Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

FTM help! Which buggy?

(19 Posts)
pomadas87 Sun 08-Oct-17 06:31:52

Would be very grateful for any advice...
I'm a first time mum and getting overwhelmed by buggy choices. Our requirements are:

- compact fold to fit in tiny boot
- ideally lie flat/convertible as live in one bed flat so it would be great if we could get away with no carrycot attachment
- can click in car seat (also want car seat with isofix base)
- fairly sturdy as will use around town and also walks in woods and along sandy beach

Any ideas? I liked the look of oyster zero but the handle height isn't adjustable and possibly too big for car... would also need carrycot. Bugaboo too pricey unfortunately.

NapQueen Sun 08-Oct-17 06:32:45

Armadillo flip xt

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Sun 08-Oct-17 06:53:49

Mountain buggy mini or swift

chipscheeseandgravy Sun 08-Oct-17 07:01:20

We have the mamas and papas mx2. It’s comes as a full travel system and folds down easily. We got it with the car seat which should be suitable up to about 15 months, depending on the size of the child. You can also buy the isofix adaption to go with it.
You can have the pushchair bit both world and parent facing, and if you don’t want to buy the carrycot part you can have the pushchair part so its completely flat.
The shopping basket is a good size, and it’s a nice smooth push.

Callamia Sun 08-Oct-17 07:03:22

Baby Jogger.
The city mini is very good. I'd choose it again,

user1499169579 Sun 08-Oct-17 07:11:43

Uppababy
Get good sized wheels. Fold is fairly compact. But also great as a long walk or get the bus buggy
It is very light, and I can carry the buggy with my 2 year old in it up the stairs if needed.

Other things to consider-
The smaller the wheels the less comfort for baby, and harder it will be to go off road.
Car seat manufacturers warn that babies should spend less than. 3 hours in 24 in a maxi cosy style car seat, as it impairs lung function and lung growth.
So I would think more about if you will want to use a car seat attachment regularly.

Maybe a sling would work better on days you are in car?

Both of the pram/buggies I use came from eBay.
I really would recommend buying second hand.
They are often practically pristine
And a steal (£100 max)

user1499169579 Sun 08-Oct-17 07:13:28

But it has a carrycot. No lie flat seat. Sorry.

pomadas87 Sun 08-Oct-17 07:18:18

Thanks everyone - googling all these suggestions now!

Would you say that carrycots are worth it? Baby is due in November so my only concern about lie flat is that it would be as warm for baby when out and about?

INeedNewShoes Sun 08-Oct-17 07:24:30

To really do a walk in the woods you'll need proper all terrain wheels which tend to be on bulkier pushchairs. My antenatal group met with our babies for a walk in the woods recently and my all terrain pushchair was the only one that nearly coped over all the roots etc. Even for my pushchair it was hard going. We ended up abandoning the planned walk. If i were you I'd maybe let go of this requirement and use a carrier for that type of walk.

If you really want all terrain use, the mountain buggy mini is great and compact but even at 5ft 3 I thought the fixed handle height was on the low side.

I've got a Jane Epic which I absolutely love which folds compact enough for most small boots, has all terrain wheels. The seat doesn't lie flat but you can buy the Matrix car seat which lies completely flat in the car and outside the car is a carrycot that fits on the pushchair chassis meaning only the chassis and no pushchair seat in the boot and the seat can also be angled more upright when baby wants to see out.

I'm away at the moment and it's fab that the Jane Matrix ticks the box of a lie flat car seat, a pushchair seat and an overnight carrycot (with a special breathable mattress you buy separately) as it's only one piece of kit so very convenient.

The Jane crosswalk seat does lie flat and is more set up for all terrain then the Epic and still compatible with the Matrix so that could be worth a look.

itchywanksocks Sun 08-Oct-17 08:44:20

I cannot recommend the Babyzen Yo-yo enough. It folds tiny, has a newborn insert and can be used as a buggy after 6 months. It’s insanely light and easy to steer, you can steer and assemble / fold with one hand.

Most of my baby group have traded in their bugaboos etc for it as it’s so much more convenient. It lives on the footwell of my car behind the baby seat, it’s amazing

itchywanksocks Sun 08-Oct-17 08:46:59

Oh and for the all terrain stuff I’d really recommend a sling, I’ve tried a lot of buggies / prams and you’ll save yourself a lot of hassle carrying a newborn in a stretch or an older baby in a Connecta. We have a Labrador and there’s no way I could manage off-piste walks without carrying the baby.

Also ideal for the baby napping in the early months as they’re snuggled in

pomadas87 Sun 08-Oct-17 09:25:11

Yes happy to use a sling for more ambitious walks!

I think space at home is my biggest concern, hence why I'm reluctant to get the carrycot if I could get away with a lie flat + footmuff combo.

Also really need adjustable handlebar as big height difference between me and DH

boredofmyoldname Sun 08-Oct-17 12:14:23

Having my time over i'd have the Jane Minimum for day to day use.

It has a lie flat reversible seat, folds small, takes a car seat and the Jane Nest Plus footmuff is so comfy and cosy even for a newborn. I had a carrycot for my second and ditched it for a lay flat seat because it was too big and bulky plus I prefer to use the harness!

Check out to see if there is a sling library in your area too so you can try out some carriers to see what suits you, unless you're in Scotland and have opted for a baby box as there is a stretchy sling included!

I'm not very good with wrapping but my personal favourites were the Manduca and Connecta carriers as I found them easy to use and they adjusted well to fit DH and I.

londonfeather Sun 08-Oct-17 12:15:26

Mountain buggy swift - its the best.

boredofmyoldname Sun 08-Oct-17 13:06:49

Another one with looking at which would do everything you want but is forward facing only, although so is the Zero so maybe not such a concern for you, is the Current M-Air pushchair.

A very outdoorsy friend of mine has this and takes it on all sorts of terrain, I'm sure she used with a carrycot but it does lie flat, folds really flat and the seat is HUGE plus it has air tyres at the back for a smooth ride.

pomadas87 Sun 08-Oct-17 16:40:01

boredofmyoldname I am in Scotland and will get a baby box but it hasn't arrived yet - a sling wasn't on the contents list when I sent off the midwife's form though, so that's great if one is included! Have you received one?

boredofmyoldname Sun 08-Oct-17 17:06:22

I haven't actually had one but volunteer at a sling library and we've had lots of ladies bringing them to us for information and demos. We're in the NE so don't know if the contents vary perhaps?

PhelanGood Sun 15-Oct-17 14:23:26

Mutsy evo and Mutsy igo are two I've been looking at and lusting after online! They have very favourable reviews and are gorgeous as well as practical for your needs - plus they fold super compact. Have a look! The only thing holding me back is the fact I can't go view them anywhere!

PhelanGood Sun 15-Oct-17 14:25:14

P. S. Mutsy evo (and igo too) are a bit like the oyster but way nicer quality plus lie flat and have adjustable handle height!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: