Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Is there a double buggy that would accommodate a 3/4 year old and a baby?

(35 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Tue 19-Jul-16 09:07:01

I'm trying to problem solve and come up with strategies that might see me and my children get out and about a bit more. I have a 3.5 year old with a possible diagnosis of SN and a 6 month old.

We coped fine before the baby came along however nowadays taking them both out together is only something that can be safely tackled by two people and that's proving really crap for the summer holidays. I cannot trust my 3 year old to be safe. I have reins that I have to use by the roads, but he has a tendency to bolt and also to throw himself to the ground and refuse to cooperate at all, it's so extreme that coupled with the speech delay they are talking about assessments for ASD.

With this in mind I don't think a buggy board will work for us and whilst he will happily undertake a long walk in one direction he often won't then walk back. I do have an Ergo for the 6 month old but if my older child is having a massive tantrum and I'm struggling to deal with him I also can't then have a baby strapped to my front. I've tried it and it's just really dangerous.

So I'm wondering if there is a pushchair that would seat a tall three year old and a six month old? I was looking at Phil and Teds and thinking about just getting one second hand. We have s beautiful nature reserve locally that I could take them both too but I'm hesitant as I think it could just turn to shit in a nanosecond and I'm going to be stranded miles away from the car with no hope of getting them both back. At least if I could strap him in and just walk I could mitigate any disasters.

Thank you

hazeyjane Tue 19-Jul-16 09:12:49

I hated our Phil and Teds (used with dds who were 1 year apart)

But loved our Out and About 360 side by side double (used with 3/4 year old and baby) - managed to get one on ebay for £60 and it was fab.

NeedACleverNN Tue 19-Jul-16 09:13:56

Out n about is fantastic.

My 3 year old still fits in it

megletthesecond Tue 19-Jul-16 09:16:20

Phil and teds. DS was in it until he was 4.5, and he's tall. As long as your careful you can swop them between front and back, once the baby is out of the small baby stage.

Imnotacelebgetmeouttahere Tue 19-Jul-16 09:16:24

I love my Phil and teds verve - I use it to juggle my 4yr old ( SN), 3yr old Bolter and 1.5yr old tantrummer grin

2nds Tue 19-Jul-16 09:16:52

If he doesn't like actual reins would he get along better with a wrist strap? As for buggies I'd definitely recommend going to a shop and sitting him in a few buggies because my 3.5 year old is tall too and is too big for double buggies so she has no choice but to walk everywhere.

hazeyjane Tue 19-Jul-16 09:18:48

I found with the Phil and Teds that the bearings went every 5 bloody minutes, and whoever was in the back started to complain about being squashed in with the shopping (until the day when one pushed their foot through the shopping basket, which then meant we had an extra set of brakes).

My friend had a double Mountain Buggy, also awesome.

SleepFreeZone Tue 19-Jul-16 09:25:51

Oooh this sounds hopeful thank you for the quick replies. Luckily he does tolerate reins but they tend to work best when he isn't tired. Once he gets tired it's like trying to move an angry mule. If DP is with me we can normally carry him between us but I just don't feel strong enough to deal with that alone. Sux months of sleep deprivation has left me an emotional wreck.

Ok, will go and have a look at the other brands mentioned and see what's about second hand.

Spindelina Tue 19-Jul-16 10:27:57

Not what you asked, but would putting the small one on your back (rather than your front) work? It's a lot easier to wrangle things (including other children) that way round.

LotsOfDots Tue 19-Jul-16 10:32:52

Baby jogger city mini double fits tall children, and is more upright than the out and about, but can go flat for the little one. My older one didn't like the out and about because it was too reclined when she was awake, in its most upright position.

