Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Inline double which will fit a leggy 3.5 or 4 year old?

(22 Posts)
minipie Tue 03-May-16 11:59:53

We have DD1 3.5 and DD2 13 months.

DD1 has some mobility problems (very mild CP) and gets tired easily when walking, so needs the option to go in a buggy. She also still needs to nap sometimes and naps best in the buggy.

At the moment we have a Phil and Teds Navigator and she goes in the front. She fits in the seat but her legs are a bit long for it - if she is asleep her feet will hang down and rub against the front wheel. She is tall ish (75th centile) and has disproportionately long legs!

I was hoping she would stop needing the buggy before she outgrew the P&T but I don't think that's going to happen. I can see that within a few months she will be too big and I think she will still need it come September.

Are there any inline doubles which have more leg space for the older child? And ideally a slight recline? Realise this is a pretty niche request...

Artandco Tue 10-May-16 14:21:36

I think you would be better off with a Side by side double as generally allow for longer legs. The baby jogger gt maybe

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Tue 10-May-16 14:24:36

I have an abc design zoom. It's massive but quite easy to steer. My dd is almost 4 (autism) and fits in it perfectly

minipie Tue 10-May-16 14:29:06

Thanks Art. I know we would be better with a side by side in terms of leg length. Thing is that DD1 is in nursery half the day - so it's just used for one child then - and often DD1 can walk or scoot - so again just one child. So really the second seat only gets used on the nursery run home (when she is always tired and sometimes naps) and the occasional other long walk.

I also feel a bit anti side by sides because it is much better for her to walk when she feels up to it and I don't really want the second seat sitting there invitingly iyswim? Though I suppose that's equally true of the phil and teds. I guess the ideal would be something where the second seat is tucked away but (somehow) still has lots of leg room... sounds impossible doesn't it!

Hmm... Is there an inline double where the second seat is high up, behind the front seat? and therefore has lots of leg room? Sure I have seen that configuration but can't remember where!

minipie Tue 10-May-16 14:31:17

Cross posted with YouCant. ABC design zoom looks like the kind of configuration I was thinking of, thanks! Does your DD go in the front or back seat generally?

minipie Tue 10-May-16 14:47:36

Ooh just found the Uppababy Vista with rumble seat (new version) which also has that configuration.

Any others?

Artandco Tue 10-May-16 14:50:12

What about the mountain buggy +one? Turns into single when not needed

KP86 Tue 10-May-16 14:53:36

Baby Jogger City Select but it's big and heavy before you put two kids in it! You can face the seats inwards or have it as stadium seating with one above the other.

One of the Uppa Baby prams looks good too, just from what I've seen around the streets. Don't know which one it is.

minipie Tue 10-May-16 15:08:00

I remember seeing the Baby Jogger in store and thinking how enormous it was! Can't really face something that huge tbh (I started with a Bee so even the P&T felt big at first)

Mountain Buggy +1 looks interesting, thank you I will investigate further

MelT1980 Tue 10-May-16 21:09:28

My iCandy Peach has the option to extend the seat by unzipping the hood at the back, it then raises up so my darling son's beautiful head doesn't bump against the fabric at the top! Have you looked into this one yet?

TeaPleaseBob Thu 12-May-16 09:28:33

The micralite two fold has built in buggy board and second seat. Not sure how big second seat is but there's photos online

minipie Thu 12-May-16 11:51:38

Thanks - Mel I looked at the Peach but with my DD it's not so much her head bumping the hood but more her legs dangling over the footrest and I think that would be the same... Also the Peach has the same set up as the P&T with the younger child behind, whereas I quite like the idea of DD1 being behind and DD2 being in front as that means DD2 can see more (She is getting a bit bored in the back of the P&T) and also might encourage DD1 to walk more (as her seat is hidden away iyswim)

trying to justify new buggy

Had a quick look at micralite twofold but it's 15kgs max in both seats and DD1 is over that already.

museumum Thu 12-May-16 11:53:51

Have you thought about a single and putting the 13mo old on your back in a carrier when dd needs the buggy?

