Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Alternative to BJCM

(8 Posts)
TiggerSnooze Tue 09-May-17 14:17:57

Does anyone know of a good alternative to the BJCM that doesn't have an annoying rear axle?
My son is 2.5 and I'm looking for something for the car / flights / holidays. I already have a BJCM but I'm always walking into the back of it which drives me crazy. If it weren't for that, then that would be the one to keep I think (although I'd prefer something slightly narrower, and ideally 4-wheeled).
I definitely want a single motion 'fold and lift' in one and as flat a fold as possible. And no more than 9kg.
I'm considering the B-Agile but concerned the handle height might be too low, and don't like that the middle hood panel is mesh.
Are there any others out there worth looking at? TIA!

Tiggywunkle Tue 09-May-17 15:10:55

I am coveting a new Joie Mytrax. It is narrower but heavier than your specs though.
How about a Cybex Agis M-Air4? It is narrower than the BJCM4 and 8.2kg. I like the adjustable handlebar.
Alternatively you really can't beat a Babyzen Yoyo for something small, light, easy to fold etc.
I agree with you on the B-Agile. The handle is niggly low.

Tiggywunkle Tue 09-May-17 15:29:23

Another thread has reminded me of the Oyster Zero. It is under 8 kg, has the fold you want and is narrower than the BJ. I have one and it is excellent.

TiggerSnooze Tue 09-May-17 21:47:43

Thanks Tiggy. They both look lovely though I'm a bit concerned about compromising on the folded size (relative to the BJCM) after the struggles we've had with car hire on holiday! I particularly like the look of the Zero but it does look it may not solve the rear axle problem for me: no idea why this is such an issue for me and not others. Think I have a long stride.
I think the B-agile is probably still the front-runner. I'm now considering buying a handle-bar extension and seeing if that solves the BJCM issue for me - if not I can always try it on the B-agile, then just need a solution to the mesh hood panel... ;)

moggle Thu 11-May-17 09:34:41

The joie lite trax is just like the BJCM and the rear axle isn't between the wheels but a few inches above which might give you enough clearance? Comes in 3 and 4 wheel version. Not sure about width and weight

TiggerSnooze Thu 11-May-17 22:35:34

Thanks moggle. I really like the Litetrax to look at and the handlebar sounds a better height for me than the b-agile. I was originally put off by the weight and folded size but am now considering it after reading reviews and looking at pictures of it folded.

TiggerSnooze Thu 11-May-17 22:47:49

Fundamentally, I think I need to decide whether I'm just looking for a travel buggy (to replace my BJCM) or whether I'm getting a buggy to also be my multi-terrain car buggy, and selling my Mosey (which I have a love-hate relationship with tbh so use it less than I expected).
If I sell the Mosey then I'd be less concerned about weight and want something more sturdy that can handle mild off-road well. Folded size and easy fold-and-carry just as important though.
Has anyone tried the new Phil and Ted's Smart model?

TiggerSnooze Sun 04-Jun-17 22:31:42

Bought a 2nd hand b-agile in the end. With the addition of 'sit up straps' and an additional sunshade to cover the mesh panel, it seems fine, and I don't kick the back - hooray! smile
Definitely not selling the Mosey over it though.
And I worked out what makes the handle bar a bit annoying: I don't think it's the height as much as the fact it's​ a flattish bar (not round) which means you naturally try to put your wrists lower to let the flat part of the bar sit in the right place in your hand. Ah well - it's a holiday buggy for me really so will live with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now