrew the car seat and I put the proper buggy seat on the frame, it lasted us about another year before she got too big for it. Then I bought a standard umbrella-fold pushchair off eBay for £20. Think it was a Chicco. Did the job for the rest of her time in a buggy.

JoshMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Aug-19 11:47:20

Hello!

Sorry to jump in, but we reviewed 10 of the best buggies on the market: might be a good place to start.

Hope it's useful!

Her0utdoors Thu 22-Aug-19 13:33:04

cybex-online.com/en-gb/strollers/eezystwist is what I'd get is i was buying a pram for just town use.
I've had a Mutsy Evo for nearly 6 years and it's been bloody fabulous, but possibly a bit bigger than you would like. Don't discount how useful a pram can be on off road walks if you are taking a picnic/ stuff the toddler insists on though. Best Buggy UK has a great side by side comparison section on their website.

walnut87 Thu 22-Aug-19 18:01:43

@boymum9 thanks smile appreciate all narrowing down advice!

@BikeRunSki oooh that sounds quite similar to our situation! So you had the non-GT version? How long did you use it for? Sorry so many questions... BF doesn’t want me to buy a pram that we then ditch 1 year later!

@mclover thank you so much that’s really helpful. I’ve joined one of the Facebook groups already smile God a playground, I’m too embarrassed to even walk into John Lewis and look at the proms at the moment... I find myself doing a lap sort of staring at them from a distance and then run away! Not sure what’s going on there!!

@HearMeSnore. Thank you for the suggestion, I’ve not heard of them and had a look and they seem quite sensible smile I will add this to the list!

@Her0utdoors thank you for the suggestions... now having a look smile

Siobhan1993 Thu 12-Sep-19 21:46:43

What about the doona super easy to just fold down into a car seat then once the baby is to big just get a cheap buggy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »