Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

iCandy Raspberry woes: anyone else?

(5 Posts)
ACatCalledFang Thu 12-Jan-17 21:40:31

We have an iCandy Raspberry, which I love in many ways, but we have had so many issues with it, I could see us having to get something else - which I'm really not pleased about in view of how much it cost. I'd be very interested to know whether we've been unlucky or whether anyone else has had similar issues. I'm especially keen to hear from anyone who is using it with a child over a year old.

We'd had it for nine months and been really happy with it when the lever controlling the seat position went, so we could only use it in low-flat mode. Ended up getting the whole thing replaced.

Three months later the brake went. Bearing in mind the chassis was just three months old, we weren't very happy. Again, replaced.

Three months on, the brake went again. Apparently it's a known fault with the Raspberry and the wire which controls it has no coating so it's common for it to just snap. We were told they would replace the whole thing as this has been rectified on newer models. So we're now on our fourth Raspberry in 16 months and John Lewis have probably blacklisted me.

However, I'm seriously concerned about how much longer we're going to be able to use it for, in view of the length of the straps. DS is small and slim for his age - 16 months but still fits into some 6-9 months tops and is 9-25th centile in weight. But we can barely fasten him in when wearing his coat and with the footmuff and seat liner attached.

I think we're going to be lucky to get another six months out of it, and that riles me. It's marketed as suitable up to 25kg and I bet DS doesn't weigh 11kg yet. Plus it comes with a three year warranty, which suggests 3 years of usage could be reasonably expected.

I raised the strap issue with JL and was told that they had raised it with iCandy but the latter claimed to be able to fasten an adult into it (!) so there is nothing further JL can do. Well, we were unable to fasten my friend's very average sized just-turned-3 year old into it so I'd question that! We've been using an Uppababy Cruz for the last few weeks and I can't believe the difference in the straps.

If you read all that, well done! Anyone else managing to use this for an older child? Has anyone else approached iCandy directly? I plan to do this, as I don't think it's fit for purpose, but would appreciate anyone else's experiences.

ACatCalledFang Sun 15-Jan-17 12:17:04

Just us, then?! grin
Hopeful bump.

Tiggywunkle Wed 18-Jan-17 14:25:02

I loved my Raspberries. I had 3 in total. My son was using it when he was 4. We got the harness extension and he fitted, even in a winter coat, although yes it was on the tight side. I see no reason why you could not buy another harness - Babystyle sell them for example - and swap the harnesses over though. I do this with Baby Jogger pushchairs which again have shorter harnesses than they used to have.

ACatCalledFang Wed 18-Jan-17 23:43:14

There's a harness extension?!

TheChosen1 Wed 25-Jan-17 18:10:26

I've only had one for 4 months. I bought mine from JL too to cover myself for those eventualities. No faults as yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now