Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. To find out which pushchairs have won Mumsnet Best, read our lightweight stroller reviews. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

Best double buggy for 3 year old and newborn?

(26 Posts)
sureitsgrand Tue 07-Nov-17 00:35:01

Baby due in Jan. Toddler 3 in Feb. He is very lively, but for shopping, walks etc still goes in a buggy happily, can't see that changing by Feb. Any suggestions? Will probably buy second hand. Live in the country. Budget of about 250? Any advice much appreciated (please don't suggest slings- I can't use them! Thanks)

PotteringAlong Tue 07-Nov-17 00:38:58

Phil and teds! Will get a really really decent one second hand for that budget.

sureitsgrand Tue 07-Nov-17 00:54:12

Great, thank you, I've seen mostly them and Out n Abouts in my price range.

MrsPandaBear Tue 07-Nov-17 01:07:16

Do you want a side by side or tandem? Id try pushing a tandem with your 3 year old in before deciding- they are heavy to push because of where the weight sits and the seats are surprisingly small.

We went for a side by side as we mostly use it on days out - we got a Baby jogger City Mini double. It has bigger seats which go more upright that the Out and About double ones, and is just about pushable with one hand. They are well within your budget 2nd hand. If you do go for an Out and About instead be aware only the newer ones have two separate hoods - your 3 year old may not want the hood down everyone the newborn is sleeping.

sureitsgrand Tue 07-Nov-17 01:21:25

I don't know!! What do people find best??

sureitsgrand Tue 07-Nov-17 01:22:01

It would probably be used for days out mostly.

MrsPandaBear Tue 07-Nov-17 01:29:56

Think it's personal - could you get to John Lewis and try some and see what your 3 year old think of them? I thought I wanted a Phil and Ted's until both my 8 month old and my 2.5 year old refused to go in the bottom seat. We then bought 2nd hand.

What I like about our side by side is it is incredibly quick to fold but stands up so I can fit it in the boot of a Corsa, my 2.5 year old can hop in and out by himself as he alternates between walking and riding and both kids like sitting next to each other. Downside is the width, depending on where you are going to use it that may be a killer.

Firefries Tue 07-Nov-17 02:02:59

I found that side by side worked best for me but I think everyone likes different types/styles. Id go to a shop and try them out. That's the best way to try and decide.

Hillbillyhotel Tue 07-Nov-17 02:18:54

We went for the Cossatto To and Fro Duo because it can fit through most doorways and into my boot. Have regretted this decision ever since! For two newborns growing up I think it would be fab but,with a 20 month age gap it's a nightmare-my eldest hates the narrow seats and struggles to get comfortable and I dread using it-with the uneven weight distribution getting it up kerbs means I have to tip the pram right back onto my knee and push with my leg,using it after my c-section was a nightmare. Sorry no reccomendation of a fab one but I hate the damn thing so much I had to tell you.

Timefor2 Tue 07-Nov-17 03:12:43

Have you considered a buggy board for your three old? Perhaps worth a try if you have anyone you borrow one off before spending the cash on a double?

redcaryellowcar Tue 07-Nov-17 06:49:55

Mountain buggy?

MagicAlwaysLeadsToTrouble Tue 07-Nov-17 06:53:14

Absolutely get an out and about nipper.

They don’t fold up small but it’s an incredible bugly, easy to push with two children in over all sorts of ground.

MyOtherProfile Tue 07-Nov-17 06:54:27

We had something like this and we loved it. When you don't need the goods on the children can see each other and both of them get a good view of the world.
www.boots.com/graco-stadium-duo-tandem-pushchair-oxford-10135472?cm_mmc=bmm-_-Google+Boots+PLAs-_-BAU-_-C=%28GB%3AWhoop%21%29+Boots+Shopping+-+Category+-+Baby+-+Mobile_%28GB%3AWhoop%21%29+Graco&gclid=Cj0KCQiArYDQBRDoARIsAMR8s_RBCqZVHAOxIUrw3dRVGPK2HFdC4tALXUYX7sYu75xzf7ZYjIdq0ZMaAuLZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I really don't understand the appeal of those ones where the baby sits in the bottom away from everyone and can hardly see anything. (Phil and Ted's maybe?)

InDubiousBattle Tue 07-Nov-17 06:56:40

I love my Phil and Teds. I have a 19 month age gap and love long walks so it's been used loads. Ds is almost 4 now (dd is 2.4)and they can both still fit in it if they need a sleep! We paid £80 on e bay for it.

WhirlwindHugs Tue 07-Nov-17 07:00:03

Mountain buggy duet is good, but depends how tall your 3yo is. You could get an older second hand one in budget.

I like the out n about too.

skankingpiglet Tue 07-Nov-17 07:07:54

Another vote for Mountain Buggy here too. Great for off road if you're in the country. If you are planning on lots of muddy walks then perhaps think about a Duo rather than the Duet. It is slightly wider than the Duet (can still fit through shop doors etc) so a wider seat for the 3yo, and it has really nice big tyres. They don't make them new any more but they are still floating about on eBay.

Demi6 Tue 07-Nov-17 09:38:41

Another vote for mountain buggy duet i love it. got mine online as it was cheapest i could find

HerbsAndStewedRabbit Tue 07-Nov-17 09:48:08

Out and about was the best thing I bought. Can't believe I managed with my horribly heavy travel system one with buggy board for so long. I found a buggy board unbelievably difficult to manoeuvre in shops where you have to reverse and turn tight corners. The out and about I can push with one hand, even now with a three and one year old in. The only thing is no separate hoods. In a year I think there's only been two doorways I couldn't fit it through too.
If I have a third I'm not even bothering with a proper pram. Will use sling for the newborn when tiny then go straight to put and about when a couple of months old.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Tue 07-Nov-17 10:05:25

Get a buggy board. I had just under 2 years with my first 2 and loved the double I had (my child sienta duo) but it was only used 6 months. There's 2 years 4 months with dd2 and ds and the buggy board has been great

beereyt Tue 07-Nov-17 10:14:24

The bugaboo buggy board has a little seat on it. We used that with our 2.5 year old and he sat on it for miles. U can get attachments for all the different bugaboos.

Pythonesque Tue 07-Nov-17 11:08:05

I would definitely say a good sling to start with and then a good buggy board. Our age gap is nearly what yours will be, and I seriously considered getting a 2nd hand double - but checked the sizing and my eldest would have been cramped immediately. I don't think you'll use a double buggy as much as you might think, given the age gap.

user1476714330 Thu 09-Nov-17 11:11:50

have you looked at icandy orange ? this has a bubby board built in

LexieLulu Thu 09-Nov-17 11:22:39

I tried a double buggy with my 3 year old and baby, we got one of them "bro/sis" ones (I can't remember the name of the brand, costetto? That wrong but similar).

I couldn't use it, the weight difference either side made it so hard to move/turn.

I definitely think that you should buy a dearer version (even if second hand) as cheap ones aren't easy!

LexieLulu Thu 09-Nov-17 11:23:58

I much prefer to use my normal pram and a buggy board. Buggy board easily unclips and can go in pram basket and kids love them!

BoredOnMatLeave Thu 09-Nov-17 11:27:29

I also think buddy board makes most sense. If he is really tired or wants a sleep he could possibly go in the pram and you could sling the baby?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: