Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Need huge basket, one-handed push and parent-facing

(12 Posts)
Camdina Wed 25-Oct-17 14:33:02

Please help! My lovely old Britax Vigour has finally died on me and I need a new pushchair. Can't seem to buy the Vigours anymore (after 10 years, perhaps that's not surprising wink) but I can't seem to find anything else that fits the same criteria.

So my priorities are:

- a huge basket (I have 3 other DCs at school. They do carry their school bags but when they also have lunch boxes, football kits, PE bags, swim bags etc etc, the basket comes saves my sanity on the 20 minute trek home)

- easy one-handed push (Older DC still like to hold my hand smile. I really don't like pushchairs with the height adjusting button right in the middle of the handlebar - that's exactly where I want my hand to be when I'm pushing one-handed!

- parent-facing

- fairly sturdy. It doesn't need to be an off-roader (I have a proper all-terrrain pushchair for that) but I do need it to cope with the 20 minute walk to/from school 4 times a day, dealing with kerbs, pavement potholes, raised manhole covers etc.

Can buy new if not too £££ but second-hand fine too. DC4 has just turned 1 so it doesn't need to last that long. I had hoped my Vigour would hold out long enough, but alas it was not to be sad

So lovely people who know about pushchairs - does anything like this exist?!

Thiswitcheshatisnotmine Wed 25-Oct-17 14:37:56

Vista. Massive basket, parent and foward facing. I push mine one handed loaded with baby, shopping and carrying a toddler on my hip ("carry me muuuuummyyyy!").

Thiswitcheshatisnotmine Wed 25-Oct-17 14:39:06

Oh and the height adjuster is in the middle but it needs a firm press so it does not get in the way

SandSnakeofDorne Wed 25-Oct-17 14:41:03

Bugaboo Bee.

JassyRadlett Wed 25-Oct-17 14:48:20

The icandy peach has the button in the middle but steers so well it’s fine with a hand on one side of it - it’s never bothered me but I can see it might to others!

Cost a bomb but there’s a fair few secondhand. I have an old model, much loved, in my loft in case you are near SW London...

The basket is big but not as big as the Vista’s.

MissRainbowBrite Wed 25-Oct-17 14:48:41

I candy apple. Ours was the 2012 model and was a proper workhorse. Big basket, big tyres, a dream to push and DD fit in it until she was nearly 4 if we were doing a long day out and walking miles.

boredofmyoldname Wed 25-Oct-17 20:29:49

Cybex Balios £220

Rear/forward facing, big basket, puncture proof wheels with all round suspension and compact fold.

Camdina Thu 26-Oct-17 09:45:10

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions.

Interesting that everyone seems to think the button in the middle is still ok for pushing one-handed. I’ve tried a couple but didn’t like it at all, but maybe it depends on the particular pushchair.

Thiswitcheshatisnotmine - Lol at you the image of you completely laden-up with toddler bring carried as well! I have often admired the Vista (or rather just it’s huge basket!) so maybe I need to find one to have a go with.

* SandSnakeofDorne* - Funnily enough I already have a Bee, and I do love it, but it tends to stay in the car and come out when bubba and I go into to town for shopping on our own. Perfect for shopping centres but I find it just doesn’t cope well enough with the pavements and kerbs where we live…although maybe I should be getting on to the council to sort out repairing the pavements

* MissRainbowBrite* & * JassyRadlett* - A friend of mine has an Icandy, although I’m not sure which one, and I asked her about it and she said there was no way she could push it one-handed, so I’d kind of ruled them out. I would have had a go with hers, but her DS was having a screaming tantrum in it at the time so we’d thought it perhaps wasn’t the best time to try it out!

* boredofmyoldname* - thanks for the link, that’s a really good price, I haven’t seen the Cybex ones before, will have to see if I can find one to look somewhere

Thanks again everyone, definitely some possibilities in there. Any more anyone?!

JassyRadlett Thu 26-Oct-17 15:35:13

* MissRainbowBrite* & * JassyRadlett* - A friend of mine has an Icandy, although I’m not sure which one, and I asked her about it and she said there was no way she could push it one-handed, so I’d kind of ruled them out. I would have had a go with hers, but her DS was having a screaming tantrum in it at the time so we’d thought it perhaps wasn’t the best time to try it out!

Give the Peach a go (though the seat is quite small so may not last long enough for you). I’ve got 4+ years of pushing it one-handed under my belt and it’s a joy. DS2 is mainly in the (vg) City Mini, and it’s nowhere near as nice to maneovre. Definitely need two hands to get up a big kerb, whereas it was easy to do one handed in the Peach.

Camdina Thu 26-Oct-17 20:08:06

JassyRadlett thanks so much for the info, will def try to find a Peach to have a go.

MrsPandaBear Thu 26-Oct-17 20:28:50

The babyjogger versa gt is good - the height adjustment is at the side, it has a huge basket, a good height seat and folds up small. However, there aren't many places that stock them so i suspect you'll struggle to find one to look at.

IWouldLikeToKnow Thu 26-Oct-17 20:33:28

I have the iCandy apple to pear and I have definitely pushed it one handed. The large basket was one of the attractions for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now