Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Best way to sell a pushchair (safely)?

(16 Posts)
TwitchyTail2 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:57:19

I used to post here a lot with daft questions (as TwitchyTail), and you lovely people gave me sage advice and helped me to buy a Bugaboo Bee Plus, which has served me well. I am unreasonably fond of it but DS has been walking confidently for a year and I can't remember the last time we used it. I've finally cleaned it up and would like to sell it.

I put it on Gumtree yesterday and have had a good few messages, but it's all a bit more complicated that I thought it would be. We had two people come to view it this evening and something did not feel right - they didn't seem particularly interested in the pram but did have a good look around and now know when we are not at home, which worries me... I am wary of arranging more meetings at home with strangers now.

Is there a safer way to do it? Better places to advertise? Should I meet them in a public place?

I've put an ad on the MN selling board now in the hope of attracting less scary people (potentially grin ) but I don't know if there is a better way of selling locally. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Momzilla82 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:58:38

There's a bugaboo selling page on fb. But there's been a few dodgy people on there recently too.

TwitchyTail2 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:59:55

Thanks Momzilla, I'll have a look at that.

I wonder if there's something about Bugaboos that attracts weirdos grin <looks appraisingly at self in mirror>

Momzilla82 Sun 07-Jun-15 21:00:42

Just checked the group is called bugaboo selling Uk. It's a closed group you can join.

lentilpot Mon 08-Jun-15 02:46:35

Do you have any area outside the front of the house where they could view without coming in?

purplemurple1 Mon 08-Jun-15 04:36:57

We met buyers at work in car park rather than at home would that work?

TwitchyTail2 Mon 08-Jun-15 08:41:36

Thanks all. Lentilpot and Purple yes those are good options. We do have a front garden and there is actually a park just around the corner from our house - so would it be acceptable to suggest a meeting there? I didn't want to offend people but it seems good sense to use a public place.

Momzilla I think I found the group. I've got a couple more people who seem serious, but if they don't work out will probably give the group a try. Thank you!

TarkaTheOtter Mon 08-Jun-15 08:54:46

I've met people out and about before and not been offended.
Is your advert a good representation of its condition? Seems strange to have two viewings and for neither of them to take it.

TwitchyTail2 Mon 08-Jun-15 11:54:02

Thanks Tarka that's good to know.

Sorry, it was two viewers who came together (I assume partners), not two separate viewings. They said it was too small for them. Fair enough, it was just their whole manner was a bit weird, as if they weren't interested in it from the start but then took a while to leave.

TwitchyTail2 Mon 08-Jun-15 11:59:26

Actually thinking about it more, that's what I found so odd - I assumed anyone buying second hand would have already done their homework re dimensions etc and decided the item was right for them, and the viewing would be just to check the item is in as-described condition. They seemed to be casually window shopping if not trying to rob my house Is this the norm for buggy selling or was I just unlucky?

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 08-Jun-15 12:00:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 08-Jun-15 12:00:51

TwitchyTail2 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:02:25

Oh bollocks, that's what I was afraid of sad It was a man and a woman.

twistletonsmythe Mon 08-Jun-15 19:10:44

just make sure buyers only pay with cash, and don't let them into the house in future.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 08-Jun-15 19:11:28

TwitchyTail2 Wed 10-Jun-15 16:42:24

Sold it. Phew! Full asking price. Also not yet been burgled, clearly we don't have much worth coming back to nick grin

Don't fancy doing that again though. Think I'll stick to charity bags and Freecycle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now