Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Big wheels, compact when folded, works with buggy board - possible?

(13 Posts)
imnotanimp Mon 16-Mar-15 12:01:43

Is there such a thing as neat and nifty buggy, with wheels big enough to handle a walk in the woods but small enough to spend half it's life folded in the hallway, that also comfortably accommodates a child on a mini buggy board so I don't dread pushing them about, that's affordable or commonly available second-hand? I know this is a lot to ask for!

Regretting selling my Baby Jogger City Select double yesterday but it was massive to store and had become to heavy to push with a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I went off-road with an umbrella stroller and broke the front wheel off so I need something sturdier, but still would rather stick to small. The buggy board thing is probably the most important bit. My 4 year old is rubbish at walking for long and I hated stooping over her and tripping on the board when it was attached to the umbrella stroller.

Advice greatly appreciated

SophieandHerSnail Mon 16-Mar-15 21:05:39

I think a mountain buggy can take a buggy board?

I am interested in the responses, because I want the same thing (except the buggy board bit!).

lentilpot Tue 17-Mar-15 08:41:22

The baby jogger versa gt fits the bill for off-road and slim to store - but it's pretty heavy and doesn't freestand, which might be what you're after for the hallway. I don't know what it's like with a buggy board and it's probably overkill for a 2 year old!

Ihateparties Tue 17-Mar-15 09:48:08

Are you wanting to use the buggyboard during the off road walking? I'm not sure how well that will work if so.

The most compact pushchairs I can think of with decent wheels are the city mini gt or a mountain buggy swift. The swift isn't really compact folded but is smaller when open and works with a lascal mini nicely. The gt works with a board too, imo less well but you can do it.

A smaller buggy with biggish wheels but not an off road one per se is the red kite zumi, I used one with an air tyre kit (imported from the usa, unfortunately not available here) for ages and it was great as an all rounder. I do very little genuine off road though, mostly just poor surfaces, cobbles etc.

The lascal mini fits on that too, might be a bit of a squeeze to fit a 4 y o through the handle gap on a lot of forward facing pushchairs. If the buggyboard situation is going to be ongoing and is used frequently I'd go for a reversible pushchair.

GrottyPotPlant Tue 17-Mar-15 13:19:41

I'm a happy convert to the Micralite, who do an integrated buggy board, having just been given one as a hand me down. Not sure how common they are, or if I just super lucked out!

Big, air filled back wheels, nifty on the bus, very clever fold which is freestanding and has the footprint of a large rucksack.

Ihateparties Tue 17-Mar-15 13:36:34

Oh that's a good idea. The twofold has the incorporated board, the others take a board and have handle extensions to make walking behind easier.

imnotanimp Sun 22-Mar-15 21:27:17

Ah thank you! I didn't think anyone had responded and am still stewing in indecision so your advice is very much appreciated. Do you know if the britax b motion has room for a child to stand?

I like the mountain buggy and will check out the swift. My partner's disapproval of purchasing this buggy and inability to let things lie will probably mean the new one gets shamefully hidden in the boot of my car, so folded size and stability not a major issue.

Red kite zumi is a great tip as I'd stumbled across it on the tesco website, very cheap and wondered if the price tag was too low for it be good. will see about air tyres.

Ihateparties Sun 22-Mar-15 21:33:38

Before I got the zumi I used the b motion.. Forgot about that. I liked it a lot but it's hard work to turn. There's more room on that that the zumi, which probably wouldn't be much use to you without the air tyre option. If you can live with heavy steering then the b motion is a solid option.

imnotanimp Mon 23-Mar-15 09:58:19

I did some investigating on the air tyre possibility and I give up. Also not sure about the fixed handle and lack of rear suspension but, for the price and the fact I only need it to last a year or so, it might be worth the potential compromise.

If the steering on the b motion is hard work I think i'd resent the extra £100 it costs over the zumi. I like the tyres and suspension and the flexible handle though.

Have been looking at Micralites this morning... the superlite looks fantastic but not so keen on the tip of the seat for bigger toddlers. The toro is a contender but the additional cost of the handle extenders and the micralite rider board, which I'll likely not need in a few months, puts it outside of my budget. And maybe its annoying having to access the basket from the front.

Wish I could spend longer choosing but, having no buggy at all, I must make a decision and order it now. So Zumi, Toro, B Motion...

Ihateparties Mon 23-Mar-15 10:40:31

The b motion is without doubt a much sturdier and significantly heavier pushchair than the zumi and better for a board. They were great value when Kiddicare sold them off for 90 odd quid. I think I'd have been less pleased had it cost more like £200.

The zumi is very much a "take it for what it is" product, the fabrics look cheap, it doesn't have a high quality feel. I used mine daily for over a year, 3 miles ish a day and nothing broke or went wrong. I recently sold to a friend but I still have the air wheels in the loft because they aren't safety approved here and are designed for the 4 wheel version anyway so double unapproved.

imnotanimp Fri 19-Jun-15 22:51:39

Have been meaning to update this and thank you Ihateparties and GrottyPotPlant for bringing my buggy search to an end. I went for a Micralite Toro and i think it's perfect. Very bouncy, neatly adjustable seat, swivelling adjustable handle bar so suits me at 5'5" and my friend's DH at 6'5", and so much room to comfortably house my 4 year old on the buggy board and allow my to stride without tripping. Love it. Best thing is it collapses and stands upright in my hall compactly. Also great to have the back wheels so big and close together, allows you to tilt the chair back and handle and turn in difficult terrain with little effort. Ihateparties I still covet your attic wheels. Auction!

WineandDine Sat 20-Jun-15 18:44:49

I can recommend the Mountain Buggy Cosmopolitan. Nice big wheels, fits a buggy board and fairly compact when folder. Not many around 2nd hand but got a good deal on the Mountain Buggy website in the Sale section.

WineandDine Sat 20-Jun-15 18:46:12

Oops just realised how old this post is! Glad you're sorted OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now