Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Proper off road pram!

(35 Posts)
livelyredjellybean Tue 26-Jul-16 20:28:28

Just started looking for a pram today...
Looking for a serious off-road pram; I have 7 dogs and a horse and walk in fields (no paths). My OH also does a lot of work on the beach. We rarely spend time in town and we do drive (big cars!).
We would prefer a 4 wheeler to a 3 wheeler as we have been advised they are less likely to tip.
Do any of you wise MNers have any loves, hates or ideas when it comes to a pram like this??
Thanks in advance!

mamapants Tue 26-Jul-16 20:34:08

I'm not sure that any of them will be that good on beaches, majorly muddy lumpy fields.
A sling or carrier, like an ergo, would probably be your best bet for that kind of thing.

TheSunsNotYellowItsChicken Tue 26-Jul-16 20:35:23

I only ever found three wheelers which fit the bill. My Phil and Ted's never tipped. Great stroller, lasted beyond two babies!

KayJBee Tue 26-Jul-16 20:36:47

I've had both a double and single out and about nipper 360. Loved them both. Great on all terrain and a dream to push. Loads of storage space and you can fit an older preschooler sitting on the footplate if they get tired legs half way round! Ours has been on snow, sand, rocks, woods, mud, long grass, never tried another pushchair that coped so well. IT is equally easy to push around urban areas and turns on a sixpence with one hand.

Tips: On really soft sand and snow, tip the buggy on to it's two rear wheels and pull it behind you rather than trying to push it. In woods with big tree roots all over, lift it by the handle bar and use it like a wheel barrow, with only the front wheel in contact with the ground. If you take it to the beach and the wheels or frame get saltwater on them, rinse them in clean water asap or the wheels and springs can go rusty.

Ours is really old now but still a proper workhorse

TheABC Tue 26-Jul-16 20:38:30

Mountain buggy - I saw one literally going up the side of Snowdonia - but for serious winter mud, I would use a sling.

Couldashouldawoulda Tue 26-Jul-16 20:38:33

We have the only good one I've tried! It's a baby jogger summit XC - proper, big wheels, full suspension, huge hood. It's awesome, and really takes bumpy walks in its stride. The National Trust house near us owns about 6 of them to lend out for walks on the estate, which is where I came across them. It was so good, we bought our own!

dingalong Tue 26-Jul-16 20:39:15

I've a Bob revolution. www.bobgear.com/. They are very well built (more sturdy than my out and about.

5madthings Tue 26-Jul-16 20:40:08

Out and about nipper or the old mountain buggy or land rover buggy which you may get on eBay.

Some of the bigger emmajungla(sp) prams with four wheels might be worth looking at as well.

RandomMess Tue 26-Jul-16 20:40:26

I was coming on to recommend a Bob revolution as well - absolutely amazing!

Mollmoo Tue 26-Jul-16 20:41:09

I love my out n about. Hasn't tipped... yet... I'm yet to find a surface it won't go over. Soft sand, mud no problem. However, I agree a sling, wrap or carrier would probably be best. They are snug, safe cozy and it's lovely having them snuggled into you. There are loads of different types and different people prefer different ones.

MrsWooster Tue 26-Jul-16 20:41:20

Out n about nipper 360. Loved it, indestructable and not a tipper.

BaronessEllaSaturday Tue 26-Jul-16 20:41:59

Have a look at the Jane Crosswalk. I switched from a 3 wheeler to a 4 for the tipping reason. I had the Jane rider but the crosswalk is supposed to be better for off road though saying that my rider coped with everything I threw at it.

BifsWif Tue 26-Jul-16 20:44:11

Out n about nipper 360

NotSoFancyHanky Tue 26-Jul-16 20:51:09

Jane slalom reverse is fairly robust and easily manoeuvrable.
I generally use a baby carrier(ergo) instead though!

maddiesparks Tue 26-Jul-16 20:53:07

Second the nipper out n about, I live at the coast and have had this buggy from birth for ds3 and it's been fantastic, worth every penny. Great for going over the sand and all other terrain. You can get car seat adapters for the maxi cosi so you can attach it to the Pram frame to use from birth.

KayJBee Tue 26-Jul-16 20:54:01

We borrowed a BOB when we were in Canada and it was an excellent sturdy offroader. I didn't know you could get them here. If you can, then I'd recommend having a look at them too.

I also had an old mountain buggy which was good but the fixed wheel was a pain in the end, so swapped it for the nipper. I wonder if a swivel wheel mountain buggy would be worth a look too. However as someone else above said, the OLD mountain buggys are good, they used to all be made in New Zealand (the one I had was). I was told that the newer ones are made in China and having seen a few, they are not built to the NZ standards and are much more rattley and flimsy. Try and find an old one from ebay or gumtree etc. Mine was approx 2008 I think. I think by about 2010 they had changed to the China built ones.

newmumwithquestions Tue 26-Jul-16 21:00:34

We've got a Jane trider extreme which is pretty good, but like pp said anything is going to get bogged on sand or thick mud.
My understanding is that all off road buggies are 3 wheelers

Voddy4 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:03:26

The icandy peach jogger is good for off roading

livelyredjellybean Tue 26-Jul-16 21:47:53

Thanks for all your suggestions so far, everyone - keep them coming! Aside from Babies/Toys R Us and Mothercare, where else can I look at prams physically rather than only online?

maisybobbins Tue 26-Jul-16 22:42:27

I have a four wheeler emmeljunger which was brilliant for my two DC. No problem on beaches or lumpy bumpy fields. Seriously tough. Bit of an are getting the newborn car seat onto the wheels sometimes but I'd say it's worth it.

maddiesparks Wed 27-Jul-16 15:57:02

OP smaller independent retailers are good for seeing them and trying them out and are usually really helpful.

2nds Wed 27-Jul-16 15:59:47

My mother are xtreme was brilliant for Hill walking. It was a three wheeler but omg it was so strong and robust and we Could have threw it off a cliff (empty ofcourse) and it would have still been OK :-)

Tinklypoo Wed 27-Jul-16 15:59:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2nds Wed 27-Jul-16 16:00:17

Mothercare

Ilikegin Wed 27-Jul-16 16:02:31

Try the Cybex priam with the all terrain tyres, it converts to a two wheeler on the beach so you can pull instead of push, I believe the bugaboo does the same

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now