Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. To find out which pushchairs have won Mumsnet Best, read our lightweight pushchair and pram reviews. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic.

micralite

(12 Posts)
ghostspirit Sat 07-Feb-15 15:18:59

can anyone tell me anything about the micralite. is good for buses. suited from birth? or is there anything simlar. what are the pros and cons? are the back wheels narrow? the handles look odd to me. the seat does not look very comfy/padded. although i have only seem pictures so could be wrong. is there anything simlar on the market. thanks

meditrina Sat 07-Feb-15 20:12:03

the Fast-fold?

They claim it's suitable from birth, but I think you're right about it not looking comfy and they sell liners/padding separately. It looks wide, but says only 40cms.

When you say 'something similar' - what features about this one are the ones that matter most to you?

MrsTuppence Sat 07-Feb-15 20:19:14

We absolutely love our micralite, but I wouldn't use it from birth as it didn't recline very far. We used it from about five months, once ds2 could almost sit up. The back wheels are narrower than the front. The handle bars are very comfortable because they're adjustable. The standing fold and the big inflatable back wheels are fantastic. We always get asked about it when we're out, you don't see many around.

MrsTuppence Sat 07-Feb-15 20:20:34

Oh I should have said we have the fast-fold superlite.

ghostspirit Sat 07-Feb-15 20:51:32

i think there is one called micralite turbo. seems a bit more padded.

meditrina im looking for something that does not have really wide back wheels like alot seem to. i need it suited from birth ok to use on buses. but i dont want a standard boring pushchair.

meditrina Sat 07-Feb-15 21:11:44

If you mean the Toro, it's considerably wider than, say a McLaren (also easy to fold, some suitable from birth). And as you need one for going on buses, then width really is going to be important.

muffpuff Sun 08-Feb-15 01:51:09

The Micralite Fastfold and Toro are the same frame but with different seat units.

The fastfold is a hammock seat with minimal recline and the Toro is a more structured bucket seat that tilts back but doesn't lie flat for a newborn. Both are suitable from birth with the carrycot or maxi cosi car seats.

I liked the big back wheels and the handlebar is actually very good as it allows for lots of positions to hold in, the fold is quick but I could never do it one handed. I wouldn't use it on buses because the fold is quite big and the front wheels are quite wide which can make it tricky to navigate narrow spots.

I know what you mean about the boring pushchair but you can jazz even the dullest pushchair up with a funky BuggySnuggle. I'd suggest having a look at something like the Britax B-Agile, M&P Armadillo, Quinny Zapp Xtra 2, Baby Jogger Vue and the Nuna Pepp if its mainly for public transport as these are relatively compact.

meditrina Sun 08-Feb-15 09:29:12

That is for explaining about the frame!

I think the site I was looking at to check dimensions must have a typo.

If you are going on buses a lot, as think it's important to get the narrowest pushchair you get along with. The ones with wide wheelbases, front or back, just catch on everything.

I had one of the bigger Maclarens (still no wider than even the smallest of the Bugaboos then available - don't know it there's a narrower one since) and got on very well with it.

MissWimpyDimple Sun 08-Feb-15 09:56:55

I had both the fastfold and the toro. DD was about 6 months and never seemed comfy in the fastfold, the toro was great for that but v big folded.

The front wheels are very wide and do catch on the bus.

How about a bee or a yoyo

Artandco Sun 08-Feb-15 09:58:57

Have a look at the baby zen yoyo 0+ if you want suitable for Newborns and buses

meditrina Sun 08-Feb-15 12:59:30

"That is" - weird DYAC. If was meant to be "thanks"

kerge Mon 09-Feb-15 15:57:12

We loved our Micralite Toro. It has a carrycot, lovely and comfortable with a great mattress. The seat unit of the Toro is great and padded, my DD always looked well supported in it. The air filled rear tires were great bouncing off curbs and steps. We took in on buses and tube without any problems. I'd recommend it a 100%.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: