Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

compact narrow pram/travel system for Mum with joint trouble

(15 Posts)
blueobsessive Sun 16-Aug-15 19:18:29

Hello. This is my first MN post. Expecting DC1 and looking at prams/ travel solutions to solve the following:
- We live in a city flat with a v narrow front door (65cm).
- we drive a Nissan micra so space in the boot is limited and larger car seats will not fit in.
- I have rheumatoid arthritis and joint hypermobility syndrome which are aggravated by vibration and straining, especially left / right flexing.
- I have so far tried, without success, friends' / family' bugaboo bee (impossible on joints due to sideways flex), Graco (even worse as heavier and wider), and icandy (similar problem to Graco).

I wonder if one with 3 large wheels (with real air in them rather than solid rubber) might be the way to go (if people can jog with them they must not judder loads)? However, do any of these come in a sufficiently narrow version/ which could fit in a Nissan micra?

Are these all heavy?

Should I just admit defeat and aim for a sling, and look at a narrow small wheeled solution for DH to manoeuvre?

We seem to be looking for the moon on a stick, MumsNetters, please help.

Dina1234 Sun 16-Aug-15 23:06:27

I would really recommend silvercross. We switched from bugaboo to silvercross and it is way way better. We have a pioneer(?) i think. it's reasonable compact for a travel system and folds really easily and is great to manoeuvre. Perhaps a bit heavy for you? You will need to bend down to pick it up once you have folded it but that's about it. Not too much effort required.

JellyTipisthebest Mon 17-Aug-15 00:48:38

I have arthritis, I would say look at easy to push as you spend more time pushing it that lifting it in and out of the car. Big wheels are easier to push. You could look at the out and about nippers as they have big wheel you can also buy lighter non air wheels that you could buy to make it lighter. The baby jogger gts might also be worth a look. I dont live in the uk, I have a pushchair like the britax b duel but with air tires, I am about to get a montain buggy nano for the quick trips in playgroup,music group ect. Little one can now walk but I can't carry her so need something that she an hop in if we are running late or if she is not wanting to walk.

3boys3dogshelp Mon 17-Aug-15 01:11:22

This might be a bit of an odd suggestion but what about a Bebe confort (maxi cosi) Loola? The old model not the new one...it is not the perfect buggy but It has 2 separate handlebars like an umbrella fold buggy (which I imagine you will find more comfortable than one solid one) while still being a travel system, it folds down small enough for your boot, the maxi cosi cabriofix can go on it with adaptor a which is about as neat as baby car seats come, the seat lies flat for a baby if you can't manage to lift the pram top.
Comfort when Pushing is really important but some of the large wheeled travel systems are really heavy and cumbersome to lift and if they are heavy when you push them on a sloping pavement they can really drag sideways and hurt your wrists - I don't have arthritis but struggled with hormonal joint laxity and pain after ds2 and really noticed this.
I had a Loola up (solid handled version) for ds1 and loved it although they got mixed reviews.

blueobsessive Mon 17-Aug-15 11:34:21

Thank you guys - this is really helpful. I'm fit (but of a swimming nut) so weight is less of a problem than how it is balanced/ how it handles when pushing/ folding/ wrestling with London busses. I can push a pretty heavy bicycle, but not a supermarket trolley. Will definitely check out these suggestions.

JellyTipisthebest Thu 20-Aug-15 07:29:54

I just got a mountain buggy nano for a stay in the car for quick trips into groups ect, I am a childminder but not in the uk. Not used it with a child yet put it seams ok to push my carseat will go on it next time I have a small baby (britax babysafe)

Avebury Fri 21-Aug-15 17:01:09

Look at the micralites. So easy to push and I think the wheels pop off if space in the boot is an issue.

Avebury Fri 21-Aug-15 17:01:44

Look at the micralites. So easy to push and I think the wheels pop off if space in the boot is an issue.

NotCitrus Fri 21-Aug-15 17:24:21

Are you able to lift a car seat with baby in it? If not, or if it's ill-advised, don't bother with a travel system and get a light buggy that goes flat (I recommend Maclaren over Silver Cross for this), and leave the car seat in the car. You can get muffs and grobags that can be strapped into a car seat if waking up becomes a problem, but they tend to go back to sleep as soon as in another cosy place.

RandomMess Fri 21-Aug-15 17:29:06

Bugaboo frog or cameleon. Tried everything else was the only thing that didn't cause pain!

comeagainforbigfudge Fri 21-Aug-15 17:44:28

Armadillo flip XT. Lies flat. That plus car seat is all I've needed. Didn't see point of travel system but I also had a feeling that my DD was going to be long. And she is, out of her moses basket really quickly!!

Anyway, flip is really compact (small car but fits easily into boot with some room to spare), can put it up/down one handed, really easy to manoeuvre. I've had some problems with sore wrists/MS relapse but can still sort pram out.

Oh and it's quite slim. Can't get onto mamas and papas website to check though

I do find rain cover fiddly but that's more to do with my dexterity from MS relapse I think.

Good luck in your hunt grin

blueobsessive Tue 01-Sep-15 12:43:29

Thank you for all of your very helpful tips. I am sorry for the radio silence. Last week I PPROM'ed, started to become septic and started labour. I delivered our beautiful DD who died in our arms. I will save all of your comments in case there happens to be a next time.

comeagainforbigfudge Tue 01-Sep-15 16:04:35

Oh blue how awful. I can only imagine how you must feel. flowers look after yourself.

Hufflepuffin Tue 01-Sep-15 20:48:34

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you.

RandomMess Tue 01-Sep-15 21:01:28

So sorry for the loss of your little girl, hugs & flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now