Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

spring /summer baby- carrycot waste of time?

(11 Posts)
Autumn2014 Mon 02-Nov-15 12:38:09

I always thought that if I had a winter baby then a carrycot would be a useful item to help protect a tiny baby from the elements, nut now I'm due late spring and will have a newborn over the summer months I'm wondering if it is still needed?

tinymeteor Mon 02-Nov-15 12:40:55

The main thing is that the baby can lie flat for at least the first couple of months. So if no carry cot, look for a pushchair that adjusts to a flat position. Or you can look for second hand carry cots on eBay to keep costs down. They're often in good condition as they aren't used for long.

Autumn2014 Mon 02-Nov-15 12:45:16

Oh yes,.I'm going to get a lie flat pushchair. I just didn't know if the carrycot as an optional extra was worth it. Do you need to buy a new mattress if you get the carrycot second hand?

tinymeteor Mon 02-Nov-15 12:49:55

Don't have to, but they only cost about a tenner so personally I would get one to freshen it up.

comeagainforbigfudge Mon 02-Nov-15 12:55:27

I never bothered with one for same reason. Got the armadillo flip XT. Lies flat and faces both ways.

GlitteryFluff Mon 02-Nov-15 12:59:54

I had a summer baby and didn't get a carrycot, just made sure I had a lie flat one.

Eminybob Mon 02-Nov-15 13:04:13

I had a summer baby and did get a carrycot but tbh it was a bit of a waste of money. I did use it but only to try and get some use out of it but I could have just used the pushchair and car seat attachments.

Jelly101 Mon 02-Nov-15 13:51:42

I bought one with our pushchair which was about £100 extra. I used it about 3 times, as DS hated it. He would scream every time we put him in. Luckily, our pushchair came with a newborn liner, which is like a foam support. So we were able to put him in the pushchair from birth.

ErrinPerrin Mon 02-Nov-15 13:57:48

I had a summer baby and used the carry cot all the time and liked having it. It depends if you do a lot of walking from home rather than using the car I think. The one I had was safe for overnight sleeping and I found that really handy for going away.

dementedpixie Mon 02-Nov-15 14:02:51

I used the carrycot bit for daytime sleeps rather than a moses basket. They then had a crib upstairs for night sleeping

Notso Mon 02-Nov-15 16:33:16

I used carrycots for my winter and summer babies. I didn't think the pushchair seat was very comfortable for a newborn. They seemed to roll around a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now