Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Phil and Ted Double Buggy suitable for 5 yo and 2yo?

(23 Posts)
flashbunny73 Tue 07-Jul-15 23:24:59

We are planning a city break for 4 days with our 5 yo and our 2 yo. We have 2 Maclaren pushchairs. We were thinking of taking them both on holiday so we can wander around without our 5 yo getting too tired (she is a pretty good walker, but not all day long..). But then I thought how about buying a P&T double buggy off ebay and sticking them both in that? Both children are average heights for their age. Has anyone tried this and how did it go? This would mean we only need 1 pushchair rather than 2!
Many thanks.

flashbunny73 Tue 07-Jul-15 23:26:16

Ps we are going to Holland so very flat ie pushing a heavy double buggy up an incline shouldnt be too bad but there will be alot of cobbles!

BoysiesBack Tue 07-Jul-15 23:28:40

I wouldn't.

Not sure which model you're looking at my DS grew out of the P&t we had by 18 months, they're not very big. We don't have it anymore but I doubt my now 4 year old would fit in the bigger seat anymore either.

DancingDinosaur Tue 07-Jul-15 23:31:24

You won't get long out of it at all. I have a 5 year old and really he would be too big for the front seat. (I still have the old Phil and Teds although its redundant now). I couldn't imagine him agreeing to sit in it either. If dd is a good walker would it not be easier to just take lots of cafe sit down breaks?

Mumoftwoyoungkids Tue 07-Jul-15 23:31:50

Conveniently I have a 5 y.o, a 2 y.o and a Phil and Ted's so can answer this quite well!

The big problem is the back seat. Ds (2) is very unimpressed at being so squashed. Just about ok if nothing in the bottom (so he can stretch his legs out) but basically he can't fit anymore. And definitely can't nap as his head is too tall for it to recline.

Dd (5) will still fit happily in the front.

flashbunny73 Wed 08-Jul-15 10:37:28

Hi there. it would only really be for this one holiday as I appreciate the kids wont fit in it for long. Our daughter is happy to go in a pushchair when tired. But thanks for the point re the squashed 2 year old at the back. I think we will need to 'try before we buy'.

slippermaiden Wed 08-Jul-15 10:43:17

I loved my Phil and teds for my twins. Front seat will easily be big enough for a 5 year old. So easy to push too compared to a MacLaine. Enjoy your tripsmile

slippermaiden Wed 08-Jul-15 10:45:20

I disagree with the above posters! (Sorry folks) my lanky but skinny twins easily fitted in the back seat til they out grew the buggy. Seat was much bigger than some trendy buggies you get now.

Artandco Wed 08-Jul-15 10:45:51

Won't it be easier to just hire bikes in Holland? Adult ones with baby seat for youngest and kids seat older. Or can hire a bike with storage box thing in front the sit in

slippermaiden Wed 08-Jul-15 10:46:45

By out growing the buggy I mean they scooted or walked rather than sat in the buggy!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 08-Jul-15 10:52:14

My friend has one and her 4 year old and 2 year old are far too big for the seats.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 08-Jul-15 10:52:36

And they're a small 4 and 2!

MissWimpyDimple Wed 08-Jul-15 10:57:57

When mine was 5 she fitted in the front seat easily! In fact at 4 she sat in the back quite happily too.

As your 2 yo would only be in the back when the other one needed a ride I think it would be fine.

The kids I took out fought over getting to sit in the back as it was a novelty. I'm not sure they could nap in the back though!

PosterEh Wed 08-Jul-15 11:01:00

I think there must be different models - the front seat on a phil and teds sport is huge! I'd say it's one of the few pushchairs that a 5yr old could sit comfortably in. But it'll be an arse to push around.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Wed 08-Jul-15 11:01:03

My 10 yo 5 foot dd manages to sneak a ride in the P&T so all these 4/5 yos must be huge! shock

DeathMetalMum Wed 08-Jul-15 11:07:01

Does your 2 year old walk at all? We've always allowed eldest dd to hop in the pushchair any time youngest is toddling around when we go anywhere we will be walking lots, dd's are 2.4 and 4.5 but we have been doing that for a while now. There is no way our two year old would spend the whole day sat in the pushchair anyway. Could you just do that saves an extra pushchair.

Superexcited Wed 08-Jul-15 11:11:27

What about getting a buggy board with the seat bit on for the 5 year old and only taking one buggy?

Donthate Wed 08-Jul-15 11:13:37

Maybe take a scooter?

flashbunny73 Wed 08-Jul-15 11:13:59

Our children are not particularly giant and only 'just' 2 and 5. The 5 year old is a good walker but will get fed up after a while and the 2 year old would love to walk all day but the speed and direction would be hell (he doesnt 'do' reigns). I also thought ;-) if we had pushchair capacity for them both we could go out in the evening and have a drink and wander rather than having to sit in the hotel room in the dark from 7.30pm onwards! And they could snooze if they wanted. Also our MacLarens have quite small rigid wheels and much of Amsterdam will have cobbles so pneumatic tyres might be more comfy?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 09-Jul-15 14:47:28

Pram hire locally might be one option but I think your idea of a P&T would work. It's quite bulky with the second seat though and would have to go in the hold [poss with tyres deflated but that might be just bikes] so the 2yo would have to schlep around Schipol on foot.

DD lanky 2.5 has been sharing an old P&T that our childminder bought second hand for £50. Provided you put nothing in the rear seat except the child it's fine. Not v comfy for sleeping though and you will need a backpack for carrying all the stuff you would usually throw under the pram.

I'd be more inclined to take what you have at present and plan your days so that you get closer to the hotel as the day goes on. It gives you more flexibility to have them nap when out and about in the evenings.

Hiring a cargo bike to go further afield is a great idea too. Fab way to see The Netherlands

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 09-Jul-15 14:48:11

Sidewalks in Amsterdam at least are not cobbled according to the pram hire website that I saw.

Mrsfrumble Thu 09-Jul-15 14:58:28

My 4 yo fits in both seats of our Phil & Ted's Navigator. He's a bit squashed in the bottom seat but can squeeze in for short distances, and perfectly comfortable in the main seat. He's average height and weight for his age. 2 yo DD has plenty of room in the bottom seat but she is petite.

I have those "happy mummy" bag hooks that attach with a Velcro strap on the handle bar for bags.

PosterEh Sat 11-Jul-15 10:33:41

I've taken a Phil and Teds double (sport) to the gate before so won't necessarily have to go in the hold. In fact saw someone get one back at the gate on a Ryanair flight recently. I used a travel bag for ours but she seemed to just leave the two bits at the bottom of the stairs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now