Artandco Thu 12-May-16 11:59:39

You say you have a bugaboo bee also? I would be tempted to get the bugaboo buggy board with seat. So she can sit and rest when needed and walk inbetween. And then use a sling on back for 13 month old for when eldest needs to nap. Especially as younger will be walking soon also so by the summer they could both take turns using pram, with the sling for one on back if both needed

We had a boba 4g. Suitable birth to 4+ years. Folds tiny so could just throw under pram. Could use for either child

Artandco Thu 12-May-16 12:01:17

This board
www.naturalbabyshower.co.uk/products/bugaboo-comfort-wheeled-board?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=12581206275&gclid=Cj0KEQjw09C5BRDy972s6q2y4egBEiQA5_guv7NGCTGImK-MXib2HbcJ6XSAuvCGxRAhBmAWWyFwEk0aAt938P8HAQ

minipie Thu 12-May-16 12:12:45

Thanks Art. We have a buggy board (without the seat) and she's fine on it -- doesn't need to sit down - but the real issue is napping, which happens most days on the way back from nursery.

I know she could nap in the Bee if I sling the little one but in all honesty I can't face having a 91st centile toddler on my back whilst pushing 3.5 year old... even with the most comfy sling (we have a Beco Gemini which is great but it's still carrying a large weight!) Also I work 4 days a week so need an arrangement that our nanny is ok with too.

Do you push one child whilst carrying the other? Hats off to you if so!

Our little one is already walking very well ... at this rate she will be out of a buggy before her sister hmm

So far I think the best option is the Uppababy Vista 2015. But it's a lot of money just to get some extra leg room for DD1 and better visibility for DD2, and too new to have many second hand around. Wish I'd got it instead of the P&T but we didn't know about DD1's condition then so thought she'd be out of the buggy by now...

Or maybe the mountain buggy +1 but looks like 1) legroom at the back is limited by fabric? and 2) you can't recline front if there is a child in the back. Whereas the Vista you can have both reclined at the same time - which would be very handy for when DD2 drops her morning nap and is also probably sleeping on the nursery run...

<ponders>

<imagines DH reaction to buying another buggy>

Artandco Thu 12-May-16 12:58:08

Hmm I think I would be tempted to just get a cheap second hand nipper double tbh. You can use it for 6-12 months, and by then review the situation. Yes it's side by side but can always use other side for shopping the next few months if she's walking.

Yep we just used sling and single. We live in flat in London, so any double would have been nightmare tbh. Mine are smaller gap so both were fine to carry.

As an aside, my 5 year old still likes to nap. But we obviously have no pram now. He has learnt to walk back and nap at home, or can nap outside on blanket/ on my lap in cafe or on bus etc, wherever suits. He wouldn't really fit in any pram now as very tall

NapQueen Thu 12-May-16 13:00:53

Would the 13mo go onto the buggy board seat for the nursery home run?

Artandco Thu 12-May-16 13:03:12

Have you seen the twin bebecar?

Artandco Thu 12-May-16 13:06:57

It's called bebecar one and two. Converts to a single, both seats can face parent or or so could have either way. Not cheap though

minipie Thu 12-May-16 13:18:02

Will have a look thanks Art. We have plenty of hallway space so big buggy not an issue. Yes I suppose a double nipper or mountain buggy second hand, and then resell, would be the most cost effective option. Just can't get as excited about it as the vista grin

If only DD would nap anywhere. Unfortunately she is and always has been a major sleep resister - this has actually been the biggest issue we have had with her, the CP is nothing compared with the fact she doesn't sleep enough! Hence the buggy naps.

NapQueen eek no, at the moment her favourite game is running away! Also she's too short to hold the handlebar Could be an option when she's a bit older but suspect still wouldn't be compliant enough. Also once she's a bit older I think she may need to nap on the way home from nursery as well - haven't yet seen if she can nap in the p&t doubles seat, if not then that would be another tick in favour of a side by side or the Vista.

1busybee Sat 14-May-16 17:35:36

Have a look at the buggypod website, I found it very useful! Handy seat but folded away when not needed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now