Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Cleaning Pushchair Wheels

(12 Posts)
mommytwo Thu 05-Oct-17 18:33:22

Hi all,

Newbie here. Looking forward to learning and sharing thoughts. Would appreciate help/ suggestions with my problem, which is...

I love going for walks with my 15 month old, but I HATE coming home with a ton of dirt on my pushchair wheels. Our flat is carpeted and I come home bringing germs and muck and dirt and also end up dirtying my carpet. I've tried wiping the wheels with a wipe but its too time consuming and when my little one is asleep the last thing I want to do is disturb him by lifting the pushchair to clean the wheels. I don't know if its a clean freak thing but with my son crawling in the same path I've wheeled my stroller icks me out!

How does everyone manage with the dirt a stroller's wheels bring in? Please help x

GlitteryFluff Thu 05-Oct-17 18:38:02

Hose it down in garden? Store in car boot / shed instead of bringing into house?
Carrier bags tied over wheels? Large mat on floor by front door and keep buggy on that?
Rough wire brush to brush over the wheels to removed chunky dirt?

Migraleve Thu 05-Oct-17 18:38:55

I just used to pour hot water from a jug or flask over them

cafeaulaitpourvous Thu 05-Oct-17 18:40:44

I have a phil and teds

Shower caps!!!!

mommytwo Thu 05-Oct-17 19:04:39

Thanks everyone. We don't have an outdoor space and pouring water over them would unfortunately ruin my carpet. The shower caps don't stay over double wheels sad
I think my best option is just putting a mat out. I used to do that, but it looks so ugly at the entrance and it was always in the way! Plus my son thought the mat was his new play mat!

Migraleve Thu 05-Oct-17 19:09:39

We don't have an outdoor space and pouring water over them would unfortunately ruin my carpet.. Eh? How can you not have outdoor space? Surely the only way they get dirty is when you are outside! You just wash them off before you go back inside?

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 06-Oct-17 18:02:55

Somebody I know makes drawstring bag type things for pram wheels. Might be worth a google?

pamelastone Fri 06-Oct-17 19:33:51

I suggest you use a hose pipe with gush of water. When the water comes out in full force its easy to clean. Wipe is something that you can do later.

TheVeryHungryDieter Fri 06-Oct-17 19:42:11

"How can you not have outdoor space? Surely the only way they get dirty is when you are outside! You just wash them off before you go back inside?"

In practice, that usually means you live in a flat up a few floors. In order to access water to wash your wheels, you either bring it out with you and carry it around for the day, or you come home, take baby out of buggy, run up two flights of stairs while leaving buggy on the busy city street (because you can't bring it in to the common areas while filthy either), fill a container with some water, grab jug and baby and run down two flights of stairs, hope buggy still there, wash wheels on street, repeat upstairs run for more water/stubborn stains.

(I miss a lot of things about my old London flat since moving to the suburbs, but this is not one of them.)

Santawontbelong Fri 06-Oct-17 19:43:03

Op you need 4 strong shower caps!!

Silverthorn Fri 06-Oct-17 19:47:15

If you live in the flat can you leave a big bottle of water in the foyer when you go out?

mommytwo Sun 08-Oct-17 11:12:02

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm constantly looking at the dirt I'm wheeling my stroller over and thinking eeks that's coming into my home.
I think I need to find some strong shower caps and hope they stay on (I use the stroller a lot around my flat too)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now