Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Bugaboo Bee or similar - parent-facing/light/small

(10 Posts)
Mammacino Tue 03-Nov-15 22:55:50

Hi - first-timer (as a mum and a poster on mumsnet) here.

I've looked through the archives and seen similarish questions posed, but a lot of the answers are a few years old and I'd really value your up-to-date opinions.

We have a 2014 Uppababy Vista, which we've had since birth and love. However, we've recently moved to London and where the Vista was perfect for the masses of walking I did before, I'm struggling with it and about town - too heavy to lift up stairs/onto buses (which ALWAYS pull in miles from the pavement around here) and too wide/long to fit comfortably in the buggy space unless I'm the only one using it. I've been lusting after a (second-hand) Bugaboo Bee but have started to read a few things that suggest I maybe should be worried about quality (and they are still really expensive). This is my want-list - is there anything else you'd recommend I consider?

** Must recline a good way/flat as LO takes his naps in the buggy all the time
** Preferably with parent-facing mode as he's been used to facing me since birth!
** Don't want an umbrella-fold - please don't suggest MacClaren etc. I'm sort of vaguely considering a cheapo umbrella-fold for trips to swimming pool etc (where I'd have to leave it outside) but this would be more for every day and I don't want an umbrella-fold for that
** Must have reasonable height/weight limits - LO is fifteen months and on the 98th centile. Don't know how much he weighs right now but it's 30+ pounds I'm sure. Neither height nor weight are a problem in the Vista.
** Have a small footprint/be fairly light, as that's the only reason to get something other than the Vista!

To be clear: we'll be keeping the Vista, so this would be more of a second pram.

Thanks so much!

BananaPie Wed 04-Nov-15 00:41:46

The bee would meet all of your criteria. There's a reason so many people have them in London. It's expensive for a "second pram" though!

Hufflepuffin Wed 04-Nov-15 08:55:18

You could look at the baby jogger vue? It's umbrella fold but parent facing so could do as your second buggy (so you don't need three!). Or one of the quinny zapp's is parent facing. I have a big buggy that faces both ways and a small one that only faces out and my DS is happy in either now he's over one. My friend's daughter is actually happier facing out.

annaB1981 Wed 04-Nov-15 20:30:19

Hi - I got the iCandy Raspberry for the same reasons, lies flat from birth but the really bonus is the weight limit which is 25kg - when I did my research all the others were only 15kg, and my DS is big for his age...basically it's a Bee but better!

Becky2208 Wed 04-Nov-15 20:33:25

We have recently bought a Baby Jogger City lite - DS is 16 months and also on the 98th percentile, and he has a lot of room in it.

We have a bugaboo buffalo, which I love, but it's very heavy, so I wanted something smaller and lighter for in and out of the car and in town. So far I've really liked the baby jogger - although DS has been used to facing me, he's enjoyed being forward facing, and due to the position of the seat I can see him easily and he turns around to see me.

It reclines to practically flat, and the fold is really easy - push a button and then pull a handle in the seat and it folds in half.

The weight limit in the UK is only 15kg, which concerned me, but they test to higher limits in the US where it's been approved to 18 kg I think, so I wasn't too worried.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the harness - it's a bit fiddly, but I can live with it.

I think the baby jogger city mini, which is similar but a bit more expensive, would also be worth a look.

My DM has a Mamas & Papas Armadillo Flip which she uses when looking after DS, which is also relatively small and light, and that can be parent facing, but is more expensive again. I like it, and my DM finds it really good, but I find the handle a little too low.

Mammacino Wed 04-Nov-15 21:59:21

oh thanks for these ideas - sorry for slow reply, have been on the go all day!

Have never heard of the baby jogger vue, that sounds interesting, will look into it.

If I got a Bee, I definitely only buy second-hand - which, i know, still expensive, but about similar to a new city mini? I've heard really good things about that one...I guess I still feel wedded to the idea of him parent-facing, but maybe like some of you have said, he would quite welcome the change. I've looked at the Flip a few times but it's expensive new and I'm not sure if I'd buy one second-hand, unlike the Bee? Also, I'm tall so maybe too low, after the comment about the handlebar...

The weight limit issue really worries me - my DS has got to be maybe 13/14kg already (I haven't had him weighed for ages). AnnaB, is the Cherry heavy?

MaisieDotes Wed 04-Nov-15 22:02:35

I have an iCandy Raspberry too and it does all the things you want, as anna says.

Although I thought the weight limit was 15kg! Are you sure it's 25kg anna ? DS is 13kg already and I was getting a bit worried about that!

MaisieDotes Wed 04-Nov-15 22:08:26

I've just googled and it is 25kg blush

Glad I clicked on this thread!

thenewbroom Thu 05-Nov-15 23:39:22

I'm really happy with my Bee. I had a Bugaboo Cam for DC1 and 2 and switched to a Bee for DC3 because I drive a lot more and get buses sometimes too. Am happy with it.

Ilovecrumpets Fri 06-Nov-15 18:37:01

I live in London and am onto my second child now - I just got an Easywalker mosey to replace my various blush pushchairs. I think it is a brilliant buggy - parent facing, light, narrow and fab on buses and folds neatly too. It's by far the bet buggy I've had for London - downside is it's really hard to look at in the flesh so to speak. Take a look at the review on best buggy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now