Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Rear facing with genuine one hand fold?

(15 Posts)
Zaurak Thu 10-Mar-16 18:27:49

Does it exist? I mean a genuine one hand fold n pick up, like a baby jogger city mini.

Would also help if it was reasonably light and easy to carry but strong and not something with tiny wheels...

moggle Thu 10-Mar-16 22:08:50

I think the baby jogger versa is supposed to technically be a one hand fold but it does have two steps. Thing is that with a rear facer, the seat is separate to the frame so at a minimum you have to fold the seat down and then collapse the frame.

Hufflepuffin Fri 11-Mar-16 09:43:18

Versa is one handed two step and you can lug it around by the folding handle but it's very heavy. I think they just announced the metro version, which will be lighter.

Zaurak Fri 11-Mar-16 10:40:30

Yeah versa is great but very heavy.
I'm not too fussed about a two step fold - by one handed I just mean 'doable with a wriggly baby in the other.'

Basically something you could remove baby, hold baby, fold/lift/carry without putting baby down. Like a baby jogger cm but rear facing.

And unfold one handed too! Something that I can lift out of the car one handed and put up one handed.

moggle Fri 11-Mar-16 11:07:04

Unfold one handed?! Wait I've got a moon on a stick you can have too ;-) you can't even unfold the city mini one handed.
At least with unfolding you can just leave baby in the car / in the house while you unfold it two handed.

I reckon there is a market out there for a rear facing only pushchair/stroller. Then I reckon you could get it so much lighter and probably a one handed fold too. I think that so much of the faff comes from having to have it rear and forward facing. Any designers out ther want to have a go?!

Zaurak Fri 11-Mar-16 11:25:13

I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I wrestled the buggy out of the boot and tried and failed to unfold the chuffing thing... They're so heavy and unwieldy. Whhhyyyyyy?!?

We can detect gravity waves and put humans in space. Surely a buggy that you can unfold one handed isn't beyond the wit of man ?

Rockchick1984 Thu 17-Mar-16 07:20:15

Can't you just leave baby in the car while you unfold the buggy? Then you only need the fold to be one handed!

Whattodowithaminute Thu 17-Mar-16 07:23:27

Babyzen yoyo?

BikeRunSki Thu 17-Mar-16 07:45:01

BJCM with baby in a Phil and Ted's Cocoon (fits perfectly on BJCM) worked very well for 6 months or so.

Zaurak Thu 17-Mar-16 12:13:02

Yoyo isn't rear facing, alas. And I tried it the other day - it's not really a one hand fold.
I can when I'm using the car but my problem is this: I live where there's only one bus. A random half of these buses have low floors and the other half have massive steps. You never know what you're going to get. The way the steps / kerb are makes it impossible to bump a buggy up them. So I need something that's easily, quickly foldable one handed at the bus stop for the shit buses. Whilst holding the baby.
Bjcm are fabulous, but not rear facing.

Hufflepuffin Thu 17-Mar-16 12:44:24

Baby jogger vue might fit the bill? I've never seen one in the flesh though!

Whattodowithaminute Thu 17-Mar-16 13:01:52

How old is baby?

BettyBi0 Thu 17-Mar-16 13:19:37

I've got both the Yoyo and the BJCM. Although the BJ has got the one hand quick fold, I've NEVER been able to unfold it one handed despite loads of practice. It's also quite long which is a pain in London buses and tube escalators. The Yoyo however has been ace and although it is ££ and only forward facing, it's been my best baby/toddler purchase EVER. The only 2 handed bit of the fold is pressing the 2 side buttons to fold down the handle but I always do this with DD still strapped in. The unfold is super quick and definitely one handed. It's also sooooooo much tinier and lighter when folded so you can literally pop in over your shoulder like a handbag. This has been essential for me as I'm dependent on London transport and crowded buses all the time. It's only forward facing but most toddlers far prefer this.

I just wish it was available in a rear facing option for that 6-12 months stage when the extra face to face communication and reassurance would be lovely.

I saw someone with a Vue (?) stroller the other day which was light weight and parent facing. Looked like a weird umbrella fold type stroller. I don't know anything about it but maybe worth looking at. The one I saw had a 2/3 year old in it still parent facing and it seemed a bit weird tbh.

BettyBi0 Thu 17-Mar-16 13:35:15

Ooooh I just had a quick google and saw the oyster switch. Looks like you can umbrella fold with it still parent facing. Does anyone have this?

Zaurak Fri 18-Mar-16 10:22:59

Babs is 5.5 months. Small for his age, loves rear facing.
What's the armadillo flip like? Is it genuinely one hand fold and pick up?

I should quit my job and design pushchairs... I'd make a fortune...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now