Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggy for nyc

(13 Posts)
GoMommaItsaBargain Mon 16-Nov-15 14:54:28

We are going to nyc fairly soon. DC will be 7, 5 (just) and 23 months) - we did Euro Disney a while ago and I wished I'd had a seat for the Middle dc rather than a wheeled bOard, obvs lots walking in Disney and long days out, I've been to nyc before (alone:-) ) but envisage lots walking with the dc for this visit upcoming. Was thinking a babyzen yo yo for flights and city if the older two walking (obvs the seven yr old fine) thinking could sell the yo yo after quite easily or keep for in car quick trips etc. or should I get something sturdier that can take a wheeled board for the Middle dc, eg MacLaren (less use in airport than yo yo for toddler as would have to check in...) or a cheap double of ebay, eg bjcm and then any of dc can hitch a ride if tired/jet lagged/overwhelmed etc - worried be too wide though ? ....... Anyone any experience of this kind of trip with similar age dc....want right kit to make most of time there xx

EldonAve Mon 16-Nov-15 21:29:29

You don't have to check your buggy in until you reach the gate so a maclaren would be fine

I have done NY with a double maclaren and it wasn't great
Narrow doorways, lack of lifts, lack of autoopening doors on loos, lack of disabled loos/changing facilities that I could get the buggy into

Hufflepuffin Mon 16-Nov-15 21:40:04

Do you need it to recline for naps? I'd get something like a maclaren volo (with the shoulder strap). Yoyo would probably be amazing but soooo expensive for a 2.5year old. I guess if you can get one second hand at a price where you could definitely resell.

GoMommaItsaBargain Mon 16-Nov-15 22:30:59

Thanks peeps, last time we flew the baby was asleep at check in and it was hard work juggling him once in departures, lots walking in big airport etc etc. hence was thinking yoyo, he will only be just two as we travel so the expense not too much an issue, def need recline for naps, interesting re the double maclaren being bit big, wondered about that and lifts etc, prob better to have wheeled board, just checked and the lascal mini fits the yo yo or any Maclaren single..... Could be good option then, I like the Volos, saw them in shop today but def need better recline option. Thankyou so far! Will look again at maybe quest and xt and compare to yoyo!

Hufflepuffin Mon 16-Nov-15 23:16:49

Sorry I misread the ages in your post! Sounds like the yoyo would be perfect.

GoMommaItsaBargain Mon 16-Nov-15 23:41:29

Sounds like would be ideal agree hufflepuffin but will still see what's avail on ebay before I buy new as not cheap I guess...... seems to have v good reviews tho- like the compactness of it- even for day to day non holiday usage ......will prob end up with a maclaren or the yo yo - the side by sid3 double option could be a hindrance wondering about a phil n teds also- seat options then and narrow buggy- but seems a nightmare to travel with as two parts when folded to check in -any thoughts ? I have one so could just buy travel bag..... seems bit bulky tho vs a stroller for city holiday.

Hufflepuffin Tue 17-Nov-15 13:14:09

I think it depends what you want to do in New York! I'd take a double to paris for example as when we are there we love to walk everywhere but the idea of anything bigger than a maclaren/yoyo would really stress me out if I wanted to go lots of busy places and up and down at subways etc.

snowman1 Tue 17-Nov-15 13:29:13

Hi, I live in Toronto with a 2 and 5 year old. I know it's hard to predict but are you going when there might be snow? I was there end of Feb last year, I don't think I would have got a cheap side-by side McClaren around anywhere in the slush and the traffic as you know is unforgiving if you are slow.
I am just thinking, how good a walker are your older kids? I would almost ditch the buggy altogether and get a warm comfy back pack. This will mean you can do all the stairs on public transport and if you are on the boats too, it makes like easier. Again, it depends on what you want to do - I would definitely keep 50 bucks in your pocket for the time when it's -10, the kids are freezing and refuse to move buggy or no!

Cymraesfach Tue 17-Nov-15 13:35:05

I can't imagine my 5 yr old in a buggy or on a buggy board - do you really think you'll need one?

SweetAdeline Tue 17-Nov-15 13:36:50

Does the bjcm single fit a buggy board? I expect if you bought one secondhand you could probably sell on for the same amount again when you got back. I've got a P+T double and have flown with it but they're pretty unwieldy especially with older children in.
Tbh I think any pushchair/buggyboard combination will be hard to push with a 5yr old on the back so it's worth getting one the 5yr can fit in the seat if exhausted.

GoMommaItsaBargain Tue 17-Nov-15 13:50:13

Good.points re.subways stairs etc- the yo yo would be so easy to fold and carry or tuck under table etc as hubby can carry toddler at those times- then wouldn't need lifts etc- just escalators and stairs quicker.... Obvs the 5 yr old.is a super walkers and wouldn't be any where buggy or wheeled board daily.life.just I know. If we went to disney again now for eg.she would.def benefit.frm sit down as.its.such long days sightseeing - however plenty space at disney for bigger buggy but obvs I know in city v different - also I guess walking interspersed with sit down on subway etc - I guess she could.pop in yo yo seat if desperate for five mins recoup! She is only just 5 and still not massive- compared to older sister 7 and a half.she still seems tiny! Not had that big growth spurt yet- we are going end March so hope.no snow by then! Never know I guess but will be toddler back pack.for hubby in that case! V exciting ! Leaning def toward yoyo- thanks so much for advice- hadn't. Really thought about in and out subway- wil be easy peasy with a fold up buggy like.that with shoulder strap- ....

GoMommaItsaBargain Tue 17-Nov-15 13:53:43

Oh yes thanks sweetadeline the p and t is heavy enough to start with isn't it without two big kids on board! Prob not worth the hassle vs a little buggy with a little seat for whichever of the youngest is tired out. Little buggy would be much easier when it's busy.

Hufflepuffin Wed 18-Nov-15 19:22:08

I didn't recommend the baby jogger zip earlier as it's heavier than the yoyo but folds very very small and would be good for older children (I think there's a pic of a five year old in it on the best buggy website). A bit cheaper and much sturdier than the yoyo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now