Boredomismyenemy Tue 19-Jul-16 10:37:25

Also take a look at the baby jogger city mini double, or the gt double version. These are nice light pushchairs, the seat height is good for an older child and I believe they have a high weight limit than some other models. logistically a side by side pushchair may work better as its easier to get a tantruming child into, than one where potentially he could be riding in the rear seat.

poocatcherchampion Tue 19-Jul-16 10:39:56

In contrast to the poster above I would suggest a tandem as otherwise you will have a weight imblanace on one side.

My 4yo still goes in the oyster max with a sibling. Both seats are fine for her.

babyiwantabump Tue 19-Jul-16 10:41:56

You need to look at weight limits . Most only go to 13kg apart from the bugaboo donkey which is up to 17kg. I have a very tall 2year old (15kg) and so basically had to get the donkey as it's the only one that would be able to carry him weight wise . All others were only up to 13 kg per child.

Hufflepuffin Tue 19-Jul-16 13:57:40

You could also try getting a preschool carrier for your older child, if he would be amenable. Obviously wouldn't work once he's lost the plot but if you are able to spot the warning signs that he's getting over tired then might be an option?

Hufflepuffin Tue 19-Jul-16 13:58:24

(Probably think and out and about nipper is your best bet though! Just throwing in a wild card option!)

SleepFreeZone Tue 19-Jul-16 14:15:05

Oh god I hadn't thought of weight limits. He is bang on 18kg so a big boy 😁 Looks like I'm stuffed then. He is so wreckless with his tantrums that trying to contain him can turn into a wrestling match and I just wouldn't want to do that with a baby strapped to me. We shall just have to stay in and make the most of the garden I think.

Lucked Tue 19-Jul-16 14:18:51

110cm 4 year old can still go in our baby jogger city mini no problem.

Lucked Tue 19-Jul-16 14:20:23

Yes mine is 18 kg. I think you probably invalidate any manufacturers warranty by going over the weight but I have no concerns mine is going to collapse in a heap

TheABC Tue 19-Jul-16 14:31:38

Take a look at the baby trend sit n stand buggy. The second seat converts from a standard buggy seat to a "jump on and ride" option (a sitting stool or standing frame), so you can strap him in or preclude the tantrum with a "big boys rest stop". I bought mine second hand from Ebay for DS who is also a big three year old and a bolter. The best bit for me is that everyone gets a drinks table, so it's fab for ride - along picnics (or a little bribery to get them in the seat).

The downside is that it's a beast to store and you can't really recline the seats without a squished kid, so the baby does need good head control.

KP86 Tue 19-Jul-16 14:45:45

My city mini 4 wheeler (single) has a weight limit of around 30kg, so that'd cover you.

Would also recommend a city mini, HOWEVER, side by side doesn't give you much flexibility to go to a single later if/when older child is more able to walk.

You can always balance out the weight difference by putting shopping etc on one side of the handle instead of across both.

babyiwantabump Tue 19-Jul-16 14:56:12

Yes most have a weight limit of 30kg BUT it is 15 kg max per seat . I have had this issue as my Eldest is going through a growth spurt and I can't find any that will take more than the 17kg per seat !

babyiwantabump Tue 19-Jul-16 14:57:00

Believe me I have emailed all the manufacturers!

AnnaBegins Tue 19-Jul-16 14:59:40

A toddler carrier for him? Like a toddler or preschool Tula? Or baby on your back. If she can sit, she can go on your back. I've never used an ergo so don't know what the recommendations are (though they are well respected carriers and I'd love to try one!) but you can back carry with a connecta from when they are sitting as it's a nice high carrying position.

Artandco Tue 19-Jul-16 15:02:56

Get the original mountain buggy urban off eBay, not the new duet ( the new one it narrower)

Whitelisbon Tue 19-Jul-16 15:04:43

We had a graco tandem at one point, it was a cheapy from argos, but we lugged various kids about over the years in it, including my dd when she broke her leg at almost 7. It eventually got passed onto someone else, after we'd abused it for years, and fell apart a couple of years later.
It was fantastic, I think the recommended maximum weight is 15kg per seat like most, but I never worried about that tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now