Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

First baby on way...buy a tandem now or single?

(12 Posts)
evb83 Sat 07-Feb-15 18:15:04

Hi, we have our first baby on the way but are definitely envisaging more, ideally a max of 2 years apart. We were wondering whether it would be best to get a pushchair now that can convert into a tandem, to save buying a tandem a couple of years down the line, or whether that's being a bit too forward thinking?! It does seem to limit our options of what we ca buy and the ones that convert into tandems seem really expensive. Then again we can afford it now whilst we're still on two salaries. What would others suggest? Those of you that have a toddler and a newborn - what pushchair do you use? Thanks all!

FATEdestiny Sat 07-Feb-15 18:19:44

That is the sort of forward planning I would do.

I bought a single travel system which I used for DC1, reused for DC3 and DC4.

For DC2 (who was only 14 months younger than DC1) we got a double pushchair and used for about 18 months until DC1 was walking fully.

MagicAlwaysLeadsToTrouble Sat 07-Feb-15 18:26:49

I used a phil and teds for mine (20 months apart) and didn't love it but it did the job. But I wouldn't have chosen it as a single as its quite bulky.

It's a nice idea but you never know what might happen (ie you might have a larger age gap than you plan) and then you have ended up compromising on a single buggy (that you will end up using for both children) that you don't love.

I say buy what you want. If you end up needing a double then sell and re-buy. Unless the single you are happy with happens to convert then that works!

LovelyWeatherForDucks Sat 07-Feb-15 18:32:33

There are a few travel systems which have an optional second seat add on - uppababy vista and one of the Icandy ones.

However, I'd just say get what toy want / what suits now and it's easy enough to sell/find a cheap double if you need it

PotteringAlong Sat 07-Feb-15 18:34:14

If buy what suits now - you never know what might happen and it's better to have something that fits. You can always sell it on if needs be later and buy a tandem.

tortoisesarefab Sat 07-Feb-15 18:35:36

I wouldn't get a tandem for one child. Even in single mode they tend to be quite big and annoying to fold down. There are so many more nice singles than doubles, just get the pram you want and then sell it and buy a tandem if you have another close enough.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sat 07-Feb-15 18:42:14

Not everyone who has two or more kids ever uses a double. And circumstances may well affect age gaps. Buy what suits now.

Awakeagain Sat 07-Feb-15 18:43:01

We have the oyster but I wish we had the oyster max (it wasn't out when ds1 was born)
Some of the icandy ones also aren't any bigger for a single that converts

Go to a bigggg shop and look at ones that convert
I wish I had

BikeRunSki Sat 07-Feb-15 18:49:10

Buy what suits now.
Then, depending on what happens in the future, sell it and buy a double.
Or keep it; buy a double and the pram you buy now again when older child no longer needs Rge fouble but younger one does.
Or keep it and use a sling with a second child.

But buy what suits now. You can not plan for the future where either children's abilities and personalities are concerned, or fertility.

There is always a decent market for buying and selling well looked after, well known prams/pushchairs/travel systems. Bugaboo, iCandy, BabyJogger, McLaren, Phil and Teds etc.

Ihateparties Sat 07-Feb-15 19:40:45

It can work imo if you're not after perfection from your pushchair at every stage. So if you won't mind that your single pram is big-ish and harder to push than a pure single, that as a double it doesn't have the exact seat positions you want, or your elder child looks big in the seat etc. Plus any potential issues surrounding conceiving a second child with the timing you're aiming for.

There are lots of variables, if you're fairly relaxed about the specifics then maybe it works and you save money and the hassle of buying and selling etc. It's worth noting though that if you went for something like an Icandy peach, a new vista or even an oyster max then you could almost certainly buy a smaller, lighter, practical single pushchair and a cheaper type of double for the same amount of money.

It would never have worked for me personally but I do think it has the potential to.

Artandco Sun 08-Feb-15 10:00:59

I wouldn't. We have a 15month gap And never bought a double

Loveallmyboys Sun 08-Feb-15 10:24:07

I had a single pram/pushchair that I loved but when ds3(unexpectedly) made an appearance, I bought a mint condition pre-loved icandy apple2pear. Paid about £300 for it.
I used it for a few weeks before new baby arrived and it was great as a single. Has a newborn nest aswel as chair for toddler. It's quite heavy as a double(lazy almost 3yo won't walk anywhere!) but it's easy to fold and you don't have to take seat units off before you fold it.
In hindsight I'd have got this pram first time around as it would have cost the same new as the 2 prams we ended up having to get

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: