Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

McClaren Quest or Techno XT?

(28 Posts)
Twiglett Tue 03-Aug-04 21:09:01

message withdrawn

mckenzie Tue 03-Aug-04 21:24:17

does it need to be buggy style? I love my 3 wheeler from Mothercare (I've currently got 5 pushchairs/buggies and only 1 child so consider myself a bit of an expert . You can push and direct it with one finger, really easy to turn, comfortable (or so DS tells me) and not expensive.

moominmama86 Tue 03-Aug-04 21:28:07

I love my XT. I was dithering between that and the Quest and went for the XT because it seemed a little bit sturdier, the seat can lie flatter than the Quest, I *think*, and just looked cooler It's so light and really easy to steer with one hand - brilliant after using heavy Mamas and Papas P3.

Ladykennedy Tue 03-Aug-04 22:01:19

maclaren xt does it everytimes for us www.kiddicare.com do it £99 and deliver really fast.

Yorkiegirl Tue 03-Aug-04 22:04:31

Message withdrawn

Juliehafrancis Tue 03-Aug-04 22:06:40

Maclaren XT!

Gem13 Tue 03-Aug-04 22:45:35

Nothing like a good pushchair discussion...

Not keen on Maclarens either. Had the Quest which I sold on - DS didn't look comfortable if he fell asleep and it wasn't great to push on uneven streets - and a friend had the Techno which she didn't like either.

Depends on where you live and what you want it for though.

Personally, with £100 I'd go for a second hand Nipper...

GeorginaA Tue 03-Aug-04 22:48:31

Twiglett - we've just bought the XT and it's very nice! Lovely and light (easy to push one handed while holding the hand of older child while crossing a road - invaluable for me!)

Only quibbles are that the basket isn't very accessible when the seat is down flat, and adjusting the seat height seems a bit flimsy... otherwise it is ACE. Best pushchair I've owned (and I think I'm on number 7 now.... )

Bought ours from the Glasgow Pram Centre btw, and can recommend them highly.

GeorginaA Tue 03-Aug-04 22:49:32

PS... I have an old Graco Citisport and the older model at least doesn't fold down very compactly - not very practical for our Micra!

Bagpuss30 Wed 04-Aug-04 10:05:35

First Maclaren I bought was a Quest (2002 model)but I didn't think it was very good as the wheels were so small and it had no suspension either. We upgraded it to the Techno XT last summer and I have to say its one of the best pushchairs I've owned. It survived during a quite horrendous car crash we had as it was in the boot at the time so I can testify to its durability. Also, Maclaren very kindly let us have a new raincover FOC (old one got ripped in crash) when I told them about our accident. DD is now 23 months and still fits in it really well and more importantly still falls asleep in it too.

Piffleoffagus Wed 04-Aug-04 10:13:36

I'have two, one I had to sell as I was sourcing funds for my E3 Phil and Ted pram, I now have one given by a neighbour, it has had a 3 yr old in it for 7 mths and it is very rattly and wobbly, the wheels have gone in a bit, but it does still work well enough although the wheels are getting worse.
So if you have a very robust older child I'd go for something less expensive or much stronger...
It is really good as a 2nd pram though

WideWebWitch Wed 04-Aug-04 15:51:55

The differences are that the XT is suitable from birth, the Quest from 3 mos, the XT has padded straps and the Quest doesn't and the XT has larger wheels. I think that's about it. I bought a Quest as dd was already 3 mos so I didn't need the XT features really. There's about 50 quid difference IIRC. You won't stand out though, *everyone's* got one! The brakes aren't fab but that's my only criticism.

GeorginaA Wed 04-Aug-04 17:27:12

www - they've improved the brakes drastically on the latest model (XT at least not sure about the Quest).

Twiglett Wed 04-Aug-04 18:09:43

message withdrawn

GeorginaA Wed 04-Aug-04 19:06:18

Um... hate to say this, but it's the 2004 model where they completely reworked the brakes

Piffleoffagus Wed 04-Aug-04 19:39:47

the brakes are ok, you have to learn to kick them in the right way!

Twiglett Wed 04-Aug-04 19:57:26

message withdrawn

Twiglett Wed 04-Aug-04 20:00:11

message withdrawn

GeorginaA Wed 04-Aug-04 20:42:03

Hmm... perhaps they updated them earlier then? *frowns*

I remember looking at the kiddicare one and thinking it was just the older fabric - still the 2004 one... for some reason I can't access the kiddicare website to check at the moment (have a lousy connection this evening)

Galaxy Wed 04-Aug-04 20:49:14

message withdrawn

Ladykennedy Wed 04-Aug-04 22:20:29

i have the techno xt from kiddicare the £99 one and it does have the new breaking system

Twiglett Wed 04-Aug-04 22:21:53

message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Wed 04-Aug-04 22:25:07

Well, I wouldn't have thought so Twig but hey, you want the chilli colour, you carry on!

GeorginaA Wed 04-Aug-04 22:29:20

The chilli is gorgeous, but not really worth the extra money ... although I went for the chilli anyway

Shh... don't tell dh

GeorginaA Wed 04-Aug-04 22:30:21

Meant to say - glad to hear that you'll get one with the new brakes. Sorry for panicking you unnecessarily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now