Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Can you really not push a Maclaren one handed?

(42 Posts)
Ijustworemytrenchcoat Fri 08-May-15 13:09:55

I mean without a struggle? I would be getting a Quest and would need to steer the (empty) buggy one handed while my toddler lies on the floor screaming walks.

I am tired of trying and failing to steer my BJCM one handed while also trying to steer my toddler. I keep crashing it in to things and it's a bit embarrassing.

scampidoodle Fri 08-May-15 13:16:04

I have that Maclaren and can push it one-handed, whilst holding my toddler's backpack strap (she gets in and out of the pushchair). Just make sure you lock the wheels.

YouMakeMyHeartSmile Fri 08-May-15 13:17:23

I have the Quest. I can push it one handed but I can't steer it!
I hate the Quest, wish id never bought it.

TeaPleaseBob Fri 08-May-15 13:19:39

I can steer quest or BJCM one handed. Find quest easier if front wheels locked though.

I do find BJCM slightly easier with single handle bar however.

nousernamesleft Fri 08-May-15 13:24:41

I can push my bjcm double one handed grin
Sorry, not helpful

ShelaghTurner Fri 08-May-15 13:28:38

You can't push a BJCM one handed?? I've had 5 of them and they're fabulous one handed. You've got no chance with an umbrella fold then!

MaraThonbar Fri 08-May-15 13:58:52

If you can't push a BJCM one-handed then I think you'll struggle with a Quest, or any other umbrella fold. Sorry. Have you tried locking the wheels on the BJCM?

TwilightSparkle Fri 08-May-15 14:18:03

No. You can push, but you can't steer, so if you're in a shop or other enclosed space you'll keep accidently ramming into things <bitter experience>

I have a BJ versa and find it much, much, much easier one handed - I do it all the time because I hold my older DD's hand whilst pushing the baby. Maybe 4 wheels is easier than 3?

Ihateparties Fri 08-May-15 14:20:59

A city mini sure ought to be easier, is it the width catching you out? It's not a small pushchair when open but I always found it manoeuverable. I too often pushed the half loaded double one handed whilst wrangling a stray child with the other.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Fri 08-May-15 14:22:39

I never really managed to steer a two handled buggy with one hand, they're just not designed for it

littlesupersparks Fri 08-May-15 14:23:32

I manage... When I had a toddler on reins though I lopped the reins over the handle and then hold the handle.

Ijustworemytrenchcoat Fri 08-May-15 20:22:58

Sorry I can push it one handed, I'm not quite that weak, I meant steer. I actually find the BJCM quite heavy to steer one handed and find it veers into things - I sent it back shortly after I bought it but Baby Jogger said there was minting wrong. It's partly the width * Ihateparties*, but mostly it just seems to have a mind of its own and veers off course. It makes my wrist ache too trying to turn it.

I was hoping with the Quest being more lightweight it would help. I hadn't thought of locking the wheels, won't that make it awkward to turn? I'll try that when I'm next out.

No, don't say you hate it YouMakeMyHeartSmile I am starting to think I will never find something I am happy with.

MaraThonbar Fri 08-May-15 20:35:33

We borrowed a Quest from a friend when our Joolz had a puncture. We were grateful for the generous loan but I bloody hated the Quest - sorry. It felt flimsy and rattly and was a nightmare to steer over anything but the very smoothest of pavements (which are not plentiful in our corner of SE London).

Sorry.

MaraThonbar Fri 08-May-15 20:36:35

What about a lightweight non-umbrella fold? A Nuna Pepp, or a Micralite perhaps?

NightsOfGethsemane Fri 08-May-15 20:41:41

I've had both a Maclaren and. BJCM and the BJCM is far far easier to push and steer on handed. I can confidently push it across a road while holding my toddler's hand. Impossible for the Maclaren.

As previous poster suggests, maybe try a Microlite?

NightsOfGethsemane Fri 08-May-15 20:43:32

Or a Bugaboo Bee if funds stretch? Very light and easy to push/steer with one hand.

Laquila Fri 08-May-15 20:44:52

I have a Versa GT (brilliant and does everything but heavy and bulky to get in and out of the car), then a Quest for holidays (practical in terms of size but flimsy and terrible hood, also v hard to steer one-handed).

A couple of weeks ago I bought an ancient second-hand BJCM for hols and it's now my main buggy - it's bloody brilliant. Nice to push, fantastic hood, great recline, good basket, fits in an IKEA storage bag on the plane. I'm afraid I agree that if you struggle pushing/steering a BJCM one-handed, you're unlikely to get on any better with a Quest. Sorry, Trenchcoat!

TarkaTheOtter Fri 08-May-15 20:48:50

I have a second hand bugaboo bee and can push it one handed even with 1yr old in seat and 3yr old on buggy board.

I hated the quest and found it really hard to push full stop.

TarkaTheOtter Fri 08-May-15 20:50:24

Ooh I like the ikea bag idea Laquila, I wonder if the bee would fit in one.

ElizabethG81 Fri 08-May-15 20:51:45

I find Maclarens hideous to push. I can steer a BJCM double with one hand, so if you struggle with a single BJCM then I wouldn't go near a Maclaren.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 08-May-15 20:52:43

I had a Quest and it was a nightmare to steer after my Quinny Buzz . Got used to it in the end though .

beckworth Fri 08-May-15 20:53:01

Babyzen yoyo steers like a dream one handed. Also folds small enough to go on a plane as hand luggage- collapses and folds up with a shoulder strap.

TheOriginalWinkly Fri 08-May-15 20:55:16

You could go big and get a second hand old model uppababy vista. They're heavy but I can steer mine with the tips of two fingers.

Coldcabbagestew Fri 08-May-15 20:58:57

If the fold and weight isn't too much of an issue I would say go for a mountain buggy. My swift was by far the easiest to push one handed

YouMakeMyHeartSmile Fri 08-May-15 21:36:49

Sorry OP, I really do hate it though! Flimsy, rattly, hard to push, tiny shopping basket, tips over if you put anything on the handles when baby isn't in it... I could go on.
My huge uppababy vista is much easier to push and steer one handed than the maclaren. DH broke his hand over Christmas and had to use the vista rather than the maclaren as he just couldn't steer it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now